Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 07:11

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

C# - Events. Why would I use them?

Discussion on C# - Events. Why would I use them? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
C# - Events. Why would I use them?

I know this is sorta offtopic, but the general programming section is mainly german speaking - dont get me wrong, thats my native language, but when it comes to programming I dont even understand exceptions in my language..

My question is rather simple I guess:

Why would i ever your events?

I see no point for them to exist. I can do the same thing on variables by an simple get{} set{} accessor, and within methods, i can simply call another method.

Ofc there might be that thing with subscribing to multiple handlers and unsubscribing, but i can simply do a boolean check within my get / set. Unless im doing like 5 different things in them based on some condition, i´d have to write more code using events.

I hope someone could explain the benefits to me. I´ve been on codeproject and msdn for some time now but cant find a reason to use them. I know how to define them, how to implement them but i fail to understand the point of their existence.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02/24/2014, 14:37   #2

Thanks
2 Users
Old 02/24/2014, 15:08   #3

I am not going to go into details, but how I see it is, that they are good at keeping layers detachable from each other.
Old 02/24/2014, 17:15   #4

And

Old 02/25/2014, 08:11   #5

Okay, I read all of your Posts/Links and came to the conclusion, that there is no point for me to use them yet. I simply dont have any scenarios where it would benefit me enough to consider it.

Imho, delegates and events just kill readablilty.
Old 02/25/2014, 08:57   #6

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Delegates can be very helpful. In fact, you'll see me using them in Project Phoenix's socket system. I use delegates as a replacement for pure virtual functions. Then, inheritance comes into play in initializing those delegates. Just one design idea, but there's a lot of uses for delegates. You can use delegates to point to functions outside a tree or other data structure, or store entire functions to memory in data structures using events. There really is a lot you can do with them.
Thanks
2 Users