Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 10:34

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Serverside latency?

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Serverside latency?

I am sure that there are packets that if they are sent server->client the client will respond uniquely back. Has anyone got across one of those packets? With such a packet the server could have a ping for it's own (the client has already one 1009:27).

Main usage would be a way to detect speedhackers, as most of the time laggers are supposed to be speedhackers, just by checking at the latency (serverside) you could know for sure if it's a lagger or not.

Has anyone already handled this method? Is it useful? The latency is simply the time it takes for the client to answer to the packet the server has sent, but would it be useful to have an average of all latencies gathered since the client was logged in? How about this formula lCurrent = (lCurrent + latency) / 2; [latency - parameter, usage: lCurrent (as the latency that the client might have at this time)]?

---
Nevermind the second question.

Old 01/05/2012, 18:12   #2

Received Thanks: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by -impulse- View Post
I am sure that there are packets that if they are sent server->client the client will respond uniquely back. Has anyone got across one of those packets? With such a packet the server could have a ping for it's own (the client has already one 1009:27).

Main usage would be a way to detect speedhackers, as most of the time laggers are supposed to be speedhackers, just by checking at the latency (serverside) you could know for sure if it's a lagger or not.

Has anyone already handled this method? Is it useful? The latency is simply the time it takes for the client to answer to the packet the server has sent, but would it be useful to have an average of all latencies gathered since the client was logged in? How about this formula lCurrent = (lCurrent + latency) / 2; [latency - parameter, usage: lCurrent (as the latency that the client might have at this time)]?

---
Nevermind the second question.
The MsgTick (1012) packet is used by TQ to disconnect people with bad connection. It is probably the best solution to ping the client.

Thanks
1 User
Old 01/05/2012, 20:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSky View Post
The MsgTick (1012) packet is used by TQ to disconnect people with bad connection. It is probably the best solution to ping the client.
I don't really want to disconnect people with bad connection, more like just want to see if they lag or not to see who is speeding or not. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01/05/2012, 20:52   #4

Received Thanks: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by -impulse- View Post
I don't really want to disconnect people with bad connection, more like just want to see if they lag or not to see who is speeding or not. Thanks for the tip.
It was to say how TQ use the packet, but they disconnect client where the answer speed is too slow, so it's a ping packet.

Old 01/05/2012, 21:16   #5

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,502
1012 was known as a botcheck packet for a long time because of the way it behaved however it was not intended to be a botcheck at all really, although im sure you can adapt it to whatever function you wish.

Thanks
1 User

« 5017 ini/map folder. | C# Vote NPC idea »