Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 12:38

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

This community

Old 05/05/2012, 22:56   #391

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
If you ever have specific questions or decide to work on a custom source, lemme know. As you know I'm not generally on my msn that often (when I'm on the comp I'm usually DOING something lol) but I have no problem with writing up some examples if you have specific questions.

And yes... writing a custom source is a FANTASTIC way to learn.

I did it with both my proxy and original hellmouth source. Neither were anything special but I learned a TON in the process.

That being said... my main interest right now is in XNA. I have a bunch of concepts but I'm really sorta taking my time and working out how exactly I want to code anything. In the mean time I can see myself working on a few casual games if you ever wanted to lend a hand in those (anything from ideas to graphics resources to some coding).

Tbh I don't see myself doing any large projects in the near future. Small learning projects are more my speed right now xD

Broken link? I always like reading up on XNA.

I posted a pdf to an XNA book that I purchased recently but outside that I've just gone over some little tutorials and stuff.
ah crap sorry:
(I tend to manually input websites from memory)

I've done quite a lot from XNA, never really "finished" a game though just try ideas out and such then move on, I did make a "working" TD game, just sandbox though upgradable towers increasingly difficult level xD

I even started on my own RPG style game, had NPCs and such but nothing special it does have a handly little library I made for the use of making new games, has such things as screen management and controls like labels/text boxes/check boxes/countdown timers etc etc

Old 05/06/2012, 01:13   #392

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
If you ever have specific questions or decide to work on a custom source, lemme know. As you know I'm not generally on my msn that often (when I'm on the comp I'm usually DOING something lol) but I have no problem with writing up some examples if you have specific questions.

And yes... writing a custom source is a FANTASTIC way to learn.

I did it with both my proxy and original hellmouth source. Neither were anything special but I learned a TON in the process.

That being said... my main interest right now is in XNA. I have a bunch of concepts but I'm really sorta taking my time and working out how exactly I want to code anything. In the mean time I can see myself working on a few casual games if you ever wanted to lend a hand in those (anything from ideas to graphics resources to some coding).

Tbh I don't see myself doing any large projects in the near future. Small learning projects are more my speed right now xD

Broken link? I always like reading up on XNA.

I posted a pdf to an XNA book that I purchased recently but outside that I've just gone over some little tutorials and stuff.
Always good to know, it's a start ill chat with you more later about it when you have the time..

Old 05/06/2012, 16:25   #393

**** school, I'm in.
Thanks
9 Users
Old 05/06/2012, 17:12   #394

Pro if you`re interested in XNA I can hand you tons of resources, also I can explain lots of algorithms for games, mainly graphics programming though, if you need me contact me.

Old 05/08/2012, 02:36   #395

Received Thanks: 1,139
Ahh, XNA <3 I really need to get back into learning that.

@Thread; At the end of the day, all the majority of people care about is profit. The few developers who actually do things like create a server for the sake of old times and actual fun get shunned and asked "Wtf are you doing?" I've run various servers for various games in the past, and received a lot of donations. But guess what? Not a penny of those donations ever left the paypal. At times, I was able to back-pay for my server hosting for a year ahead. And for the years the server was up, people went there to have fun. Now, what do we see? We see random noobs begging for sources, asking to buy information, asking for bots, asking for the SOURCE to bots, etc. And what happened to all the projects that were active years ago here at ePvP? The ones originally created just to have fun with friends? They got ignored because they weren't the "latest patch" and noobs couldn't use bots so they didn't want to play. I'm about **** sick of people only playing a server where they can level to 130 in two minutes or kill everyone and then log off when they die or any of that. If you can't make at least one SINGLE helpful contribution to the community, then you shouldn't even be allowed to touch any of our work.

Kthx, bye bye leechers.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/08/2012, 02:44   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroxelli View Post

@Thread; At the end of the day, all the majority of people care about is profit. The few developers who actually do things like create a server for the sake of old times and actual fun get shunned and asked "Wtf are you doing?" I've run various servers for various games in the past, and received a lot of donations. But guess what? Not a penny of those donations ever left the paypal. At times, I was able to back-pay for my server hosting for a year ahead. And for the years the server was up, people went there to have fun. Now, what do we see? We see random noobs begging for sources, asking to buy information, asking for bots, asking for the SOURCE to bots, etc. And what happened to all the projects that were active years ago here at ePvP? The ones originally created just to have fun with friends? They got ignored because they weren't the "latest patch" and noobs couldn't use bots so they didn't want to play. I'm about damn sick of people only playing a server where they can level to 130 in two minutes or kill everyone and then log off when they die or any of that. If you can't make at least one SINGLE helpful contribution to the community, then you shouldn't even be allowed to touch any of our work.

Kthx, bye bye leechers.
I completely agree with this, I'm tired of seeing the people that have never touched a line code complain about other people work when something fails or it's not complete/up to date. This is why the underground community is needed, were people who can actually contribute can do so. I'm all for open source and think we still need releases SOME projects publicly otherwise the community will completely die off.
Old 05/08/2012, 09:02   #397

Received Thanks: 1,695
Quote:

@Thread; At the end of the day, all the majority of people care about is profit. The few developers who actually do things like create a server for the sake of old times and actual fun get shunned and asked "Wtf are you doing?" I've run various servers for various games in the past, and received a lot of donations. But guess what? Not a penny of those donations ever left the paypal. At times, I was able to back-pay for my server hosting for a year ahead. And for the years the server was up, people went there to have fun. Now, what do we see? We see random noobs begging for sources, asking to buy information, asking for bots, asking for the SOURCE to bots, etc. And what happened to all the projects that were active years ago here at ePvP? The ones originally created just to have fun with friends? They got ignored because they weren't the "latest patch" and noobs couldn't use bots so they didn't want to play. I'm about **** sick of people only playing a server where they can level to 130 in two minutes or kill everyone and then log off when they die or any of that. If you can't make at least one SINGLE helpful contribution to the community, then you shouldn't even be allowed to touch any of our work.

Kthx, bye bye leechers.
completely agree, and I can say my server fell victim to those kinds of views, by some corrupted (but now removed) staff who were paid for stuff they cheated for, and another that was paid something like 50USD just to delete our entire server and screw us over big time >.<
Old 05/08/2012, 09:18   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhacker View Post
completely agree, and I can say my server fell victim to those kinds of views, by some corrupted (but now removed) staff who were paid for stuff they cheated for, and another that was paid something like 50USD just to delete our entire server and screw us over big time >.<
Yeah, I've encountered that with many servers. Staff selling items behind the owners back to make a profit, and thus also messing up the balance of the server in the process. It's pretty sad that all anyone thinks about is money, it'd be nice just to have a respectful, fun loving staff to actually keep things serene and fun for everyone else. Apparently that's too much to ask for nowadays.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/08/2012, 23:21   #399

Quote:
Yeah, I've encountered that with many servers. Staff selling items behind the owners back to make a profit, and thus also messing up the balance of the server in the process. It's pretty sad that all anyone thinks about is money, it'd be nice just to have a respectful, fun loving staff to actually keep things serene and fun for everyone else. Apparently that's too much to ask for nowadays.
Well that can be found at Love2Hate, I have been playing for a week now and te staff is very nice and willing to help.
Old 05/09/2012, 00:37   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk55 View Post
Well that can be found at Love2Hate, I have been playing for a week now and te staff is very nice and willing to help.
That's beside the point, but I do hear that. The sad part is, that if it is true, why, out of all the servers, is only one or two like that? The problem isn't entirely the staff, but also the users who enable them by purchasing the items just to be able to cheat their way to the top! The whole idea of private servers was to escape the people who paid their way to the top, and play the game we originally loved in a fair and balanced environment. That idealism has been torn to shreds by the recent excuses for "servers", and frankly it's sickening. Maybe if these servers were run by teams of competent people, instead of one or two middle/highschool kids that've never seen a $50 bill in their lives, it might be different. Or, hell. Maybe if the servers were run by people who actually put a real effort into creating and maintaining them, things would be just a little bit different. You can't take someone who just leeched and downloaded the first source they saw, and expect them to be a decent and respectable server administrator. And you can't expect any server where they're part of the "management" to function in a proper and normal faction. In a way, we, the developers, have helped this problem along. We unknowingly released our sources to people who we thought would at least have some small shred of willingness to learn in them, and instead what we got were a bunch of kids with no idea what a server really was. And what can we do to stop the problem? Not much. These kids upload the sources countless times, with countless, messy, broken edits to every single upload service and "friend" they can find. And from there, it just spreads onto forums like ePvP to be re-released as an "original source". They couldn't write a damn "Hello world." application, let alone modify a working source. All they've done, and will do, is spread a viral infection amongst what used to be a growing and helpful community.

Some two years ago, when CoEmu V2 was "released" into the ePvP community, I thought to try and prod some new developers into helping out in the Conquer pServer community, and try and get them to make contributions by releasing simple, easy to modify additions to the CoEmu source. I tried everything, from helping these people over team viewer, to helping them over email and even the phone, just trying to get them to even understand SOMETHING and want to LEARN. All I found were people who took what was available, trashed it, begged for help, and demanded more like they were entitled to something special. Out of all the people I helped, I cannot say I found more than two or three people that even wanted to learn something. And those few people were quickly shut out and shut down by the vast outnumbering of requests/demands in comparison to the number of tutorials and releases. A community cannot be sustained when the majority is leechers and the developers are forced into minority. If these people truly want help, they will in turn help others as well. Only then will even a small shred of this community have light shed upon them, and maybe, just maybe, they will start to accept learning again, instead of just leeching.

I urge you, those of you who are downloading these sources, to LEARN something, and to share it with others. I'm not talking about all this demand for new encryption data, and all that crap. I'm talking about the basics. Write tutorials on how to understand servers, on how to understand code, on how to understand conquer private servers, and on how to understand this community. When you get a positive response from these people, then the developers will start coming out and making an effort to share their works once more.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/09/2012, 10:47   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousNoone View Post
Oh, did I just notice I tripled *'d his name. Oops, same for lostsold'
Never left EPvPers tbh. Perhaps I could get my UG invite? Lol.

« [HELP] Source error please help | Private conquer servers without donations? »