Lua(?)

04/11/2010 01:39 _Emme_#1
Heya, long time since I made a thread.

Recently, I was helping a friend with implemening Lua into his server, and then it hit me, why isn't Lua so popular by this community? Most (actually all I've seen so far from here) are using intern NPC scripts, when Lua is very efficiant.

World of Warcraft,
Buzz,
Fable,
Garry's Mod,
ROSE,
Rangnarok
Starwars

Those all have something in common - they all use Lua .

Lua is not a programming language, it's a scripting language which I recommend you to use with NPC dialogs. Not only is it easier to organize, it allows you to edit the dialogs while the server is on. Very, very good for BETA servers aswell as for up & running servers.

So, now to my question, would you guys want me to write a guide how to configurate your server to work with Lua?

Have fun!
04/11/2010 01:55 ChingChong23#2
i have been saying get off the stupid internal npc dialogs piled up with 10k if statements in your client class and move onto this sort of stuff, nobody listens.
04/11/2010 01:59 ImmuneOne#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmeTheCoder View Post
Heya, long time since I made a thread.

Recently, I was helping a friend with implemening Lua into his server, and then it hit me, why isn't Lua so popular by this community? Most (actually all I've seen so far from here) are using intern NPC scripts, when Lua is very efficiant.

World of Warcraft,
Buzz,
Fable,
Garry's Mod,
ROSE,
Rangnarok
Starwars

Those all have something in common - they all use Lua .

Lua is not a programming language, it's a scripting language which I recommend you to use with NPC dialogs. Not only is it easier to organize, it allows you to edit the dialogs while the server is on. Very, very good for BETA servers aswell as for up & running servers.

So, now to my question, would you guys want me to write a guide how to configurate your server to work with Lua?

Have fun!
Efficiency and RAM Usage is very important.

EDIT:
As I'm bored at the moment, I'll consider writing a library file for epvpers and a little guide on how-to implement it. I don't recommend using external scripts though.
04/11/2010 02:05 ChingChong23#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmuneOne View Post
Efficiency and RAM Usage is very important.
that's not even an issue in this scenario. scripts are event driven (when a player talks to an NPC), i could understand if your saying thousands of scripts a second will be executed, but that's not the case.
04/11/2010 02:05 s.bat#5
I would sacrifice efficiency, speed, and RAM for readability and organization. Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
04/11/2010 02:12 ImmuneOne#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.bat View Post
I would sacrifice efficiency, speed, and RAM for readability and organization. Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
What would be the point of creating a good server then?
04/11/2010 02:16 s.bat#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmuneOne View Post
What would be the point of creating a good server then?
For future productivity. A good server doesn't rely on those three points alone.
04/11/2010 02:17 ChingChong23#8
Not just that, the amount of memory/cpu time we are talking about with using external scripts, is so small that like i said, is not going to be an issue (unless you've seriously done something wrong)
04/11/2010 02:23 _Emme_#9
@Ching
As stated on the first post, WoW is using LUA (although I'm not sure for what), so it can handle huge amount of requests at the same time (as WoW has 10 million players).

Anyhow, back to the point, is lua intresting?
04/11/2010 02:27 ImmuneOne#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmeTheCoder View Post
@Ching
As stated on the first post, WoW is using LUA (although I'm not sure for what), so it can handle huge amount of requests at the same time (as WoW has 10 million players).

Anyhow, back to the point, is lua intresting?
Writing your own script language is way more interesting. :)
04/11/2010 02:27 _Emme_#11
True, but Lua is very cool aswell.
04/11/2010 02:47 zTREME#12
There is lua in me and yukis :)
How ever i dont know how to use it lol
04/11/2010 03:17 ImmuneOne#13
Couldn't think of anything original (3 AM)

[Preview]
Code:
[0]-Say ("Hello");
[0]-EndLink ("Bye");
Works fine so far.
04/11/2010 03:39 UniqueSandwich#14
Always interested to new things.
04/11/2010 11:35 ~Yuki~#15
Thanks for that.

Also Emme implemented me LUA in my source for NPC-Dialoges so far.

Emme and me are now working on a NPC Maker proggy in C# lets see wich one will be better when we finished it. I might release mine.