[EN]Reinstalling windows

02/27/2011 18:02 Vaidas B#1
Hello everyone, I have a few questions about reinstalling windows (I know that I can use google for this, but I want MY questions anwsered, if you know what I mean).

To start off, I want to ask about windows.
What's better, windows xp, or windows 7?

The reason I'm asking is my pc, it's not very powerful, and i've heard that win7 needs alot of resources to run and alot of things that usualy run just fine on xp are bugged on 7 (i use this PC mostly for work). So a reply from someone who uses win 7 would be a very good thing.
My pc stats are:

1Gb ram
2,1 processor
512 graphic card

My second question is drivers:
I know that windows has some stuff on it, but what about drivers? Will it be able to run the basic stuff untill I install mine?

My next quesion is booting from the CD?
Is that really needed? (Some sites say yes, some no) And how should that be done? I have read that some computers do that automaticaly, and some don't.

The last question is the overall process, do you have any tips?
Do you have any tips that would make the process smoother, faster.

Thanks for your time and replies :)
02/27/2011 18:18 guapopaul#2
Here a list you should have for Win7 from the Microsoft homepage.

Quote:
Systemanforderungen für Windows 7

Folgende Voraussetzungen müssen erfüllt sein, um Windows 7 auf Ihrem PC auszuführen:

1-GHz-Prozessor oder höher mit 32 Bit (x86) oder 64 Bit (x64)

1 GB RAM (32-Bit) oder 2 GB RAM (64-Bit)

16 GB verfügbarer Festplattenspeicher (32-Bit) oder 20 GB (64-Bit)

DirectX 9-Grafikgerät mit WDDM 1.0- oder höherem Treiber
from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
02/27/2011 18:22 Gordge#3
Well, i would not use Win7 on this PC, use XP instead would be fine.

Installing from CD is not a "must" but it make the installationprocess much easier.
02/27/2011 19:10 Diablo_#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConArtist View Post
1Gb ram

My second question is drivers:
I know that windows has some stuff on it, but what about drivers? Will it be able to run the basic stuff untill I install mine?

My next quesion is booting from the CD?
Is that really needed? (Some sites say yes, some no) And how should that be done? I have read that some computers do that automaticaly, and some don't.

The last question is the overall process, do you have any tips?
Do you have any tips that would make the process smoother, faster.

Thanks for your time and replies :)
Hello,

you need to install the drivers for your Videocard and other Hardware. Your PC will be able to run the basic Things. You have to install the Windows Updates and make sure your Programs are up-to-date.

If you have a Windows XP CD, you should boot from it. You have to set the boot priority for the Windows CD to "boot from CD".

You can find a tutorial by using Google. After you set the right priority, the PC will boot from it and you can choose what you want to do.

For you; "Install Windows XP".

Greets Diablo_

/Edit: Picture for the boot priority:

On the Picture you can see " First Boot Device - CD Rom" . This is the correct option.