DDOS Protect

01/16/2014 21:39 RemyNaoki#1
how i can protect my server from ddos attacks?
01/16/2014 22:10 glossypvp#2
Buy a ddos protected dedi.
01/16/2014 22:11 Hype#3
Talk to your root Hoster.
01/16/2014 22:32 SkillartzHD#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiiMPle View Post
Talk to your root Hoster.
And then?
A DDOS protection is not cheap.
If the data center is not accidental secured generel you'll soon have to pay a few hundreds per month if you have a clever protection want.
01/17/2014 20:03 glossypvp#5
Umm, if you are 'clever' simply you don't begin with without any knowedge. First learn how 4story works.
01/18/2014 00:00 Logtetsch#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by glossypvp View Post
Umm, if you are 'clever' simply you don't begin with without any knowedge. First learn how 4story works.
And then? Do you think after that he will know how to bring up a DDoS protection? Your informations are quite wrong. I can reassure you that you need (much much...) much more "basic" knowledge to get a working DDoS protection. Starting from a good network architecture which is managed by high quality Cisco components...
And that's exactly the problem if you rent a server by a cheap hoster. He won't come up with your requirements.
01/18/2014 13:58 glossypvp#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtetsch View Post
And then? Do you think after that he will know how to bring up a DDoS protection? Your informations are quite wrong. I can reassure you that you need (much much...) much more "basic" knowledge to get a working DDoS protection. Starting from a good network architecture which is managed by high quality Cisco components...
And that's exactly the problem if you rent a server by a cheap hoster. He won't come up with your requirements.
I said exactly the same. The only hosting I'd recommend is OVH. They offer cisco hardware firewalls. It's the cheapest at all. I remember when 4StoryTurkey was running on an OVH machine with cisco hardware firewall, we got a couple ddos attacks but it didn't shut down the whole machine, or slowed down the network. Just the host machine was a bit slow, and the server, and it's ping (between players-servers) was good enough.

So, if you have no knowedge about how DDoS works and how to get rid of it. I can recommend OVH, if you ask them they can set up great cisco firewalls for you ... of course for hunderds of euros.

By the way DDoS, I have some experience with handling / blocking them. The most ddos methods can be blocked, I mean when a single IP sends packages to your server with TCP, a simple vb.net program can block it (for example KiwiGuard). UDP attacks are more advanced, I don't know any programs so far which can block it. Even it blocks it, the host machine can be overloaded, ... if it blocks every bytes sent through UDP, your system will freeze.

So summarizing all, I recommend OVH with cisco hardware firewall. One more problem, I don't know if they offer offshore hosting, but you'd rather host your 4s server with an offshore hosting, due to DMCA.
Why? ... Offshore hostings are just igroning DMCA, because they are in a such country, which didn't accept the Digital Milennium Copyright Act, that means you can use nulled scripts, and others including 4S. I know 4Story is not a 'nulled' script, it's stolen, but the main reason is exactly the same for why you can use nulled, and 4s scripts on an offshore hosting: Most of the offshore hostings allows this kind of scripts, because .. as I said they can ignore DMCA. But most of them they have a law, or a term for it. I don't know the exact law, but it's something like. If your content is not some media (music, pic, video), then it's OK.
01/19/2014 18:03 RemyNaoki#8
so i can protect my server with kiwiguard?
01/21/2014 19:55 glossypvp#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyNaoki View Post
so i can protect my server with kiwiguard?
Although it's a free software since you can download it from google code, kiwi can block TCP based DDoS attacks very well. You just need to set max tcp connections per IP like 20, or something low value. And probihit minutes to 1.
If you are under attack, it won't have any effect regarding the network speed and pings, but kiwiguard will not respond, and it will use quite much ram than it's usual (when kiwi is running, and you are not under attack, it should eat around 20MB ram, but when you are under attack, 90-150MB) I recommend to restart kiwiguard when it's ram usage reaches 160MB. Close it from task manager, and then immidiately start it before the attack slows down your connection.
01/23/2014 11:04 PinkySwag#10
Suggest you to use Kiwi guard and setup router firewall. May block mutch request in some seconds.
01/23/2014 11:14 spek01#11
Buy Layer 69 and GTFO
01/23/2014 22:26 AllCowsAreBurgers#12
If you look on the right places, you will find cheap ddos protections....
01/25/2014 19:08 Bσdhi#13
Good DDos protection costs maybe 50€/month. Talk to some factories.
01/31/2014 15:50 iÝoshii36#14
you need Cloudflare for your Web server
and a nice firewall for you root.

*ps wer firewalls sucht schaut einfach mal in der Metin2 Section vorbei, da sind
genug firewalls public.
01/31/2014 15:53 Weom#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iÝoshii36 View Post
you need Cloudflare for your Web server
and a nice firewall for you root.

*ps wer firewalls sucht schaut einfach mal in der Metin2 Section vorbei, da sind
genug firewalls public.
Wahrscheinlich für FreeBSD, 4Story läuft aber nur auf einem Windows Server.