future of private pvp servers n other stuff.

04/10/2012 16:48 IDivideByZero#1
as a continuation to discussion in acidco thread: not really. It's not like community grew up 'cause there was always some closed group of people visiting acid and they remained around. Whenever it opened, they arrived again n again. Not many of old acid's members started shit serious enough to forget how cool it've been back fbing n ssing.

Thing is fbing is still extremaly entertaining feature of the game and that basically differs conquer from other tq products and other mmorpgs even. I never found leveling more than interesting at times and I always did find fbing fun.
I still believe that source of conquer itself still hides lots of potential, yet secret to unleash this is quite unknown for most of the people I've known during my private servers journey. There's always unstable n laggy server hosted somewhere in azerbaijan, which gets more attention n money than a serious project developed by serious, able to communicate people, based on stable and ambitious source.

Why does it always happen?
04/10/2012 16:59 cogeorge93#2
Because they tend to like the "over-powered animelike" servers.
04/10/2012 18:01 ×Holo#3
PvP servers won't survive, as you can see what happened to acidco (and i guess it will happen eventually to projectx) leveling, hunting and these kind of stuff started to attract people more than pvping since realco destroyed pvp (around 5017).

so no, maybe just in one case.. if you make a leveling server with features of pvping servers.

#EDIT: but still till now, i don't know what's really special about CoEmu, acidco and projectxco got much more features.. but CoEmu made a great success and till now, after CoEmu reopening their [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...], 700+ likes or something since sept2011.. some servers are special and unforgotten for some people, like me.
04/10/2012 18:09 pro4never#4
It's the same reason no PVP mmo has ever truly worked. There used to be a f2p mmo based entirely around pvp arena stuff that was really fun... same thing happened to it. It died out because as long as you go with pvp only content, you have to keep creating new content to keep people interested or the game will soon die out... OR it has to be incredibly engaging to begin with.

Conquer pvp is definitely enjoyable but is in no way balanced across classes, serves any true purpose and invites hacking and unfair play.

Until someone bypasses the issues with conquer pvp (unlikely to happen), no true pvp server will be able to survive, new content or otherwise.
04/10/2012 21:13 IDivideByZero#5
not really. I agree on lack of succesful pvp mmos but they're plenty of games depending only on duels, pvp arenas or just shooting. Whatever you do there is extremaly repeatable and yet people find it attractive enough. Bah, single p servers thru conquers history confirm that theory. CoEmu for example, if me n guy above mean the same server, was extremaly popular and it, in fact, had no features. Server was laggy, permanently limited (somewhat about 120 slots for players, as far i remember), and the only feature which made it any pvp was extended guild wars. Yet, people chose to pay for the entrance tickets in order to sit in jail, kill foreigns and chat. This is just one example of dozens of servers which succeed by being simply, buggy and laggy.
As I was also coemus player I can tell it, surprisingly, was one of the best servers i've played on.

And back to different topic, conquer still has potential tho. Classes are balancable, gameplay is flexible. Yet nobody was dedicated enough to make a whole new pvp/arena game at conquers base. Not because it's physically impossible or something. Shit was unluckily always in the price, and now... meh, i believe nobody cant be arsed to get involved.
04/10/2012 21:59 pro4never#6
The issue is trying to convert what is designed as a MMO into a different sort of game. The way the gameplay works does not blend well with the altered style mostly because of the exploitative nature of the game.

If I decided to go in, strip out the entire gameplay portion of conquer and re-balance all items, skills and classes in the game... and then create custom content geared to these newly balanced classes then yes... the game could be good.

The problem is that is NOT how conquer is right now. The way the items are balanced alone means that there's one single 'best' set of armor for each class and anything outside of that is boring. You have garments for sure but right here alone you've ruled out 95 percent of your game content from being in any way useful to your server.
04/10/2012 23:37 ×Holo#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
[...] and then create custom content geared to these newly balanced classes then yes... the game could be good.
[...]
That's why I'm adding the Two-Handed Sword and Utopian promotion :facepalm:
04/11/2012 00:28 _DreadNought_#8
Fang looks like he's got some pretty interesting shit going on.

I was working on a PVP source and I still have some ideas that really would bring conquer's PVP to a whole new level, I just lack motivation to finish it, though I'm completely capable of creating a non laggy/stable server.
04/11/2012 00:49 I don't have a username#9
Lol CoEmu... I still speak with MM from time to time, but he is fat and lazy, never online.

It wasn't the server that made it good, but the community.
04/11/2012 10:26 Korvacs#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ×Holo View Post
That's why I'm adding the Two-Handed Sword and Utopian promotion :facepalm:
Adding one new weapon and one feature wont magically over night make a server good, nor magically alter the game. Its a good start, but going to need more than that..
04/11/2012 12:19 ×Holo#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Adding one new weapon and one feature wont magically over night make a server good, nor magically alter the game. Its a good start, but going to need more than that..
Ikr, but it's just one step forward.. I'm adding different promotion for each class ex.UtopianWarrior, LethalTrojan etc, adding a weapon for each class and skills for each weapon and we got a quite good start.
04/11/2012 12:31 _DreadNought_#12
It's the community that makes any server good, but ultimately it's the server, bad server bad community.
04/11/2012 17:11 I don't have a username#13
Conquer had a future.
04/11/2012 18:04 ×Holo#14
Yes, and pserver have a future.
04/11/2012 18:09 Captivate#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ×Holo View Post
Yes, and pserver have a future.
Of course they have, I doubt that it's gonna be successful though.