Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 03:51

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Nvidia: PS4 is only a low-end Gaming PC

Discussion on Nvidia: PS4 is only a low-end Gaming PC within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 5,352
Nvidia: PS4 is only a low-end Gaming PC

"Put an end to this!" Developer Nvidia is not going to supply Sony's new console, the Playstation 4, with their graphics chipsets. According to statements of the US-American concern, deals with Sony wouldn't match with their own business model anymore. Now, some time after this decision was made, Nvidia rails against the Playstation 4 console.

Recently, an employee of Nvidia made a comparison between the console and a low-end computer, that doesn't meet contemporary standards.

"Compared to gaming PCs, the PS4 specs are in the neighbourhood of a low-end CPU, and a low to mid-range GPU side. If the PS4 ships in December as Sony indicated, it will only offer about half the performance of a GTX680 GPU, which launched more than a year and a half ago in March 2012."

These are hard words coming from Tony Tamasi. Do you think, that this comparison he made is justified, or isn't it possible to compare a PC with a gaming console?

Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia: PS4 is only a low-end Gaming PC-46193.jpg  
Thanks
7 Users
Old 03/16/2013, 13:25   #2

elite*gold: 100
So True ! but xbox 720 will be the same ... " low-end"
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/16/2013, 14:43   #3

elite*gold: 0
Consoles are always seen as low end gaming PCs. That's nothing new.
A PC HAS to be more powerful simply because the game is not the only thing the PC is processing.

A console is completely different, it has GPUs and CPUs dedicated to exactly what the console is currently doing. So when you're gaming, you're using 100% of the GPU and CPU, none of it is being saved for desktop comp, or browsers, etc.

You can't compare a gaming PC to a console. It's ridiculous. They're meant to be different, there's no real point in putting SLI in a console. Why? Because a console wouldn't even use the 2nd GPU let alone the SLI.

Get the same GPU used in a console and put it in a PC, then try to run the same two games on the console and PC. You'll find that the console runs that game a lot smoother and with better graphics compared to the PC.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/16/2013, 18:19   #4

elite*gold: 834
ok good... so i wont buy nvidia graphic cards anymore..
Old 03/16/2013, 18:47   #5

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaboer View Post
ok good... so i wont buy nvidia graphic cards anymore..
I don't see the logic on this statement, you are saying that you won't buy Nvidia GPU anymore because they won't provide their technology for the PS4? If that's the reason, it makes absolutely no sense since the best graphic cards (for gaming) are Nvidia ones
Thanks
6 Users
Old 03/17/2013, 08:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado18 View Post
Consoles are always seen as low end gaming PCs. That's nothing new.
A PC HAS to be more powerful simply because the game is not the only thing the PC is processing.

A console is completely different, it has GPUs and CPUs dedicated to exactly what the console is currently doing. So when you're gaming, you're using 100% of the GPU and CPU, none of it is being saved for desktop comp, or browsers, etc.

You can't compare a gaming PC to a console. It's ridiculous. They're meant to be different, there's no real point in putting SLI in a console. Why? Because a console wouldn't even use the 2nd GPU let alone the SLI.

Get the same GPU used in a console and put it in a PC, then try to run the same two games on the console and PC. You'll find that the console runs that game a lot smoother and with better graphics compared to the PC.
It doesn't matter if they compare it to PC or not. They want to say that a famous console like PS have to be with new technologies, not a 1 and a half year ago GPU.
Old 03/17/2013, 10:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHeatz View Post
I don't see the logic on this statement, you are saying that you won't buy Nvidia GPU anymore because they won't provide their technology for the PS4? If that's the reason, it makes absolutely no sense since the best graphic cards (for gaming) are Nvidia ones
**** NVIDIA, and pc gaming PS4 FTW
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/17/2013, 21:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metin2Reborn View Post
**** NVIDIA, and pc gaming PS4 FTW
Well, you must keep something in mind, while a console will last you a good amount of years, they get to a point in which they are not that "useful" anymore; for PS2 it was about 6 years, PS3 is still awesome, yet it is getting to its end with PS4, and this will keep going. Yet, with a PC, you get some minor upgrades, and it will last you pretty much all the time you want it to, and about this, there is absolutely no discussion.

That is why debates come between console players, yet no console can be compared to the computational power an actual PC has.
Old 03/18/2013, 00:18   #9

elite*gold: 834
Quote:
so those amd radeon cards r ****?

Quote:
Well, you must keep something in mind, while a console will last you a good amount of years, they get to a point in which they are not that "useful" anymore; for PS2 it was about 6 years, PS3 is still awesome, yet it is getting to its end with PS4, and this will keep going. Yet, with a PC, you get some minor upgrades, and it will last you pretty much all the time you want it to, and about this, there is absolutely no discussion.

That is why debates come between console players, yet no console can be compared to the computational power an actual PC has.
my laptops die after max 2years...
Old 03/18/2013, 00:21   #10

elite*gold: 15
Received Thanks: 1,083
i dont think that the hardware of the new cosoles will be low-end.

and to JohnHeatz:
actually amd has got the most powerfull graphics card(ares 3) and also their normal cards are better and have got a lower price.

7970ghz>680

titan doesnt relly count bcs its to expensive.
and ares 3 ist still better.
Old 03/18/2013, 00:35   #11

ok, so..... in what part do we need a really high graphic card chipset when we already got a recommended requierments graphic for it?

i think i play game because i want to play it, not because i want to upgrade my graphic card
Old 03/18/2013, 00:59   #12

I'm talking due to my own experience, Radeon cards have always failed to me while Nvidia has never done so -to me- therefore, in my experience, Nvidia has better quality cards than Radeon -hence any other- yet, this doesn't mean that the specs of other GPUs aren't better.

Quote:
That, my friend, is why I am talking about computers (desktop), not laptops, as laptops -even the so called "gaming" ones- don't provide room for much enhancements. Try out a desktop and you'll notice the huge difference.
Old 03/18/2013, 13:58   #13
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,470
Quote:
so those amd radeon cards r shit?

laptops cannot be "customized" as a desktop one can
even gaming ones will only last max 3 years
Quote:

I never compare such since some reasons:
  1. PC is using ram and storage for an OS, while a console is dedicated on the game
  2. PC is multi-use, so comparing to consoles is just like comparing cars vs motorcycles. The can take you some places, but each of them can do it on his own way
  3. PC holds their own boundaries, consoles are made a way and they will remain the same until a new one is manufactured
I'm not arguing if PC is better than consoles or reversal(btw, note I'm talking about home consoles, not portable, that's another story), I'm just making a point why I don't argue or even try to compare both systems
On my opinion, I only use consoles for buying exclusives and some games that really catch my eye
PC games for me, I buy them if
  1. They are(will) be mod-able
  2. Is(Will be) on Steam XD
  3. FPS(this one is not a must, but i rather play FPS on PC than console[Black ops 2 on WiiU is pretty good though])
Again, my point is not arguing, but to state why I don't argue on this topics
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/18/2013, 22:50   #14

The fan-boy arguement between AMD and Nvidia is resolved easily by this statement:

For years, nvidia has been dominant in terms of drivers, while AMD took the cake in hardware. Not to mention crossfire has slight advantages over nvidia's SLI. Both are pretty much even in terms of quality, and its mostly a preference. I prefer nvidia (their drivers are far more stable, and when using multiple GPU's, you notice less micro studdering). At the end of the day, it all depends on the gamers budget xD

As for the article, it does not matter what hardware a console uses, so long as it gets the job done. Dont know about you guys, but i still enjoy my nintendo 64 and old school gameboy graphics xD

So long as 10 year old's can teabag and insult grown adults with vulgar langauge in their FPS games at a steady frame rate, i predict PS4 will be just as successful as PS3 was.
Thanks
5 Users
Old 03/19/2013, 02:42   #15

Why Nvidia even want to debate about this?!?

Sony Playstation upgrades every 4/5 years
Nvidia upgrades their cards every 3-6 months!
Intel upgrades their chips every 1-2 months!

Reason why PS4 is not using latest GPU chips (like ridicilous expensive $1000 nvidia titan) is because they're trying to lowest their console price as low as possible but with good graphic performance demand.

Tags
nvidia, ps4