Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 06:10

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

How should I organize my Npc Dialog?

Discussion on How should I organize my Npc Dialog? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: How should I organize NPC Dialog?
Switch Statements 3 16.67%
LUA Interface 5 27.78%
Scripting 5 27.78%
MySql / MsSql 3 16.67%
Ini Flat File Database 1 5.56%
Other 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 20
How should I organize my Npc Dialog?

Hey! The poll is public so I can see and ask why you chose that answer if I need to.
Thanks for your opinion. Please, I'm open to any ideas. I appreciate the help!

Sincerely,
Fang
Old 01/15/2011, 05:22   #2

elite*gold: 0
I like using Lua because you can use Lua's API variables, then save/access them when needed via MySQL for saving quest info and other info you may wanna save. Secondly, I just like Lua's scripting style, and I used to make homebrew apps for PSP's in Lua.

What's the difference?
Obviously hard coded, basically *non-fetched* information will be the fastest.

*pees on thread*
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/15/2011, 06:06   #3

LUA for base, Sourcecode for more advance npc's. So I guess some switching
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/15/2011, 07:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ocularis View Post
I like using Lua because you can use Lua's API variables, then save/access them when needed via MySQL for saving quest info and other info you may wanna save. Secondly, I just like Lua's scripting style, and I used to make homebrew apps for PSP's in Lua.

What's the difference?
Obviously hard coded, basically *non-fetched* information will be the fastest.

*pees on thread*
Me and Tommy were going to implement it into Elite CoEmu so I have the dll. I'll give it my best. Thanks for the input =] I appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Fang
Old 01/15/2011, 08:11   #5

theres more options to write C# scripts than 'switching'.
Old 01/15/2011, 11:14   #6

.NET - IronPython
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/15/2011, 16:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
.NET - IronPython
Idk... IronPython is an addon isn't it? Would computers without it be able to support that? I'd rather do something like LUA unless IronPython has a significant advantage over efficiency.
Old 01/15/2011, 17:42   #8

IronPython is a full-fledged scripting engine which incorporates extremely well with C# and has Visual Studio support as well (intellisense). It has been tested numerous times, it is stable, it is supported by a whole community.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/15/2011, 17:47   #9

Received Thanks: 2,518
Also remember npc dialog management is dealt with by the server, the client just receives the packets, how you determine what the packets contain, and how you determine which to send is all done by the server, so as long as the server can use IronPython, the client needs never know about it.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/15/2011, 21:08   #10

Python is a lovely language.
Old 01/15/2011, 22:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Also remember npc dialog management is dealt with by the server, the client just receives the packets, how you determine what the packets contain, and how you determine which to send is all done by the server, so as long as the server can use IronPython, the client needs never know about it.
You're right. That's a great point. What would you advise though? LUA or IronPython?
Old 01/16/2011, 05:41   #12

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Personally I use ironpython with lovely scripts (so like 42.npc or w/e) which allows for some very powerful scripting (not simply "if this say this") and I've never had a problem with them.

I kinda got turned off by python cause I was forced to use it in a course last year which I HATED and therefor dropped... so it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth buy looking at it now, it's a hella nice language with a ton of promise.

I haven't really used LUA so I can't comment on which is better but when it comes right down to it, we're talking about a conquer private server here... some SLIGHT difference in performance or capabilities will almost never be realized by a project of this scope (we aren't talking about Npc characters with full ai, roaming, behavior attributes.... etc so what does it matter?)
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/16/2011, 07:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
Personally I use ironpython with lovely scripts (so like 42.npc or w/e) which allows for some very powerful scripting (not simply "if this say this") and I've never had a problem with them.

I kinda got turned off by python cause I was forced to use it in a course last year which I HATED and therefor dropped... so it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth buy looking at it now, it's a hella nice language with a ton of promise.

I haven't really used LUA so I can't comment on which is better but when it comes right down to it, we're talking about a conquer private server here... some SLIGHT difference in performance or capabilities will almost never be realized by a project of this scope (we aren't talking about Npc characters with full ai, roaming, behavior attributes.... etc so what does it matter?)
Thanks for the advice and the honesty =p
I'll look more into it then. =] Thanks.
Old 01/16/2011, 07:41   #14

Python is like speaking english. I love it.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/17/2011, 11:59   #15

IronPython rocks.
I'm going to stick with that- it's the best way that I've seen for coding NPCs to far =p
#request close.
Closed Thread