Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 15:08

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Will this help me to get better at coding for server sources?

Discussion on Will this help me to get better at coding for server sources? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old 02/13/2012, 22:42   #31

elite*gold: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
This thread is not pointless. I get asked this question a lot. In no way is this thread off-topic. It directly relates to Conquer Online Private Servers and how one should approach coding the servers available here.

As far as a patch goes, people who know what they're talking about will tell you to start at a low patch so you can set your priorities on the functionality of the server (rather than the features). The amount of ciphers and work going into logging into a current server has doubled since the low patch days.
No just stop. Please.

With an intention to usually release on a newer patch, why would one want to learn the older client-server connections, the older encryption, and in general, older coding styles? Why not start from a base source of a newer patch, newer release date and learn those client-server methods? The newer coding methods? Why waste time learning old methods that will end up never being used? Or using older coding methods?
Old 02/13/2012, 22:59   #32

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlackPlagu3x View Post
Actually it does matter, to the fullest. I could've ended up choosing Conquer-SX to learn from. Therefore, at the very least, that was prevented by the making of this thread. Also, I'm not going to do what I want, I'm not a five year old who can only see whatever it is that I want. No, I'm 17 and I can see what's best for me, and plan on taking that route. Lastly, I really believe it does matter which one I do, just based off of a little thing like the following:

Starts at patch 5527 > Eventually learns everything in there. <- Two steps, very long.

Starts at patch 4257 (or whatever it was) > Learns the small amount of stuff in there (as it's only 1.0) > Slowly upgrades it to the high patches > Learns how upgrading works in the process and also learns about the history of TQ in the meanwhile. <- Many steps, very full.

I understand that you may have learned differently than I am learning, but it doesn't mean that you should say I should have never posted a thread about helping me learn. That's kinda fucked up considering I'm sure everyone here has posted something about needing opinions, and upon asked, they were given. I bet $50 if Hybrid for some reason, asked the same thread I did, right this very second, the whole forum would be jumping up to help.

Again, sorry I wish to learn.
I don't mean to sound arrogant, but feel free to look through my 1k/+ posts and count how many times I asked for help. Edit: I just went through all the topics I've created (lol-memories of when I was 13/14/15), and I found about 2/3 threads of me asking for help. All of which I was capable of doing myself, and simply asked to save a small amount of time, NT. Refine that then by removing things I asked for help with that I wasn't already capable of doing, but simply asked because I expected someone else to already know (saves time, this refers to for instance, a packet structure).

Being able to teach yourself with the already public information is a useful skill that many people lack. Taking that knowledge and using it to excel and extrapolate ideas based on what you've learned would be taking it a step further.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with asking questions, but many of the questions that get asked have already been answered. Being able to gather information is also a skill.

Brb, putting "Professional Googler" on resume.

-- tidbit about my life ->

I doubt anyone's interested in this, but you know me having common sense and all I decided to actually learn a programming language (Delphi) for general use with the goal of later using it for conquer-based progamming. I spent about a year working with Delphi before I attempted anything CO-related (during this time period I was offered a position to work on the original CoEMU source, the really really really old first one written by Andy and Ranny; I rejected because I felt I was unskilled enough at the time and would simply cause an unnecessary burden to the team.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
The fact of the matter is, your going to attempt to learn how to create a decent source by copy/pasting code from someone elses source. So you wont understand how that code works, so you wont actually learn anything by doing this.

How to do it correctly would be to write your own from scratch and use other available source code as a reference for the over all "this is sort of how it could be done", while doing something completely of your own creation. Therefore you understand how your code works, and understand the various processes and reasons for it working.

So your "fastest path I possibly can" approach, is your problem.
To be fair, when I wrote the first version of Hybrid CO in Delphi, a lot of it (at the start) involved copying things from CoEMU. Mind you, I knew nothing of C# at the time, so I was translating to a language I had never seen before to Delphi (which I was quite fluent with after a year of general programming).

I only really ever copied the network snippets, because that was the few things I didn't understand when I first started coding a source. How did the client/server communicate? How did the encryption work? I was oblivious to all of this and focused primarily on the logic of the actual server at first. I later investigated this further when I switched to C# from Delphi for an easier debugging environment.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 02/13/2012, 23:03   #33

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterX View Post
No just stop. Please.

With an intention to usually release on a newer patch, why would one want to learn the older client-server connections, the older encryption, and in general, older coding styles? Why not start from a base source of a newer patch, newer release date and learn those client-server methods? The newer coding methods? Why waste time learning old methods that will end up never being used? Or using older coding methods?
The old cipher is now the authentication cipher for the Account Server on the current patch, a good base source can work on any patch with limited modifications, and I never said "study old coding styles". I wouldn't recommend studying faulty coding practices.
Old 02/13/2012, 23:11   #34

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't have a username View Post
Why do you ask, if you don't want our opinions?

Pointless thread is pointless.
^

Alright. Let me start. Hopefully this will clarify exactly what I mean.

Quote:
Actually it does matter, to the fullest. I could've ended up choosing Conquer-SX to learn from. Therefore, at the very least, that was prevented by the making of this thread.
How is making a thread about getting opinions from the community about whether you should start at a patch you want to end up at vs. starting at the first patch relevant at all to choosing a source to learn from?

Quote:
Also, I'm not going to do what I want, I'm not a five year old who can only see whatever it is that I want. No, I'm 17 and I can see what's best for me, and plan on taking that route.
You sure seem quick to defend the idea of starting at an early patch, so I bet that's what you're going to do regardless of what we tell you.

Quote:
Lastly, I really believe it does matter which one I do, just based off of a little thing like the following:

Starts at patch 5527 > Eventually learns everything in there. <- Two steps, very long.

Starts at patch 4257 (or whatever it was) > Learns the small amount of stuff in there (as it's only 1.0) > Slowly upgrades it to the high patches > Learns how upgrading works in the process and also learns about the history of TQ in the meanwhile. <- Many steps, very full.
4217 is STILL a massive project. There's also some things not in there that aren't in the later one. As I said above, you're biased towards starting at the earliest patch - just look at the benefits you have listed, so it appears that's what you're going to do regardless of the community's opinion.

Quote:
I understand that you may have learned differently than I am learning, but it doesn't mean that you should say I should have never posted a thread about helping me learn. That's kinda fucked up considering I'm sure everyone here has posted something about needing opinions, and upon asked, they were given.
This thread has nothing to do with learning. You just want opinions on something that you've already basically made up your mind about; so why ask and turn this into a completely off-topic thread?

Quote:
I bet $50 if Hybrid for some reason, asked the same thread I did, right this very second, the whole forum would be jumping up to help.
I guarantee he'd never make a thread like this unless it was for a really good reason... and I can't think of any possible reason to make a thread like this with such a biased opinion going in.

Quote:
Again, sorry I wish to learn.
Again, this thread has nothing to do with learning and it's redundant because you're arguing for starting at the earliest patch despite everyone's suggestions.

Edit: Just re-read the thread. I was a bit harsh because I assumed differently. Sorry. But what I said above still applies, so read it. You know, 5017 is not far off from 1.0. It'll literally be more complicated to do a 1.0 source. Along with this, I have to agree with Korvacs - code it from scratch. Fight with it, otherwise you're NOT learning anything at all.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/14/2012, 01:16   #35

If you think doing something will help you, then ******* do it.
Posing this thread isn't helping you learn at all; learn how you want to, when you want to, if you want to. If you honestly think this will help you then do it. Ignoring what people tell you isn't solving anything.
Old 02/15/2012, 19:22   #36

Edit: I removed my post before anyone could see it lol. I'm going to keep my decision to myself, although once done, I will let people who helped make my decision see my source, so they can tell me if I'm on the right path. Thank you all for the help you've given me, I appreciate it a lot! Even those of you who fought me and all of the other opinions every step of the way, even you guys have given me a lot to think about.

I think my decision will be a mix of both, but other than that, it's secret.