Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 23:49

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

The casual MMORPG - Just a fable?

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
The casual MMORPG - Just a fable?

The term “gamer” has been coined for people who habitually play computer games. This term can be broken into two terms relevant to what I want to talk about, on one hand there’s your “hardcore gamer”, these people will - by stereotype - own an Xbox 360 or an expensive computer, and enjoy hours of pwning noobs, announcing the inferiority of others and spending all of their money on the latest, but not necessarily greatest new games. On the other hand, we have the “casual gamer”. Once again by stereotype, these people generally own a Wii or more standard personal computer, enjoy playing the occasional round of Mario Kart or a few idle games of solitaire, and will generally only spend money on a game that particularly piques their interest, if at all.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games, or MMORPGs, are often a crucial part of the hardcore gamer stereotype, but what I’m wondering is: are there any casual MMORPGs? Is it the nature of the beast that MMORPGs are just going to require hours of attention and time spent to achieve maximum enjoyment? I like a good RPG as much as the next guy, and there are some fine casual RPGs out there, don’t get me wrong, but does this transfer into the MMO world?

I’ve seen word around the web of big name games like World of Warcraft and City of Heroes/Villains being great for casual gameplay, but are they really? It seems this always has a limit, and that you can’t really play casually until endgame without hitting some major speed bumps. In every single MMORPG I’ve ever played, which admittedly is quite a few, there has almost always been some sort of heavy element that stopped me from playing further. This usually involved either the other players being bothersome, or the game itself simply losing its appeal. Is this always the case, or are there a few quality titles out there that don’t require me to sit there for hours just to get to a point where I can fully enjoy the game?

In a sense, there is one slight exception to my above rant, that is F2P or free to play MMORPGs. These games are often referred to as free to play, pay to win. The idea is that it’s free to play this game, but you can give the hosting company money in exchange for ingame items or some sort of boost/advantage over other players. So, if you have lots of money to be spending on these kinds of games, can you play casually and enjoy it just as much? Can you really replace time and effort with cash out of your pocket? Of course this can also work in reverse, where free to play MMOs are often more tedious and difficult to get into than your typical buy-in-the-shop pay to play MMORPG. And of course it shouldn’t go without saying that some P2P MMORPGS do in fact have an item mall, and are considered pay to win on an extra level.

I believe it’s worth noting at this point that I’m definitely only talking about MMORPGs, and not the abundance of different types of online games available today. There are plenty of casual games available to be played online, sometimes even competitively (Mario Kart, for example). My personal preference for casual online games is the classic first person shooter. MMOFPS games have taken off like a shot in the past decade, with huge titles and franchises giving us players a plethora of choice. This varies from military shooters like the Call of Duty or Counter Strike series to more fantasy and sci-fi styled games, for example, Halo. It makes things a lot easier when there are no RPG elements to it, for example the prestige system in Call of Duty games giving players of higher prestige better choices of weapons and buffs. A lot of free to play MMOFPS games have the same pay to win style system as free to play MMORPGs, and can offer top quality weapons and items in exchange for your real cash. It then becomes akin to bringing a minigun to a knife fight, the players who pay are often overpowered and underskilled, and a lot of the fun is lost. I’ve found that the best way to really enjoy an online first person shooter is to buy the game. Buying the game generally sets everyone on an even playing field, with the exception of the Call of Duty series, even then the difference might not be so bad.

Do you think we’ll ever really have a quality MMORPG? Has there been some to date that I’ve missed? Are there any great casual RPG series that should go online? Please let me know in the comments below!

Image courtesy of ONRPG.
Attached Thumbnails
The casual MMORPG - Just a fable?-casual_gap.jpg  

Thanks
20 Users
Old   #2

I totally agree with you.

A RPG/MMORPG is a type of game that is supposed to be played "hardcore" by definition ( ROLE PLAYING ).

You cannot enjoy it without having to invest countles hours into "developing" the role that you are playing.

One MMORPG that you MIGHT play it casually, is Cabal Online, you need to invest around 5-10 hours at start to get to a decent level and then you can just do some dungeons which can last between 10 min to 2 hours, depending on your choice.

Nice article, alot of the MMORPG players have encountered this problem.

Thanks
2 Users
Old   #3

That's a pretty fair point, and I noticed lately when playing C9 a lot, that game can be played very casually, and it's the fact that there are less RPG elements to it that make it playable at a casual level, I think. So maybe it is as you say, and it's the RPG elements that make it hardcore. There's really a lot more to be said about this topic, one could probably write far more than that short feature on it.

I played Cabal a bit on a PServer, it seemed fun but I never got into it, it had the same effect as I mention in the article, and I also heard it gets very pay to win towards endgame.
Thanks
2 Users
Old   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrug View Post
That's a pretty fair point, and I noticed lately when playing C9 a lot, that game can be played very casually, and it's the fact that there are less RPG elements to it that make it playable at a casual level, I think. So maybe it is as you say, and it's the RPG elements that make it hardcore. There's really a lot more to be said about this topic, one could probably write far more than that short feature on it.

I played Cabal a bit on a PServer, it seemed fun but I never got into it, it had the same effect as I mention in the article, and I also heard it gets very pay to win towards endgame.
Indeed, it gets kinda pay2win, but you still need to have some luck on drops.You either have to invest thousands of euros to get a "win" set or play hardcore to get the items by dropping them.

Either way, the game is no longer fun ( for both hardcore nor casual players) at endgame levels.Best option is to stop leveling at mid-high levels like 120-150 and just do dungeons.

As far as the subject is concerned, you can even publish a thick book about role playing.

Thanks
1 User
Old   #5

hey

I recomend Dota 2 . Sure its not an MMORPG . but its exactly what you need.

COme home plug in , beat the noobs, plug out , get on with your life. NO countless hours of grinding farming and **** like that. just Pure SKill(talent) Showing .

its like playing Soccer(football) mostly, 1 or 2 matches of it i mean(180 mins per day is enough and gets you a very very Big Grin at the end of it , if you got the talent for it. i played 2 mmorpgs. and they only exist to draw money from people. or to suck theyr lifes out. + they do bad for you health. Trust me mate go play an RTS. or DOta 2 cause its and RTS an RPG and has a football atmosfhere in it all in 1 game. (its best played on Lan vs friends )
Thanks
1 User
Old   #6

Hmm, i would count Trackmania into this, you'll have to practice for hours and hours to get the "skills" . Currently I'm playing Trackmania 2. With almost 200hours of playtime in 2,5 months i'm now ranked top 1000 in the world along with 100k other players. I'm considered to be one of the best players in my country. I've played with the Trackmania-champion Frostbeule. I've done a lot of things just by putting my time into the game and thats why i'm counting Trackmania to be a game where you need skills to be in the top.
Thanks
2 Users
Old   #7

I agree with FoxRayz, I personally don't play trackmania but my brother did in the past and I can say that without skill You stand to chance to gain top place in a race.

When it comes to MMORPG's, i doubt that there's any where skill really matters, most of them are just 1-2-3-1-6-2 games where nothing else matters. Maybe when we'll get a huge wave of non-target games where skills are not used from hot bar but there are combinations we might see a game where gaming skill really matters.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #8

Well there are couple of games that require skill to win.
Even though they have an option of paying for stuff, you can still win if your are better.
These games are usually TPS (Third person shooting) like S4 League or GunZ (GunZ 2 in the future), Microvolts and others. They are rpg and online, also considered mmo ( personally think its just mo)
The typical mmorpgs are there for hardcore gamers and require grinding a lot ( spending a lot of time doing same thing over and over) or just putting a lot of time in the game to be able to get to the equal level with others. Most of these games are most fun in pvp, but since I said before, you have to spend a lot of time to be able enjoy this way, because of the level difference.

Thanks
1 User

Tags
casual, game, mmofps, mmorpg, online