Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 19:21

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Need.help.with.my.comp

Old   #16

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by MrTeenie@Sep 13 2005, 18:02
If it isn't the hard drive I'm guessing it is something with the mother bored. Does like lock up at the windows loading screen, or when it is powering up and that the checking keybored/mouse and what-not screen?
it.freezes.at.the.moment.where.it.checks.for.RAM,m ouse,keyboard,graphic.card,DVD.and.CD.drives.and.t he.HD's

EDIT:for.me.it.'s.the.same.screen.where.it.say s
Del:setup.F8:somesetup.F2:anothersetup

Old   #17

oh at startup? the bios-check?

then it is a hardware-problem...

can be everything.. HDD, CD/DVD, RAM etc...

u got an old comp? or everything new? u changed something?

Old   #18

it's.like.3.years.old
athlon.xp.or.something.like.that
it.says.that.ram.and.everything.works.fine.but.it. always.stops.after.checking.the.Hds.that's.why .I.thought.they.were.the.problem
Old   #19

i had the same problem.... look wat am good at is Hardware so try this..... dont know if u'r ability are this great but try to take all u'r things out.... take the whole computer apart, xcept the power box, and reconnect it.... and one more thing... look in u'r motherboard, there is one little battery that power's u'r motherboard, its like one of those flat battery's that some watche's use or calculators but its kind of bigger in circumfrence..... try that tell me wat u get.... and make sure the power supply to the motherboard is pluged in rite... its like a lil cable next to were that flat battery is at.... hope this helps......

edit: oh forgot to say to put it back 2gether after u take it apart of course... just wanted to mention that just in case

Old   #20

ok.I'm.gonna.take.it.apart.and.put.it.back.tog ether.again
but.what.exactly.do.you.want.me.to.do.with.that.be ttery?:P
Old   #21

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,252
take out the battery. It is like a watchj batter onyl a few times bigger (CMOS battery). Also you should try installing a new OS and see if it works. It may be that the hardrive is damaged or the drive controller might be messed up. You should view about your HD if windows alredy starts up. It just may actually be the Windows, a virus so try and get a boot disket from your old computer for WinXP. I got one and it booted the Windows in SafeMode when I couldnt even start Windows.
Old   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by anticlownn@Sep 13 2005, 23:44
ok.I'm.gonna.take.it.apart.and.put.it.back.tog ether.again
but.what.exactly.do.you.want.me.to.do.with.that.be ttery?:P
just take it out and put it back in...... its just to take the electricity out of the motherboard so it would restart all over again....

but on other terms if that doesn't work try this... load this up and u'll need i think 6 disk's to do this.... this basically loads up basic bios and drivers so u could still a brand new windows installation.... this file is only if u'r windows installation has Service Pack 2..... so dont do it if u'r window's cd ( from were u'r installing windows ) doesn't have sp2....

with sp2 heres the link.....

without sp2 heres the link...

there u go..... am positive taht will fix w/e problem u have....
Old   #23

Also, remember that some motherboards, won't flash when you remove the battery. You might have to change a jumper, then turn it on, then turn off, then change it back. POST card is actually a PCI card that usually runs for about $1000+ USD and when you put it in, it runs a series of checks on your computer sending signals all throughout your motherboard. If there is a problem, it beeps a specific number of times (sorta like morse code) and it tells you what it's not recieving a return signal from. You don't need windows to boot it and it is all hardware run, not software. Most people don't have a POST card though, keep in mind, but if you're lucky and have a friend that's a computer technician, then it'll pinpoint your problem in 20 minutes. What I would do though, is just take the motherboard into a store (if you're in usa, CompUSA or BestBuy are good choices) and let them check over the motherboard. Tell me exactly what happens when you press the On button as well. Becuase it could also just be a nasty virus that could have currupted your Windows files or even something as simple as messing with your boot-up screen (the actual screen, like the animation of the loading bar) and if the info is incorrect there, Windows will have all sorts of problems booting. I'm not too knowlegable on Windows booting and such, but if the F8 or Delete buttons don't work, it could also mean your BIOS got infected. Yes, I've gotten my BIOS infected with a virus such as Win32/CIH that overwrites your BIOS if your flash BIOS is write enabled. You will no longer HAVE a BIOS if its infected by then and then, well, bring it to an expert for that, and if worse comes to worst, buy a new motherboard all together. You mentioned you had an Athlon XP, most mobo's for XP's run under $100 USD, and offer 8x AGP, compatability with DDR400 PC3200 RAM (if you have that), and other today technology present in newer models of mobo's. *PHEW!* that took a while! Good luck!
Old   #24

wow
thanks.everyone.for.the.help
I.tried.reconnecting.everything.and.cleaning.it
when.I.took.out.the.battery.I.didn't.put.it.ba ck.in(at.first.I.thought.that's.what.i.was.sup posed.to.do).and.I.guess.that.screwd.up.even.more. lol
my.comp.won't.even.start.anymore.XD

I'm.just.gonna.try.some.other.simple.steps.or. at.least.get.my.comp.started.and.i'll.see.what .I.can.do
maybe.i'll.call.GEEKSQUAD.haha

but.if.everything.fails.I.already.went.shopping.to day.and.saw.a.computer.that's.twice.as.good.as .mine.for.like.$800.canadian.dollars
Old   #25

Ahhh cool, didn't know you were Canadian. I am as well, (I just assumed you were American so I listed American stores) whereabouts are you from?
Old   #26

tell us exactly what you see when you turn on your computer... If the monitor shows nothing it can be several different things including but not limited to:
- Cable not plugged into your graphics card
- Graphics card not working
- Monitor not working
- Power supply is dead
*if you have extra parts try swapping individually

If you do see any type of writing on your computer it means that it's going through the POST process (Power On Self Test). All computers do this regardless of operating system and way before it looks at your hard disks. POST only checks 4 things, 1. Visual display, 2. CPU 3. RAM 4. Input (I.E. keyboard). Next it's up to your BIOS to load your hardware configuration and specify a boot drive, but from what I hear you havn't got this far.

If you can specify your error message and what happens after that (stays at same screen, goes blank, reboots).

Edit: Also any beeps while booting up your computer would be helpfull in troubleshooting your problem.
Old   #27

well,when.i.was.able.to.turn.on.my.computer.it.wou ld.stop.at.the.POST.process
and.it.would.do.1.beep.at.the.very.beggining.(as.i t.always.does)

now.it.look.slike.the.power.supply.is.dead.because .it.doesn't.even.start

Quote:
Originally posted by TNK@Sep 14 2005, 05:22
Ahhh cool, didn't know you were Canadian. I am as well, (I just assumed you were American so I listed American stores) whereabouts are you from?
I'm.from.ontario,kitchener.:P
Old   #28

elite*gold: 20
Why not turn your caps lock into a new space bar. Its good for nothign else.
Old   #29

did u ever put that battery back into the motherboard..... is was never suppose to stay off... but w/e
Old   #30

Any luck with the comp today anti?