Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 06:42

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Tips on starting a classic-style CO Server

Discussion on Tips on starting a classic-style CO Server within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Lightbulb Tips on starting a classic-style CO Server

Hello.
I recently took interest into running a private CO Server mostly to run as a side project, were I can learn more about coding from it.
About 5 years ago I did ran servers on both binaries and C#, but I never got really deep on the latter since it was mostly my partner's expertise at the time so he did 99% stuff on that one... To put things on perspective, from my point of view looking at the code I could understand most of it by looking at it, but would not be able to create my own out of the blue if someone requested me to.

Anyways... Since my experience with programming is very limited I'm not able to code anything from the start, so I would like to be referred to a basic (functional) source with classic features (no BP, Fan/Towers, etc) that I could work on it... I've been searching on XtremeTop and what I'm looking for resembles TrueConquer (don't know if you guys know it, but what I would like to achieve is similar to that server in terms of stability and features).

What I want doesn't need to be a 100% bug-free version of any source (and I don't think that such thing exists anyways), but it can't be missing key things either - since I wouldn't be able to fix it.

I would also apreciate if someone could point to me if theres any more sections in here or really just any sites or place I could refer to while looking to understand more of the language used on the source (which I imagine are 'all' C#), so anything that could help on that would also be great.

Thats about it, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 04/27/2015, 05:42   #2

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
TrueConquer uses an updated version of the Redux source that I wrote for them.
ApexConquer uses a downgraded version of the Redux source that I wrote for myself.
ClassiConquerOnline uses a downgraded version of the Redux source that I wrote for them.

TL-DR: In terms of free classic sources Redux is likely the option you're looking for. CptSky has released some awesome stuff with his cops emulators but I've not seen many servers using them publicly so I'm assuming there's some issues in there that I'm not aware of.
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/27/2015, 06:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
TrueConquer uses an updated version of the Redux source that I wrote for them.
ApexConquer uses a downgraded version of the Redux source that I wrote for myself.
ClassiConquerOnline uses a downgraded version of the Redux source that I wrote for them.
Old 04/27/2015, 06:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorev View Post
He mentioned a server and wanted a source like it. I mentioned what source that server is running and other similar servers using the same source as well as a good alternative if he found he didn't like the first suggestion.

k tho.

The only other classic servers not covered by those two suggestions would be xio which is not a public source and heavily modified versions of NCOS which no one should go near.
Old 04/27/2015, 06:44   #5

Forgot the upcoming Messi V12. It's been announced a few hours ago.
GOTCHA!
Thanks
3 Users
Old 04/27/2015, 06:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorev View Post
Forgot the upcoming Messi V12. It's been announced a few hours ago.
GOTCHA!
OOH **** I FORGOT!

If there's one trusted name in classic servers it's messy
Old 04/27/2015, 11:01   #7

Says the guy the rips people off, messy may not be great but **** atleast he offers the community **** without a price.. had my guy run over your code and the feedback was basicly your code is sloppy and could be cleaned up so much.. worst 50 Bucks ive ever spent P4N get your head from outa your *** (Y)
Old 04/27/2015, 16:27   #8

You paid for a handful of bug fixes, a event framework and a few sample events.

Why you're under the delusion that would fix any of the core issues or design mistakes in redux is beyond me. Be bitter all you want but you got exactly what you payed for, a couple hours of my time to fix a specific list of things you were concerned with.
Old 04/27/2015, 21:39   #9

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by foeandfear View Post
Says the guy the rips people off, messy may not be great but **** atleast he offers the community **** without a price.. had my guy run over your code and the feedback was basicly your code is sloppy and could be cleaned up so much.. worst 50 Bucks ive ever spent P4N get your head from outa your *** (Y)
by my rate for what I do work at for how I make a living now, you'd get just a little over an hour of work from me, be happy he did anything at all, it's not worth the time/money
Thanks
2 Users
Old 04/27/2015, 22:33   #10

Wow, just wow. This went a bit off-topic really quick. lol.
Anyways, thanks for the help . I've been messing around and it was a really good starting point, for me at least.
I've been reading a lot of the pages on the Redux's release topic and you mentioned its still missing some minor things - I wonder, do you remember at least a couple of things that are not complete yet or were never coded into the source?

I ask because along with learning the way you structured the source, knowing whats either missing or broken would be great for me to start trying to insert (or fix) them myself. You don't have to give me a full-list on whats not there, just a couple of things so I could have an idea would be great
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/27/2015, 22:50   #11

elite*gold: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob_4ver View Post
Wow, just wow. This went a bit off-topic really quick. lol.
Anyways, thanks for the help . I've been messing around and it was a really good starting point, for me at least.
I've been reading a lot of the pages on the Redux's release topic and you mentioned its still missing some minor things - I wonder, do you remember at least a couple of things that are not complete yet or were never coded into the source?

I ask because along with learning the way you structured the source, knowing whats either missing or broken would be great for me to start trying to insert (or fix) them myself. You don't have to give me a full-list on whats not there, just a couple of things so I could have an idea would be great
I think the mentor system was never implemented, atleast in the public version.
Old 04/29/2015, 00:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk55 View Post
I think the mentor system was never implemented, atleast in the public version.
That seems like a start... thanks.