For our moderator KraHen

03/26/2019 17:27 cronoszeu#1
Ok first I apologize for all servers owners that I reported for braking the p server adv tos.

But this is just not right as this days every server out there has a shop. now probably is called donation but still a purchase is on the other hand as you do get in exchange something.

I had to open this as our mod just made a discrimination on that tos.
I have no connections with the servers in this thread.

He locked a server adv because he has a shop. More exactly this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Now why this was not enforced to others to?
Like:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Again guys i`m sorry but is not normal to do this.

Please keep the flamings for you guys as I just need answer from the mod.

Regards
03/26/2019 18:28 KraHen#2
You are right, and those threads should be closed, I did not realize the extent of the problem. At the same time, if we do close them, we practically kill the already struggling private server scene, which I am not willing to do. I will temporarily re-open the ConquerBeasts posts while I run this decision by wshbr.

Also, for now I will close your reports.
03/26/2019 18:56 cronoszeu#3
Thank you.

Will be good idea to remove that from tos my opinion.

Sorry for all the troubles.

Regards
03/27/2019 03:56 Spirited#4
This is probably a bit of a polarizing opinion, but I honestly agree with the rule. We're fueling a handful of good servers and a huge amount of scam servers using predatory free-to-play practices. I'm really not sure what the action item is here, because all the servers in Conquer Online seem to prey on their players. Looking at WoW private servers... they're free-to-play and thrive off donations with no in-game rewards a lot of the time. It's not about making a living, it's about paying the bill. I'm not really confident that a Conquer server can be sustainable that way now, but they used to be and I know I definitely don't agree in how things run now.
03/27/2019 10:05 KraHen#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
This is probably a bit of a polarizing opinion, but I honestly agree with the rule. We're fueling a handful of good servers and a huge amount of scam servers using predatory free-to-play practices. I'm really not sure what the action item is here, because all the servers in Conquer Online seem to prey on their players. Looking at WoW private servers... they're free-to-play and thrive off donations with no in-game rewards a lot of the time. It's not about making a living, it's about paying the bill. I'm not really confident that a Conquer server can be sustainable that way now, but they used to be and I know I definitely don't agree in how things run now.
The difference is the population, one would assume - both the actual and
the potential one. These are much lower in CO so to pay the bills, you do have to get a whale or two here and there. I am conflicted by all of this and am not yet sure what the proper solution should be either.
03/27/2019 16:30 Spirited#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
The difference is the population, one would assume - both the actual and
the potential one. These are much lower in CO so to pay the bills, you do have to get a whale or two here and there. I am conflicted by all of this and am not yet sure what the proper solution should be either.
As far as I remember, servers allowed players to donate for prizes. Selling CPs in a store like TQ sounds really bad and relatively new. I don't think we should let servers get away with that. It reminds me of Chris's server and the Jewels project. It's scammy, and way too easy for scam servers to abuse. Edit: If the sale of CPs were for cosmetic or utility items only, then I'd be okay with that. I think the real problem is that servers are directly copying TQ's financial strategy.
03/28/2019 19:41 cronoszeu#7
Give me qo 1.0 server and i`ll host it for free for my remaining days on this earth :)

Any way back on topic. If the items you get even cosmetics can be sold or traded in game is the same exact thing as sell some other shit.
About wow`s. I did played some of them but all had same shop`s like co has even now they still have it.

If will be stopped to post here they will be on some others forums or tops and they will still get players. At least like this you guys can comment and add pros and cons for that server so some players will be saved :)

Regards
03/29/2019 00:12 Spirited#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronoszeu View Post
Give me qo 1.0 server and i`ll host it for free for my remaining days on this earth :)

Any way back on topic. If the items you get even cosmetics can be sold or traded in game is the same exact thing as sell some other shit.
About wow`s. I did played some of them but all had same shop`s like co has even now they still have it.

If will be stopped to post here they will be on some others forums or tops and they will still get players. At least like this you guys can comment and add pros and cons for that server so some players will be saved :)

Regards
It's not, no. Firstly, selling items that give the player power is a really bad practice. That's the type of predatory behavior that gives f2p a bad name. Secondly, you shouldn't allow players to sell anything they buy from the paid shop. That's how you get hyperinflation. You know what, maybe I should post my thread about f2p here when I get home. If a server is selling power, then that server shouldn't be advertised here. Hell, you yourself are admitting that you're following bad practices and basically saying "what are you going to do about it".
03/29/2019 03:22 turk55#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronoszeu View Post
Ok first I apologize for all servers owners that I reported for braking the p server adv tos.

But this is just not right as this days every server out there has a shop. now probably is called donation but still a purchase is on the other hand as you do get in exchange something.

I had to open this as our mod just made a discrimination on that tos.
I have no connections with the servers in this thread.

He locked a server adv because he has a shop. More exactly this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Now why this was not enforced to others to?
Like:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Again guys i`m sorry but is not normal to do this.

Please keep the flamings for you guys as I just need answer from the mod.

Regards
Let me tell you the difference between these servers vs ConquerBeasts. It is in the same way the shop is set up. In the shop of ConquerBeasts you get a HUGE advantage when you drop in some money vs small perks/utilities you get on the other servers.

There are a few servers in the advertising section who have the exact same principle as ConquerBeasts, i.e. StormConquer.

I do believe that EPVP shouldn't be able to tell server owners what they can or can't sell. However the player can be warned about the way shops are set up and point them that the server is most likely going to scam you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
Secondly, you shouldn't allow players to sell anything they buy from the paid shop. That's how you get hyperinflation.
I don't agree with you on this. There are players who aren't able to donate on servers. Not because they don't have the money but because the payment provider doesn't support the country they live in. By allowing items to be traded, these players can also get their hands on these items through somebody else. This way you get a win-win-win situation. The server gets some money, the player who donated can get something worthy from it in-game and the player who couldn't donate for it is able to get his/her hand on the donation item.
03/29/2019 04:20 Spirited#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk55 View Post
Let me tell you the difference between these servers vs ConquerBeasts. It is in the same way the shop is set up. In the shop of ConquerBeasts you get a HUGE advantage when you drop in some money vs small perks/utilities you get on the other servers.

There are a few servers in the advertising section who have the exact same principle as ConquerBeasts, i.e. StormConquer.

I do believe that EPVP shouldn't be able to tell server owners what they can or can't sell. However the player can be warned about the way shops are set up and point them that the server is most likely going to scam you.


I don't agree with you on this. There are players who aren't able to donate on servers. Not because they don't have the money but because the payment provider doesn't support the country they live in. By allowing items to be traded, these players can also get their hands on these items through somebody else. This way you get a win-win-win situation. The server gets some money, the player who donated can get something worthy from it in-game and the player who couldn't donate for it is able to get his/her hand on the donation item.
I agree with your first point, but for your second point around my quote, I didn't mention that there also needs to be a way to purchase the paid currency (CPs) using in-game gold. That provides another money sink for preventing hyperinflation and rewards players for spending time on the game. In terms of donating, maybe that's another model or part of the same shop model, but I'm all for giving donors a bit of extra utility. It definitely shouldn't come at the cost of server polish, but it should be fun for them to donate.