Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 06:40

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Are Gamedevelopers Gods?

Old   #1

elite*gold: 28719
The Black Market: 138/0/0
Received Thanks: 21,291
Are Gamedevelopers Gods?

In advance I want to make clear that this is a very abstract mindgame which is why I don't want to start a "possible-impossible" discussion. Still I had the nearly fractious impulse to write down and publish my thoughts concerning this. I also want to highlight that it is not my intention to appear blasphemous even if I might do so. It is also not my intention to offend religious people with my words. This text conerns religion too but it's not the main topic in my opinion. So in advance I apologize to all the people who feel offended in their belief after reading this text.

How do I get to such a topic? I got the impule while being in my bed where I get many ideas. I couldn't sleep so I thought about what kind of game I would develop if I was in the position. Many ideas came to my mind and I got all worked up with it and finally I thought about how brillant it would be to develop an entire simulation of a whole world. A so-called "open world" without borders, just like ours (in a way).
I had many plans about what job I'd do in the future: writing books, making movies and developing games are outstanding among all the others but in order to get away from me personally: there are a few crucial differences between those 3 jobs or rather those 3 media. Particularly speaking, differences between developing a game and the other 2 options. A book, just as a film, tells a story. Books and films will never be able to go further and that's what makes them what they are. You can easily overview them and they end in a not so far away future. Still you can let yourself go and sink into their worlds and depending on their qulity they might not let you leave too early.
But that is nothing compared to the opportunities a game can provide. In this case one should rather talk about a simulation than about a mere game but I'll stay with the designation "game" for simplicity. However, a game can, just like a boof or a film, tell a story but with the crucial difference that as a gamer you can step in yourself. Where lines in a book or pictures in a film restrict us and strictly regulate what we see (on a screen or in mind) -character X makes a step to the right, jumps onto a moving car- a game leaves us with options. But that's not my point here. I don't want to say that's why games are better than books or films. The other 2 have their advantages. It was necessary to make clear the uniqueness of games and why they meet the requirements of a "divine creation" more than others.

Well, we know that games with their respective worlds are limited to a certain extent. That goes for Tetris over Assassin's Creed to World of Warcraft. So there are games that bind the player tightly to the story (the invisibler barriers, not to be passed by any player) and there are games that do not value a story. For such games, a genre has been created, "Simulation". Let's take The Sims for example. As the palyer you control the life of all playable Sims, just as detailed as the mind of the developer developer and the computer capacity allow. Of course the world of The Sims is not comparable to ours, which seems so incredibly complex. But the Sims developers are working on it since the very first day. Countless Add-Ons have been published in order to make the game more and more realistic. So how long will it be till the Sim, in order to make himself food, has to learn how to do it? From his Sim-mother or a Sim-course for example.
Then what did the developers create? That's what this text is about. How far did you go as a developer, when you created a game in which it is possible to create a game just as complex as the original one? All of that is a dream of the future when it comes to soft- and hardware but theoretically all I described is possible in my opinion. You could see our world as a copy & paste creation in which patterns are repetetive after all. To answer the question: For me, such an act is comparable with the creation of our world. Developers create (or will create) an alternate universe.

Many (or most of you) would argue that there are things human beings cannot emulate. That there are things in here which makes the whole concept of this world unique. Of course you are talking about us humans. We are aware beings. We are aware of ourselves and our environment. If that crazy theory was true, we also could be mere constructs made of code. I respond: Yes, that's what I think. Here you can see how essential the idea of the film The Matrix is. How do we know if passenger X in Assassin's Creed is thinking about his financial situation or not? Or when are we talking about an aware being? Is artificial intelligence comparable with ours which we call natural? I can't answer those questions yet but I don't want to space possible options out. Yes, it might be true that we are just constructions of a genius developer (see the religious sense behind it).

Now I want to extend this little mindgame: Why should we be satisfied with a copy of our world? We could create other universes. Let's take Assassin's Creed as an example now (yes, it's my favorite franchise). I'm no expert on the field of molecular-biology but I assume that in our world it is impossible to gain access to memories of our ancestors with the help of our DNA and a machine. Not to mention that we couldn't possibly enter them. Even though the explanation ingame sounds quite plausible (that's why it is my favorite franchise).
Now, if we could change the physical laws in our alternate universe so that this becomes possible and the universe is logical within itself, then we gain unlimited options as developers. Fantasyworlds evolve , just as realistic as ours.

So if we leave the future and take a look at ourselves (or gamedevelopers of our time), don't we see gods in an embryo-state on the way to the top? And at the same time we could be products of a developer ourselves. In the end every single one of us has to decide for himself if such an act is divine or not. For me there is a clear relation, while of course for me there is more than just creating in the To-Do list of a god. Anyway I didn't find a better designation or comparison for it. So next time when you dive into your favorite game, maybe think about this for a while; maybe you too are just figures in a huge game - puppeteer and puppet at the same time...someone should make a movie about this.

Thanks
11 Users
Old   #2

elite*gold: 300
The Black Market: 141/0/0
Received Thanks: 8,273
Nice english

Old   #3

elite*gold: 0
A very nice article i printed it,if its ok for you i keep it.
I find your ideas interesting and I thougt about it,too
Old   #4

elite*gold: 28
Selber bersetzt?

Old   #5

elite*gold: 3
Received Thanks: 1,333
Well, in my opinion, game developers are "gods", but they can not exist without followers.
Even though they decide what, when, for what price, and maybe even where we're going to play, without the community they would lose all of thier power. A bit like in the "Clash of the Titans". Today I've watched a very interesting show about a game developer "atari", and how they were too decisive about a few things, like what the player will play, and how much people are going to play, sadly it led to a "crash and burn" scenario, I think that they are just as important as the average player, since they try to aim for OUR hopes and dreams, and we decide if they were "dead on" or missed.
It's not about who's better, it's about how well they can co-exist.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #6

Well in my opinion gamedevelopers are hardly gods. Should you even make a complete simulation of the life you live right now theres 2 things going on. 1: it's pointless. 2: You are basing your game on something that has already been created- life, now not getting into religious views, most would agree that's ***. So what you would be doing is putting ***'s work into a video game, just like a story writer would put gods work into a book and a film producer would produce things that *** has in the end made. Game developers are entertainers. And to an extent life itself has it's boundries, such as flying.
Old   #7

elite*gold: 28719
The Black Market: 138/0/0
Received Thanks: 21,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Uchiha★ View Post
Well in my opinion gamedevelopers are hardly gods. Should you even make a complete simulation of the life you live right now theres 2 things going on. 1: it's pointless. 2: You are basing your game on something that has already been created- life, now not getting into religious views, most would agree that's ***. So what you would be doing is putting ***'s work into a video game, just like a story writer would put gods work into a book and a film producer would produce things that *** has in the end made. Game developers are entertainers. And to an extent life itself has it's boundries, such as flying.
As I mentioned, a developer doesn't have to make a copy of this world. It might be possible to create worlds nobody has ever seen or imagined. ***, if he exists, obivously didn't create living Gargoyles. We could if that theory was true.
Old   #8
failing on a final level

elite*gold: 45630
Received Thanks: 24,650
Very interesting ideas, really.
I totally agree that gamedevelopers could be gods.

Quote:
Many (or most of you) would argue that there are things human beings cannot emulate. That there are things in here which makes the whole concept of this world unique. Of course you are talking about us humans. We are aware beings. We are aware of ourselves and our environment.
Actually, the awareness is based on chemical processes in our brain. We don't know how we think or how we feel yet, but we know, everything in our head has a chemical reason.
So, what if knew how our thoughts are built? We could emulate human beings. Those "emulated humans" actually could not be called "emulated", because they would be humans. So, if scientists are able to find out how we think some day, game developers (or actually all developers of robots and software for them) will be what we call a "***".
Old   #9

Well from most perspectives *** is a divine being. Creation is not the only factor of ***. Should you make any NEW emulation, in reality you're still a human being. Albert Einstein had the capability to use 4%(not 100% sure on that i heard it from a few places) more of his brain then the average being. He created destruction, and life, and alot of other things, yet in the end he was still a human being. So calling somebody a *** is really dependive of your relgious values.
Old   #10
failing on a final level

elite*gold: 45630
Received Thanks: 24,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Uchiha★ View Post
Well from most perspectives *** is a divine being. Creation is not the only factor of ***. Should you make any NEW emulation, in reality you're still a human being. Albert Einstein had the capability to use 4%(not 100% sure on that i heard it from a few places) more of his brain then the average being. He created destruction, and life, and alot of other things, yet in the end he was still a human being. So calling somebody a *** is really dependive of your relgious values.
Actually, the "fact" that humans could be more intelligent if they used more than 10 percent of their brain at the same time is a myth.
Old   #11

If you so choose to take this argument in this direction, then we will drop the 'game' status from this development. Also, if you were to construct a new body of reality, it would exist inside the reality of our own, as an addition, a denominate. These developers wouldn't so much assume the role of ***, but as demigods (which could be also considered 'man' in general) as they create from the tools which were given to them, being their conscious minds that are aware of their own reality. In this, you almost run into a paradox. If you create this subreality, and these subrealizations, then only you could define them as real, for the creation would know the limits of your boundries and what you allow. Simple example would be, draw a stick figure on a piece of paper with a emoted bubble saying "I'm real!" It is real, he is saying it's real, but that's about all he can do, as you've decided this. I feel like I'm diluting so I'll stop here.
Thanks
2 Users
Old   #12

Received Thanks: 5,781
A very interesting text you wrote down there. Made me think about gods and mankind ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSm!th View Post
Actually, the awareness is based on chemical processes in our brain. We don't know how we think or how we feel yet, but we know, everything in our head has a chemical reason.
So, what if knew how our thoughts are built? We could emulate human beings. Those "emulated humans" actually could not be called "emulated", because they would be humans. So, if scientists are able to find out how we think some day, game developers (or actually all developers of robots and software for them) will be what we call a "***".
But it's not only this chemical stuff. Nerves lead electric pulse to and trough our brain. These pulse, which are extremely weak (about one to ten A), stimulate cells in our brain to start chemical processes as they are written down in their DNA. The point about these pulse is: We yet dunno why cells know exactly what's to do if they get stimulated by e.g. 5 A and later react totally different while getting stimulated by 15 A. What we know is that there are some phosphorus complex compounds which affect cells to do what they are wanted to. Sorry for all this physiological smartassing ...
Based on the mind game that we'll be able to create human beings like you assumed, we'd still aren't able to. Of course, if we already cracked the myth of how our brain's working, we could create beings which would come as close to a human being as nothing else could come. But these "emulated humans", how you called it, would still do what you programmed them to. No A.I. can ever be more intelligent as its creator for the fact he created it on his knowledge, which sets the borders for the A.I.'s growth.
But I think this is going way to far ... I'd better shut up here.
Old   #13

No! I want more! this is very interesting..
Old   #14

there have been many works done about this subject. one particularly interesting is the philosophy of solipsism.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #15

the main problem is you do not understand the meaning of creation. creation means the you create things not use other existing things to make things. also creation means you make things that there is no example or resemble of it. everything that humans make are based on something or related to something. humans can not create so can not imagine something that is not exist. at the end there is only 1 true *** and you or me basically everybody will see the truths after dead. the *** word is being used for everything and it is totally incorrect. you may call as king or master etc. you can be king of your game for example