Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 06:10

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

wondering why

Old   #16

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbydole+Nov 11 2005, 07:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobbydole @ Nov 11 2005, 07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by -shinichikudo@Nov 10 2005, 03:50
Quote:
Originally posted by -bobbydole@Nov 10 2005, 03:33
Quote:
Originally posted by -anticlownn@Nov 9 2005, 01:47
<!--QuoteBegin--unknownone
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Nov 8 2005, 06:06
Well, unless you can hack into official servers, the only way to get &#39;copies&#39; of server files is to guess how they work, and program new files based on your assumptions.

bah, I should hack right into their data base, you think they have any firewalls...

do it. o and one more question, does anyone know how big of a server one would have to possess in order to run a private server for this game?

according to fchen at this post : . Each of the server are running on a Dual xeon 2.8G, 2G RAM, 3x36G SCSI HD
yea well thats a pretty big server (which they need to support all the players) anyone know how big of a server that Quonquer was/is on? [/b][/quote]
wow the HD is quite small even for SCSI

Those servers go for around &#036;250-300 a month so its quite cheap for TQ to keep those servers up and running.

25x300=&#036;7,500 a month only

300,000Players lets say each buys 1 db code a day pack of 2 every month. (yeah not everyone buys db codes but all those bulk packs add up for every player)

7.99x300,000=&#036;2,397,000monthly

Fchen states that he only has 20[Gms] why doesn&#39;t he hire more 20gms for what 25servers thats not even one for every server I guess hes all about makin money.

&#036;2,397,000-7500/20=&#036;119,475 for each person a month.

Now you think they make tons but they but a little effort into supporting us? Its true they can&#39;t handle everything but they could hire more people.

Also 300,000/25=12,000Players per server on average some has more some has a lil less. Now for those server specs i don&#39;t think it can handle 12k players on average about 2-3k play at a time but from those server specs it should be only to handle 300-500people maximum so they should start workin on there servers.

Don&#39;t think i&#39;m retarded i run my own webhost :P

Old   #17

it&#39;s not really possible to predict the limits without knowing how well or badly the server software is coded. A well coded network application can handle thousands of connections on a minimal spec machine. But judging from the poor coding used in the client I don&#39;t think the official server code would be much better. Plus they run on windows which is a lot heaier on memory and CPU usage on the tcp/ip stack than a unix based platform.

The regular server maintenance is probably neccessary in order to defrag the server&#39;s memory as well as the item unique ids which would run out in less than a year without some kind of defragging.

It is clear that the official servers are overloaded at times, and there is no player count, so we don&#39;t really know for sure. But my estimates would be in agreement with Issac there.

Old   #18

don&#39;t forget the servers are in california so they probably have to pay for the host too and for someone to dust them off once in a while
Old   #19

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,252
BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION
Q.How big is the server?

A.The server size depends a lot on the ammount of people. And I think that they host about 1-3 servers for accounts, because the other servers, 25 handle the actual game events, per server. But the server files without the accounts might only be around 200MB-1 GIG. But my estimate is around 350MB. Remember they also run on chinese windows which is probbably crappier then normal windows lol.

I had some official servers that were actually hacked of a company, and the server license costs &#036;50,000 and &#036;2,000 for maintnace. And the server files unpacked were only 250MB.

Old   #20

hmm so what if the &#39;server&#39; files were put on a desktop with 2gb of ram, a 40gb hd and dual xeon processors. do you think that it would run cause servers are pretty expensive to buy. from what i have reasearched servers of that size are like a couple of k. and if it is on a server is it necessary to have a license or can u run one without it.