Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 22:03

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Comet, Open Source Server (5017)

Discussion on Comet, Open Source Server (5017) within the CO2 PServer Guides & Releases forum part of the CO2 PServer - Discussions / Questions category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 3,413
Comet, Open Source Server (5017)

Introduction

Comet is a Conquer Online server project containing an account server and game server. The account server authenticates players, while the game server services players in the game world. This simple two-server architecture acts as a good introduction into server programming and networking. The server is interoperable with the Conquer Online game client, patch 5017 (not provided by this project).

Discussion

This project was initially created for an interview as a 3-week programming project. Now, it's a base source that I'm opening up to the community. Feel free to add to it and submit push requests. I'm mostly active on my GitLab account, so I'll get around to it. Just for warning, this is only a base source. It only logs in and that's it. I'll add to it over time, but is mostly in the hands of the community.

Link

Thanks
16 Users
Old 10/14/2018, 11:44   #2

elite*gold: 0
tbh nice to see something new here
and because i'm big fan of you'r work
I'm going to use it
4h before I was open you thread "Private Server Source Download" and look for a good base but here we go
gj dude
sorry for my bad english

Old 10/14/2018, 18:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark^Magic View Post
tbh nice to see something new here
and because i'm big fan of you'r work
I'm going to use it
4h before I was open you thread "Private Server Source Download" and look for a good base but here we go
gj dude
sorry for my bad english
No worries, man. Thanks for the positive feedback.
Old 10/14/2018, 18:21   #4

I've had access to this before release and I have to say it has some decent ideas and techniques. Pretty sure it will serve as a solid base ready to be built upon and developed. Thank you for sharing. This is exactly what the community needed. New work, new ideas, new and veteran developers coming together to bring this section back to life.

Old 10/17/2018, 01:20   #5

This is quite a nice source pretty solid. i havent touched anything CO related since i worked with hybrid and toshi in CO2.1 i might have to peak through this one some more =D
Old 10/17/2018, 13:57   #6

Hope this will not be throwing to a trash can
Old 10/17/2018, 17:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfly25 View Post
Hope this will not be throwing to a trash can
I think I'll somehow find a way to live with that.
Old 10/18/2018, 13:13   #8

Amazing release!
Thanks for releasing something awesome in the section again.

Keep up the good work, will follow the repo and check if i can contribute to it somehow :-)
Old 11/23/2018, 01:48   #9

This might be exactly what I was looking for! I havent been in the Conquer scene for ages but it would be fun to have a project to work on alongside with my CS studies.

What im wondering is how complex it would be to get a functional server up and running? I feel pretty comfortable with DB handling and security but i have slim to none experience in threading and socket programming
Old 11/23/2018, 05:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeb View Post
This might be exactly what I was looking for! I havent been in the Conquer scene for ages but it would be fun to have a project to work on alongside with my CS studies.

What im wondering is how complex it would be to get a functional server up and running? I feel pretty comfortable with DB handling and security but i have slim to none experience in threading and socket programming
I designed the server to be easily maintainable more than scalable, but it should scale decently for the purpose of a Conquer Online server. Do whatever you want with it, within the limits of the software license, of course. It'd be a good learning experience. I added tons of documentation. Let me know if you have questions, I'm available to help. And as it stands currently, it has no map system. I may add that this year or the beginning of next year. I'm focusing on another project right now, and this was just a quick project for an interview, so it's got back burner status.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/23/2018, 12:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
I designed the server to be easily maintainable more than scalable, but it should scale decently for the purpose of a Conquer Online server. Do whatever you want with it, within the limits of the software license, of course. It'd be a good learning experience. I added tons of documentation. Let me know if you have questions, I'm available to help. And as it stands currently, it has no map system. I may add that this year or the beginning of next year. I'm focusing on another project right now, and this was just a quick project for an interview, so it's got back burner status.
Yeah my aim is basically to learn as much as possible, just a bonus that it intersect with all the nostalgia that conquer induce haha! So a well documented base sounds perfect, ill have a look at the repo as soon as I can.

Thanks for keeping this community alive!
Old 12/03/2018, 00:22   #12

So, i have been following your documentation and i got to this.. what could be the problem ?

Old 12/03/2018, 03:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej12 View Post
So, i have been following your documentation and i got to this.. what could be the problem ?

Click on the right server group and server.
Old 12/08/2018, 02:46   #14

Hello, maybe this is not about your source but i have been running a server making some edits and i tried to make it public.. So i forwarded 2 ports 9958 and 5816 and i added my remote IP adress and when we were trying it with a friend only one of us could log in.. When we both tried to log in or open multiple clients it kept on saying connection interruped.. What could be the problem ? please help, thanks
Old 12/08/2018, 08:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej12 View Post
Hello, maybe this is not about your source but i have been running a server making some edits and i tried to make it public.. So i forwarded 2 ports 9958 and 5816 and i added my remote IP adress and when we were trying it with a friend only one of us could log in.. When we both tried to log in or open multiple clients it kept on saying connection interruped.. What could be the problem ? please help, thanks
I'm confused, is this a question about my source or something else?

« Runtime-generated factory for network messages | Client & Patches »