Open-Source Development: A C++ Project

11/24/2012 10:16 Spirited#1
Hey everyone,

I haven't made a public project, ever. I'm still working on Kibou (Burning Skies) and that will be returning this winter; however, I feel very bound to that project (and the C# language). I enjoy it, but I'd also like to work on something new. Something for the month that I'm off to do while I'm bored of re-documenting Kibou. That's why I want to make a new project that's not in C#. I want to make a VC++ project. I chose VC++ because I'm more familiar with it (and because I don't have much experience yet with C++). I'd like to use this as an experience for me, so feedback is always nice. Please don't comment about why I shouldn't use VC++ though, I know. I'd still like to learn it. Anyways, I'm also questioning if I should stick with Conquer Online for this project. That's why I'm asking you. What Conquer-like game should I make a private server for?

Cheers,
Spirited Fang
11/24/2012 10:21 Silent-Death#2
good luck with your project dude and keep us posted.

If you are going the CO1 route and need debuggers, lemme know.
11/24/2012 13:56 I don't have a username#3
You should give up, because you said "VC++". It does not exist.

Also why not cross-platform since it's C++?
11/24/2012 14:56 CptSky#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't have a username View Post
You should give up, because you said "VC++". It does not exist.

Also why not cross-platform since it's C++?
Visual C++ does exist. It's the Microsoft implementation of the C++ language.

Anyway, doing it in C++, you should try to make a cross-platform implementation. Maybe by using some awesome framework as Qt, or by asking someone to refer you some equivalent POSIX API to WinAPI.

On topic, if you work on EoF, you know that I'm willing to help you. And as I already said, if I do work on EoF, it's for an open-source C++ emulator, which must be cross-platform (POSIX-compliant/Win32 & Endian-neutral) and documented like a pro :p
11/24/2012 16:29 phize#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSky View Post
Visual C++ is an IDE, C++/CLI is the language by MS.
11/24/2012 16:39 CptSky#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by phize View Post
Visual C++ is an IDE, C++/CLI is the language by MS.
Microsoft Visual C++ is an IDE which support :

Microsoft C++ is a managed extension to C++ by Microsoft superseded by C++/CLI.
C++/CLI is a managed extension to C++ by Microsoft.
Visual C++ is the Microsoft implementation of the C++ standard. It is not compliant to everything, and few things are specific to Microsoft Visual C++. (e.g. #pragma pack, __int8, etc) Visual C++ is similar to Intel C++ which is a compiler and an implementation of the C++ standard.

Clear ?
11/24/2012 16:53 ~*NewDuuDe*~#7
Isn't bone-you doing an open source project in c++? You could just pick up on that if you wish to stick to CO.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
11/24/2012 17:36 CptSky#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*NewDuuDe*~ View Post
Isn't bone-you doing an open source project in c++? You could just pick up on that if you wish to stick to CO.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
I wouldn't take bone's source as a base. Plus, it could be interesting to have something not based on bone's project as all C++ emulator of CO2 are from him.
11/24/2012 18:47 Spirited#9
I kindly asked that people didn't discuss compilers, but it's always refreshing seeing what people think. Again, I'm using VC++ because I'm familiar with it and because I'd like more experience using it. That's the purpose of this project, to use VC++. I won't be using the managed, CRL version of VC++ either. There's no point in doing that when I can use C#. I'm using Win32 and the WinAPI.
11/24/2012 21:47 I don't have a username#10
Quote:

Anyway, doing it in C++, you should try to make a cross-platform implementation. Maybe by using some awesome framework as Qt, or by asking someone to refer you some equivalent POSIX API to WinAPI.

On topic, if you work on EoF, you know that I'm willing to help you. And as I already said, if I do work on EoF, it's for an open-source C++ emulator, which must be cross-platform (POSIX-compliant/Win32 & Endian-neutral) and documented like a pro :p
Visual C++ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Type: IDE

Also why'd he use Qt for a thing like this? Qt is mainly for application/game/phone development etc.

I'd say go with boost :)
11/24/2012 22:06 CptSky#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't have a username View Post
Visual C++ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Type: IDE

Also why'd he use Qt for a thing like this? Qt is mainly for application/game/phone development etc.

I'd say go with boost :)
Visual C++ is the compiler AND the implementation of the C++ standard. A C++ source code that use Visual C++ extensions of the language is coded in VC++. I never said that Visual C++ wasn't an IDE. But, it is right to say that something is coded in VC++ if it isn't pure C++.

Qt, although originally mainly for GUI, is now a fairly complete framework. The slot/signal extension is really useful for networking. Boost will do the job too. Both are well designed, although I tend to prefer Qt.

Anyway, Fang seems to want to use WinAPI, etc...
11/24/2012 23:46 Spirited#12
That's right. VC++ is Microsoft's Visual C++ language and a short name for Microsoft's Visual Studio C++ IDE. There are a few versions of the language: VC++ ATL (Active Template Library), VC++ CLR (Common Language Runtime, which is used in the .NET Framework), VC++ MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class Library), and VC++ Win32 (the original and base for all other versions of VC++). I want to just use the WinAPI to create sockets in Windows and such, so that's why I'm using VC++ Win32. I could use boost, but I want to get familiar with Windows first. The purpose of this project is to use the WinAPI. Some companies use VC++, and so I want experience using it.
11/25/2012 01:05 CptSky#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
[...] I could use boost, but I want to get familiar with Windows first. The purpose of this project is to use the WinAPI. Some companies use VC++, and so I want experience using it.
The only companies that use WinAPI are companies targeting only Windows :rolleyes: Else, they'll go for POSIX & cross-platform framework as Mac OS X, *NIX, GNU/Linux are all POSIX-compliant, and Windows is the only "unique" system. Windows is like the black sheep of the OSes :p But, I started with the WinAPI, and it still a good base due to high functionalities integrated into the OS. So, if you don't plan to make the emulator cross-platform, using the WinAPI will be more optimal.
11/25/2012 02:29 Spirited#14
Quote:
The only companies that use WinAPI are companies targeting only Windows :rolleyes: Else, they'll go for POSIX & cross-platform framework as Mac OS X, *NIX, GNU/Linux are all POSIX-compliant, and Windows is the only "unique" system. Windows is like the black sheep of the OSes :p But, I started with the WinAPI, and it still a good base due to high functionalities integrated into the OS. So, if you don't plan to make the emulator cross-platform, using the WinAPI will be more optimal.
Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Companies that target Windows. I'd still like to know how to use it and DirectX (eventually, not with this project though).
11/25/2012 15:13 I don't have a username#15
But either way... aren't you busy enough with your other project? Or you quitted that again and if so then I just see this dying as well.