Rudimentary Knowledge

09/16/2012 04:56 Golden11#1
I know this may be the wrong place, but I kinda want stick toward pserver knowledge so I posted here.

Right know I have what you would consider the most elementary understand of every aspect of coding/networking. But in 2 yearsish I'm going to go into computer engineering. Hopefully, I'll learn more than enough then, but I wish to further my knowledge now. So my question to you people is, where/what would I go about doing to do this? Is there like some kind of guide you all use or is all just hands on stuff? Anything helps.
09/16/2012 05:48 JohnHeatz#2
#Moved to the right section

Now, to give you some ideas about this, you can start looking for e-books about the programming language that you want to learn, as you say you have some basic knowledge I won't refer to other sort of information that is needed when you want to learn about programming...

As well, there are tutorials all over the net, so you can look for some tutorials after reading some information of the language(s) that you want to learn.
09/16/2012 08:15 KraHen#3
In your place I`d definitely start with C# or Java, it`s just so much easier to grasp the concept with these than with a lower level language, I feel remorse for myself for not doing this in the first place back when I was beginning.
09/16/2012 08:40 Silent-Death#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
In your place I`d definitely start with C# or Java, it`s just so much easier to grasp the concept with these than with a lower level language, I feel remorse for myself for not doing this in the first place back when I was beginning.
i agree with you here.
You should play with the procedural programming for a while, get used to the loops, conditions, the primitives and so on but OOP is the way to go and java/c# are great starting points for that.

As for where to start, well.. google and torrents my friend..
09/16/2012 14:14 Golden11#5
Well like you guys said, C# and javascript are where I want to direct myself to. And I do know what I consider to be a quite a bit considering I have no prior instruction. For example, I could do simple NPCs on CO2 and a few loops and stuff for javascript.

So is hands on experience the best? You know like trial n error?
09/16/2012 14:17 Silent-Death#6
java and javascript are not the same shizzle.
09/16/2012 14:30 Golden11#7
Oh shoot. You're right. I thought you said javascript up there. My bad.

Thinking I'ma try to make my own server and just eff around on it. Whacha think?
09/16/2012 14:39 Silent-Death#8
just start playing around mate, get some books see how it is and make plans once you have a basic grasp of it.
09/17/2012 16:02 Korvacs#9
Avoid java if you can help it.