PlaySpan Hacked

10/15/2012 00:15 JohnHeatz#1
Every player of Wargaming.net's Wold of Tanks is asked to change their password as soon as possible; this is because PlaySpan, the system Wargaming uses to conduct real money transactions in this game, has been hacked.

This means that over two million account details have been leaked online, including email addresses, user IDs and encrypted passwords. A leak on credit card information has not been mentioned, yet, there is never enough security, so at least a password change should be done by users.

PlaySpan's response against this hack was to shut down the Marketplace and lock user accounts, until they've conducted an investigation.

"When PlaySpan detected the breach, we immediately shut down the hacker's access to our systems and took steps to protect our customers' PlaySpan accounts. We then commenced a comprehensive forensic analysis and are working with law enforcement to investigate the crime.

We sincerelyapologize for any frustration or invonvenience this incident has cause our customers. We know PlaySpan's business depends on consumer trust. Security is a top priority for us, and we are redoubling our efforts to strengthen PlaySpan's overallsystem security."

Since this situation occurred, Wargaming America has released an official statement as well

"Wargaming is aware of the recent security issue with PlaySpan, which affected user accounts associated with its Marketplace store, including user name, email addresses, and encrypted passwords. This affects World of Tanks players only if they used their Marketplace accounts to purchase PlaySpan Ultimate Game Cards through uPay. Wargaming urges players to change their user information and passwords if they are identical on both PlaySpan and on Wargaming.net/WorldofTanks.

Players who do not have common user information for both are at no security risk, and in addition, no financial data was compromised in the security breach.

Everyone at Wargaming apologizes for this inconvenience."
10/15/2012 01:56 Nicetech#2
It was so obvious that this would happen some day, but didn't that happen a week or so ago? I think I've received their mail then.

Thank you for the info and let us hope that there is really no leak on credit card information ;)
10/15/2012 02:28 JohnHeatz#3
Declarations were given just recently (earlier today) there were some fake news about a hack in which GW2 and even EVE Online accounts were compromised, yet those were not accurate nor real; might have happened before, yet concrete information about this was provided to the press by PlaySpan today.
10/15/2012 02:47 AiMKEEEY.#4
Thanks for the Info :(
10/15/2012 08:12 ProI3oI3#5
thanks ;)
10/15/2012 09:44 Niebieskiii#6
F**k!
Btw. Thanks ;(
10/15/2012 15:37 PortalDark#7
good i dont have any kind of info there(i have an account there but no CC linked)
10/16/2012 09:48 panzertank#8
yeah i was notified by an email a ~week ago.. good thing i only used playspan once and that too with paysafecard
11/17/2012 22:13 manuelin12221#9
I change mi password thanks :)