Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Dekaron > Dekaron Private Server
You last visited: Today at 01:31

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[QUESTION] Illegal or Legal

Discussion on [QUESTION] Illegal or Legal within the Dekaron Private Server forum part of the Dekaron category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[QUESTION] Illegal or Legal

is it illegaly to host a p-server or is it legal ?
Old 08/07/2009, 19:49   #2

It must be legal as long as you are not making money with it...
Old 08/07/2009, 19:53   #3

elite*gold: 20
ya, as long as you are not making any money off of it, then I'm pretty sure it's legal. There is something that went on with Runescape Pservers though...something about copyright infringement, but I'm not sure what went down with that. rs fails, lol
Old 08/07/2009, 19:54   #4

i think it must actually be quit illegal...since it requires hacking and modifications of files that are created/copyrighted by someone else....if you get caught running a pserver *** only knows what would happen....i could be wrong....
Old 08/07/2009, 19:57   #5

well, if it is illegal, all they can do is force you to shut it down. As long as you're not making money, then the only thing you are doing is providing a free service that Acclaim has a right over.

This is the same thing that happened with Sparky the Star when he raped 2moons. They couldn't get him with any criminal charges because it's a free game, and therefore, no real-life money or possessions were in danger. They just banned him and had to move on...same idea with pservers
Old 08/08/2009, 00:27   #6

from a legal stand point acclaim cant do anything unless u have theyre images that THEY have copyrighted hence the trieste lady as they sent us a DMCA for 2 images on our front page so w e removed them and havnt heard from them since

as per game hi taking legal action to be honest they know it and we know it it would take them far more money and far more resources then wat it is worth to try n track down and bring to justice p servers

a privatly owned server of any game unless it is open source is ILLEGAL by any stand points of the law as you are infringing on intellectual property of someone else thing is most companys that actually own the rights to such games are not bothering with wasting theyre time coming after p servers becuase we are like any type of viral thing on the interwebs you take one out 10 will take its place and it is a never ending thing just like bit torrents .
Old 08/08/2009, 08:25   #7

I believe in America its illegal. Its a different story in other country.

Since the server file you or who ever has it. DOES NOT contain copyright etc. Meaning you did not buy (rent) it from the original source. Which makes it illegal.
Old 08/08/2009, 11:19   #8

I give 40% its illegal.
I read somewhere in GameHi's forums (using a translator lmao) that buying the server files + database files cost 75000000 of that korean money (means around 60 grand USD).
So basicly, hosting the files without paying is illegal... right?

50% of my mind says that the full action 6 files + a6 database cost so much. But we take the old a3 stuff and just modify it right? So we do not need to pay, right?

And 10% of my head thinks, that the a3 files were not given to public on purpose (like cabal, L2, WoW did), but were leeched illegally (like Zero online), so even having the files, not to talk about using them, is illegal.

No, thats not right. 1% of my mind thinks that you shouldn't host the files because it may be illegal..
And the other 99% says, that I don't give a f**k, because there are so many p-servers out right now, that Game-Hi has no chance of stopping the spread.