Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 05:02

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Connection Question

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Connection Question

What sort of connection is needed for a conquer online Pserver.

1. at max 50 people online

2. at max 100 people online

3. 100-500.

Not sure if I formulated my question properly, but ideally, what sort of up/down speed is needed on a server with low pop at the beginning?

Old   #2

It depends on how the source that makes the server is structured / written imo. If you're talking about the amount of players a server can handle.

Thanks
1 User
Old   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticallyDev View Post
It depends on how the source that makes the server is structured / written imo. If you're talking about the amount of players a server can handle.
The source is going to be custom built. I just want a basic guideline of lets say..worst case scenario for each.
Old   #4

I understand that, but what it comes down to is how you write the source that will later determine it's overall performance.

I can't really give you a proximate number but from what I do know, Threading, Sockets, Handling packets play a major role when it comes to your servers performance and how well it can do with more player activity.

Thanks
1 User
Old   #5

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,306
Most of your issues will be network capability. If you're using a home hosted server (10 mbit or lower upload) then you will definitely run into issues when you start to reach larger online counts (say above 50-100).

If you're writing the source properly and hosting with a 100mbit dedicated line (standard on virtually all vps and dedicated hosts) then you should be fine for a significant number of players as well as greatly reducing pings due to less re-routes getting to your 'middle of no where' server.

If you're talking 500+ players then you'll really run into issues as things get exponentially more expensive when you pack players together in such a small amount of world space. This is because you're linearly increasing the number of players while exponentially increasing the amount of information (players each send a packet to each other player, etc)

At that point though you should be able to afford some serious server hardware and network capabilities to handle it but it mostly comes down to source efficiency when you're talking about these things.

Ram is largely useless but a cheap upgrade. If your source is somehow using like a gig of ram just to run then you either have an insane online count or serious problems.

CPU is always important but barely stressed by most servers until they get that very large player count constantly interacting with eachother. Again fairly easily handled