Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 12:15

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Activision Blizzard sues Bossland

Discussion on Activision Blizzard sues Bossland within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old 08/18/2011, 19:28   #16

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbloom View Post
atlest blizzard is trying to get rid of bots unlike some companys *cought* silkroad *cought*
LOL'ed. With the way Silkroad is going I am starting to think that Joymax might be getting a share from the goldbot companies.
Old 08/20/2011, 19:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshizno View Post
LOL'ed. With the way Silkroad is going I am starting to think that Joymax might be getting a share from the goldbot companies.
Rename it BotRoad like 95% of people i kno have (:
Old 08/24/2011, 18:09   #18

Bossland can win.

courts only deal with civil disagreements, (someone breaking a contract)
or criminal disagreements (someone breaks the law)

The bot company has not:
-Broken any contract with blizzard, because so long as their bot runs externally from the client, there is no agreement with blizzard and blizzard has no claim against bossland (there is no contract )
-has not committed any crime, there is no law against botting in games, nor is there a law against selling any botting software.

So there is no civil (contractual claim) and no (criminal) claim.

The only claim blizzard can make is for damages (ie: like if someone smashed your car window)
Blizzard can claim
-That the botting software is infringing on their business and causing loss of revenue (due to players quitting because of the bots) (denial of service)
-That the botting software is infringing on their brand because it is lowering the over-all quality of services they provide. (defamation)

In essence, blizzard can only claim that there are damages to their intellectual property and their reputation (they want the reputation for being an game service provider that enforces their games rules).

I predict that the case outcome will be that bossland can continue to sell their botting software, so long as it is not pre-set to connect to blizzards servers (making the bots a bit of a DIY kit), so that any harm done to blizzard with the software is done by private users not directly from bossland.

(thats like saying ill sell you a knife, just don't stab anyone with it, and then the guy turns around and stabs blizzard with it)

In the end bossland is not responsible for what people do with their software.

If this goes to court and there is a ruling, bossland can simply re-tune their software to be slightly less user friendly and they should be able to continue selling their software.

This is all just My Opinion, Law / Courts is a slight hobby of mine.

If someone makes a game, and says, you cant make any software to play my game with, unless you agree, there is no agreement and there is no contract to enforce.
All Bossland has to really do is put in a motion to dismiss, because blizzards claims are hypothetical and frivolous, blizzard would have to provide evidence / analytics to prove that their claims have standing (legal standing) which would give the courts the authority to give a ruling on the matter.

If bossland wanted, they could even without a law firms help, make the case go one for years... to the point where blizzard wouldn't even bother perusing them.

Blizzards only real chance is intimidating the company into submission, all the bot company has to do is reject their claims.
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/25/2011, 08:45   #19

thx
Old 10/31/2011, 16:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy_Waters View Post
Activison Blizzard, publisher of MMO WoW, recently had an action brought against Bossland GmbH. As you may expect, it was of course filed with the Regional Court of Hamburg which we all remember for the case elitepvpers Vs. Frogster.

But what led to this lawsuit?

This is easily explained: Bossland is Germany’s largest bot seller. They distribute both Honor- and Gatherbuddy for WoW.
Bots have always been a thorn in Blizzard’s side, because according to them, bots do not account for fairness in the game. By using a bot, the character is able to move and kill monsters autonomously, so that the actual player can carry on other activities and is not required to sit at the computer.

Bossland was contacted 3 weeks ago and Blizzard proposed a settlement according to which Bossland was to cease sales of their popular bots. Bossland strictly declined this proposal.

This is the view of Bossland’s executive manager. His following quote makes an amicable arrangement definitely inconceivable:

Countless bot users certainly keep their fingers crossed for Bossland, in hope of a positive outcome.

The real complaint has not yet arrived at Bossland’s attorney’s office, but as soon as it does, an extensive statement is expected on the part of Bossland.

And even though one could draw conclusions from the case elitepvpers Vs. Frogster, the outcome of this lawsuit still remains to be seen.

Source: by Casual'

Yep more about this can be seen at
Old 11/09/2011, 02:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcixPro View Post
Why should Blizzard honestly care at all? If someone has a bot account, that just means they are making even more money. I could see the difference if this was a free game with an item mall, but seriously a game like this? This seems like a bad move on Blizzards part because that just means that more accounts will be active at once, making them look better, and more accounts will be payed for monthly.
Why should Blizzard care? Because nobody want to play a game filled with bots. Bots are only good to ruin the game's economy, game experience and community. Someone wants to do a quest and a bot army killing those mobs, someone wants to gather some stuff - a bot army digging all the map, someone wants some help... bots can't help him.
I find it pretty stupid someone is paying monthly fee for a game then pay again for a program to play the game.
Old 11/21/2011, 05:10   #22

i hope blizzard looses. I hate from wow waste of time. And because of it blizzard delays the other good games
Old 11/27/2011, 16:07   #23

as long as the bot doesnt edit client data meaning it just controls the input like a macro or so blizzard dont even have a case to argue about, and even if they dont have rules that dont permit usage of certain types of bots they dont have the right to sue anyone for using them, most of online games jus have a rule that prevents usage of third party programs that edit client data in anyway or edit client related data like packets or so and i dont think they have the right to prevent usage of macros or any other bot like it cos they dont own the user's pc
a lame example(couldnt come up with a good one):blizzard is like someone giving you money that he owed you or whatever well its just your money now and he refuses that u spent it on buying a new car for example
not exactly the same as this example but a bit like it
Old 01/06/2012, 21:45   #24

Update