Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 00:17

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Pre-Release] Would anyone want/need this? (live serverfeed)

Discussion on [Pre-Release] Would anyone want/need this? (live serverfeed) within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 1142
Received Thanks: 1,161
[Pre-Release] Would anyone want/need this? (live serverfeed)

Would people be interested in a live server-feed that's easy to implement on any server - even binaries.

I've gotten it to run perfectly fine on a binary setup, and also on some random source I downloaded (Trinity I believe). It's not source dependant except for saving data to your database, which is a 2-line-of-code function.

Example of what this demo server below contains, which took me about 10 minutes to add.
  • Player Login
  • Player Logout
  • Player Leveup
  • PlayerX kills PlayerY
  • Lottery winnings
  • Boss kill (Banshee etc)
  • Create guild
  • GuildX has allied GuildY
  • Guild pole taker
  • Guild war winner

Ofcourse, anything can be added. It's just a matter of saving down a textstring to your database, the rest is handled automatically by PHP/JS.

Demo:
Thanks
4 Users
Old 07/11/2013, 23:41   #2

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
It's pretty simple to do but I always appreciate javascript/php examples because I'm **** when it comes to web dev. Like... I sorta know what I'm doing but I tend to end up frustrated instead ahah
Old 07/11/2013, 23:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
It's pretty simple to do but I always appreciate javascript/php examples because I'm **** when it comes to web dev. Like... I sorta know what I'm doing but I tend to end up frustrated instead ahah
Yup, very simple. Just save data to a record-table, if binaries you'll have to do it via cq_action I believe. Read the data with AJAX with an interval, if new data present it with an effect.

It's a really nice addon though and so far I haven't seen anyone have this, so why not.
Old 07/12/2013, 00:12   #4

elite*gold: 28
That's pretty cool yo'
Old 07/12/2013, 00:47   #5

elite*gold: 0
Not really interested in it, but it's cool.
Old 07/12/2013, 05:00   #6

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
It's interesting, but it seems incomplete. It's just a webpage, right? This could be done using WPF and C#, linking the window to the side of the Conquer Online client (making it so it's always just to the right / side of the client). You can still use web data, just make it a program that runs along side the conquer window. I think it'd look a lot cleaner and more desirable that way. Otherwise, it looks great (not something that I would use, but maybe something others would use).
Old 07/12/2013, 05:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
It's interesting, but it seems incomplete. It's just a webpage, right? This could be done using WPF and C#, linking the window to the side of the Conquer Online client (making it so it's always just to the right / side of the client). You can still use web data, just make it a program that runs along side the conquer window. I think it'd look a lot cleaner and more desirable that way. Otherwise, it looks great (not something that I would use, but maybe something others would use).
The point is to show it on the webpage, not to everyone currently playing.

Why would you want to see lottery winnings, guild winners etc. when you can see in in-game. The point behind it is to make the CO websites a little better because right now the standard is ****.
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/12/2013, 06:57   #8

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Emil View Post
The point is to show it on the webpage, not to everyone currently playing.

Why would you want to see lottery winnings, guild winners etc. when you can see in in-game. The point behind it is to make the CO websites a little better because right now the standard is ****.
Oh, I thought it was just an example. I was more thinking of expandability. If it's just a website, then yah - it's great. It reminds me of some minecraft servers (how they do the text thing and all of that).
Old 07/12/2013, 11:07   #9

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
This is really badly thought out, the website should never be directly interacting with the live server database, if you want to do this sort of thing, have a batch that copies data from the game server to a database on the webserver, then have this script running.
Old 07/12/2013, 11:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
This is really badly thought out, the website should never be directly interacting with the live server database, if you want to do this sort of thing, have a batch that copies data from the game server to a database on the webserver, then have this script running.
And why is this, according to you. It's only fetching data and a server can handle a query every 3 seconds or so just fine. It also clears the table from old data.
Old 07/12/2013, 11:22   #11

What happens if the server goes down, how does the script react to that? My experience being that your website looks awful when things dont load correctly because of time outs, the solution is to switch to a more push orientated application, than pull such as this.
Old 07/12/2013, 11:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
What happens if the server goes down, how does the script react to that? My experience being that your website looks awful when things dont load correctly because of time outs, the solution is to switch to a more push orientated application, than pull such as this.
Do you mean the gameserver or the host? In PHP you can easily check the status of the database connection, if none is made then simply don't return any data to the AJAX-call and it won't show you any error messages.

You could also have another AJAX-timer running every x-second to ping the server with a timeout, if fails then stop the timer. Two solutions that takes under a minute to implement, so I don't really see your point sorry.
Old 07/12/2013, 11:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Emil View Post
Do you mean the gameserver or the host? In PHP you can easily check the status of the database connection, if none is made then simply don't return any data to the AJAX-call and it won't show you any error messages.

You could also have another AJAX-timer running every x-second to ping the server with a timeout, if fails then stop the timer. Two solutions that takes under a minute to implement, so I don't really see your point sorry.
The gameserver which hosts the database, obviously. And those are great, however they will need to timeout as I said, making the website hang effectively for several seconds before giving up.

Also neither of those are implemented in this, so this is badly thought out as I said.
Old 07/12/2013, 11:44   #14

I really don't think you know how this works, do you.

First of all, if the gameserver goes down that's fine. The host hosts the database, not the gameserver, correct? If the gameserver goes down, the script will continue to try and fetch new data (as it would if it were online). This timer could easily be stopped with the ping method, as I said. If the host itself goes down, this can be stopped via PHP as it won't be able to connect to the database.

AJAX stands for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. The website itself won't "hang effectively for several seconds before giving up", if it fails to fetch data.
Old 07/12/2013, 11:54   #15

Sorry, I'm classifying the gameserver as the host in this instance, since host implys the webserver's host.

The Ajax aspect is fine, its the rest that is going to give up on you.