Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 11:06

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

No more used games market for the PS3?

Discussion on No more used games market for the PS3? within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
No more used games market for the PS3?

It has been known for a while how Sony has been trying everything possible to avoid the "Black Market" of PlayStation 3 games, in which players from all around the world re-sell their games after they have completed them, or even those big merchants that sell games in-store and even online by stating that they are pre-owned.

The first step Sony took against this was to implement the "Online Pass" which comes with their games and allows players to use the online features of the game, and can be redeemed just once. Yet, this didn't stop the trading of used games.

So Sony has gone the extra mile now, and has filled the patent for a brand new system, which will be a huge headache for game traders as it seems to be able to stop this market.

This brand new system works by using a protocol similar to the NFC and will be validating each and every game disk through a label or "tag". This tag will indicate if a game disk has been reproduced before on any other PS3 console. This mechanism will block the usage of said disk if it was previously used by another person.

"A game playing system includes a use permission tag provided for use in a game disk for a user of a game, a disk drive, and a reproduction device for reproducing the game. The disk drive reads out a disk ID from the game disk. When the game is to be played, the reproduction device conveys the disk ID and a player ID to the use permission tag. The use permission tag stores the terms of use of the game and determines whether a combination of the disk ID and the player ID conveyed from the reproduction device fulfills the terms of use or not. "

This is explained in the description of this patent.

The main advantage that can be noticed in this system is that this validation happens offline, therefore players won't be able to avoid the "Online Pass" feature just by not being connected to the Internet.

What are your thoughts about this new system? Do you think it will stop the re-sell of games?
Attached Thumbnails
No more used games market for the PS3?-piracy1.jpg  
Thanks
6 Users
Old 01/04/2013, 05:01   #2

elite*gold: 35
Einerseits , andererseits , besitze keine PS3
Thanks
2 Users
Old 01/04/2013, 06:08   #3

elite*gold: 0
2taaaaaaaaaaaaaas
Old 01/04/2013, 06:30   #4

elite*gold: 72
Sony scheint ja schwer daran zu arbeiten Pleite zu gehen.
Damit machen die sich bestimmt keine Freunde.

Also ein Playstation System kommt mir so nicht mehr ins haus wenn man bedenkt das dies nur de Anfang sein kann.

Wer weiß was die Deppen sich noch ausdenken um den Spieler einzuschränken einfach nur noch lächerlich.

Ich hoffe sie machen dadurch genug Verlust um mal zur Besinnung zu kommen...

Sony will destroy their own business with this.
Selling used games was allways a good way for the costumer too save a few bucks.

Sony has to accept this or will in my opinion lose alot of money.

Maybe this is just the beginning.
More and more restrictions will come up until the costumer has nothing to say anymore...

I wont buy a Playstation system anymore Sony has gone way too far with this even though its just an idea right now.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 01/04/2013, 06:45   #5

To be fair, they are losing money due to this black market. Look at it this way, they sell one game for $55.00 which then the buyer resells for $45.00; this game has made a total of $100.00 but $45.00 were not seen by them.

At least it isn't needed to pay any sort of monthly fee in order to play online, all you need to do is get the game (new) and use the Online Pass
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/04/2013, 09:42   #6

I guess the number of jailbreaking the Ps3 will increase rapidly with this ****. Until now i always swapped the games with my friends, for expamle i bought AC3 and my friend bought Skyrim. But now.... lol I'm just an student and not able to buy every month a game for full price. I bet they will have big losses in the next months.
Thanks
7 Users
Old 01/04/2013, 12:37   #7

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 5,352
I guess, that prices for PS3 games will increase again due to this. Games are already having less and less content - with this system most games will get useless pretty fast.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 01/04/2013, 12:59   #8

elite*gold: LOCKED
Wars then probably for Sony and their consoles. R:I:P
Old 01/04/2013, 13:13   #9

elite*gold: 417
Was ist wenn ... meine PS3 kaputt ist, ich sie einschicke und eine neue erhalte ... dann funktionieren die Spiele doch auch nicht, oder?

Oder was wenn in der kaputten PS3 genau das teil ersetzt wird das für das abgleichen der ID zuständig ist?

...das gibt probleme :S
Old 01/04/2013, 13:38   #10
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,469
having this plus the release of the Lvl 0 keys is bringing PS3 down
I usually prefer other consoles over PS3, but i find that Sony should strengthen their security to avoid their downfall
I'm pretty sure that Sony is going to have a bad time as well as other companies(microsoft, Nintendo) as they always do with piracy problems
Old 01/04/2013, 16:01   #11

so this means if i buy an UNOPENED game from ebay or any other online store for less than it is in real stores.. i cant play it?
Old 01/04/2013, 20:31   #12

Aslong as it's sealed from factory. and NOT OPENED. You can play it no matter what the cost was on ebay lol
Old 01/04/2013, 20:50   #13

In here the system they will use will just block games which have already been used. Therefore, if you purchase a new game, you can, if it is a "pre-owned" game that was used, it won't work
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/04/2013, 23:48   #14

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 1,560
Meh, why am I not surprised? I guess because SONY were always acting so jewish. PS3 was **** already, now, when PS4 comes with that technology, they're most likely gonna get ****** by Microsoft's Xbox...

... that was obvious the day they announced these two new-gens.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/05/2013, 03:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze* View Post
Meh, why am I not surprised? I guess because SONY were always acting so jewish. PS3 was **** already, now, when PS4 comes with that technology, they're most likely gonna get ****** by Microsoft's Xbox...

... that was obvious the day they announced these two new-gens.
Microsoft's next gen Xbox is already going to be doing something like this, and probably even more, if rumours about what more they are going to do are to be trusted. Supposedly you aren't going to be able to even use it without an internet connection, on top of things like this.
Not to mention, Xbox's "Online pass keys" exist now and are pretty gay themselves.
This is the way all consoles seem to be headed.
Thanks
2 Users

Tags
ps3, sony