Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 16:23

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Aion turns into free-to-play

Discussion on Aion turns into free-to-play within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 5,781
Aion turns into free-to-play

Aion was supposed to succeed with a task no other MMORPG ever managed to work out. It was often referred to as the "WoW-Killer" since it was expected to drive WoW out of the market. However, after three years it is definitely clear that WoW is a strong competitor - too strong for Aion. Although having received the coveted Gamescom Award for the "Best Online-Game", the old system has to yield as a decreasing number of players proofed that Aion missed its goal. Of course, this happened for a reason; i.e. "Gameguard", NCSoft's anti cheat solution which has been under heavy criticism for having grave security gaps. Following the criticism, the publisher decided to remove its cheating protection. The result was an even larger loss of players, so NCSoft was forced to adopt more drastic measures: In February 2012, Aion is going to become free-to-play. In addition to this huge change, there will be a new class and several other changes introduced.

Not only the entire system changed to free-to-play, but also the publisher did. Gameforge is now in command of the game. A questionable move, since Gameforge has just recently made bad headlines. What is clear, however, is that players who want to stick to their accounts will be forced to sign a declaration of consent, allowing NCSoft to transmit their data to Gameforge.

Players who still own or used to own valid Game-Time are being given "Veteran"-status which enables unlimited trade system use, just to name one example. Most free-to-play-games alike, there will be also a premium system which unlocks exclusive features to to its subscribers.

An official announcement said:

Quote:
Furthermore there will be specific packages granting you more features, such as setting up your own shop or collecting unlimited amounts of ether or essences. Especially constituent players are given a cause for joy: They will be rewarded for their faithfulness with extra bonuses.
Whether Gameforge is going to succeed in making the game more enjoyable again and adjusting the balance for both free-to-play-gamers and premium-players remains written in the stars. Should they succeed, Gameforge will have a new flagship for sure. Otherwise it could end up in some awkward disgrace. Let's wait and see.

Original by Real~Life:
http://www.elitepvpers.com/forum/mmo...free-play.html
Attached Thumbnails
Aion turns into free-to-play-news_aionnewforums.jpg  
Thanks
13 Users
Old 12/17/2011, 19:37   #2

wow
Old 12/19/2011, 11:35   #3

fail
Old 12/19/2011, 18:44   #4

Received Thanks: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarek View Post
fail
it's the only way they can survive in our western market
Old 12/19/2011, 22:09   #5

Screw Wow Aion4life
Old 12/19/2011, 22:33   #6

elite*gold: 6
The Black Market: 125/0/0
aion is a super game and gameforge will ruin it all! i know lots of people looking for new a new game since gameforge is taking over, including me ^^
Old 12/28/2011, 20:50   #7

aion was a big flop downloaded a 9gb+ file just to be presented with crappy graphics, even perfect world has better design than aion.
Old 12/29/2011, 02:48   #8

yep bye bye aion all people from private server will go to retail. and like what happend to lineage 2 when it turns free to play not enough servers to much lagg....

aion bye i will remember the great time :/
Old 01/01/2012, 21:48   #9

Since korean beta test, (first time i tried aion), It came out extremely boring. Maps are huge quests are all the same go kill that go kill that(not interested at all) For few years I try to play aion each half year and well I can't it's no matter global or private servers, or publishers, Game is to big and boring, there is not really that much action around game, Faction wars become boring after 30min's... I guess they tried to make it's big beautiful game, with lot of futures, Just for example i'm to lazy to figure out all that ****, It's really to much, maps are to big, Faction wars well i never saw them working as they should. So no matter what, game won't go crazy, no matter free-to-play or what, there need's to be done major changes in the game... just my opinion.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/04/2012, 18:54   #10

agree. total boring game
Old 01/06/2012, 08:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezekan View Post
it's the only way they can survive in our western market
Yep, it's true.
Old 01/18/2012, 09:56   #12