Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 09:08

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Where to begin?

Discussion on Where to begin? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Where to begin?

I am interested in creating my own source. I know Java and C++ but am willing to learn any language. I'm not looking to open up my own server anytime soon or anything like that. I just want to know how to start creating my own source.
Old 01/31/2018, 05:25   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1cko View Post
I am interested in creating my own source. I know Java and C++ but am willing to learn any language. I'm not looking to open up my own server anytime soon or anything like that. I just want to know how to start creating my own source.
Probably start by downloading a source (COPS v7 is in QT C++ and clean to read). You can also check the dev wiki for algorithms and packet structures, and contribute to it if you'd like. All stickied at the top of sections, packet tutorial in my signature and stickied to the CO2 programming section. Etc.
Old 02/02/2018, 06:55   #3

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
Probably start by downloading a source (COPS v7 is in QT C++ and clean to read). You can also check the dev wiki for algorithms and packet structures, and contribute to it if you'd like. All stickied at the top of sections, packet tutorial in my signature and stickied to the CO2 programming section. Etc.
What I'm looking for is an "big picture" overview about how the client and server work. From what I understand, the clients are usually not hacked but the source is pretending to be an official CO server and communicates with the client via packets.

If this is correct, I guess the place to start would be to understand how the client connects to the server and start from there.
Old 02/02/2018, 18:30   #4

elite*gold: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1cko View Post
What I'm looking for is an "big picture" overview about how the client and server work. From what I understand, the clients are usually not hacked but the source is pretending to be an official CO server and communicates with the client via packets.

If this is correct, I guess the place to start would be to understand how the client connects to the server and start from there.
Client connects to port 9958 (old patches; 9960 in newer ones*) using TCP. That's the Login/Auth server.

Implement the crypto for the version you target ()

Then simply check the packets ()

Without looking at a reference project you'd waste a lot of time guessing what to reply and when (Especially the DH Key Exchange), so go with COPS v7 at least for the login sequence.

* I'm only working on classic versions, port might be different on the latest patch