Bypassing SMSE Installation Errors on a 64 Bit OS

02/21/2011 06:15 Skrillex#1
When using Windows 7, you have to run CMD in 64 bit mode, since it runs in both 32 and 64. The basic Command Prompt runs in 64 bit, so you shouldn't have too much of an issue.


Step One - Right click on your desktop and hover over "New", and then click "Shortcut".
Step Two - Type in this exact path - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe
Step Three - Right click on the shortcut to CMD you just made, and then click "Run As Administrator"
Step Four - Enter the full path and file name where you have the file located:
Example : C:\Users\YourComputerAccountName\Downloads\SQLServ er2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi

Type in the exact path you have the file located at.
I ran into this error when I tried installing it, So I figured I'd share the information, and hope it helps someone in the near furture. This method doesnt have to be used only for SQL, but rather any installation that you might have errors with. I figured I'd just post here cause I encountered it while setting up my 2nd server, :P
02/21/2011 06:37 [Dev]Ansem#2
maybe someone doesnt know it but normally you need to run everything as administrator on windows 7 :p
02/21/2011 07:39 Skrillex#3
Not everything :P

It can be a little finicky though, and does get a bit annoying.
02/22/2011 00:47 ProfNerwosol#4
MSSQL 2005 and SMSE 2005 are know to have compatibility issues with Vista and you are talking about Windows 7 64bit. Use MSSQL and SMSE 2008 Express. Saves you problems with licence and other junk.
02/22/2011 05:35 Skrillex#5
You dont really have to worry to much aboust liscenses with the 2005 edition, I mainly used it to access the DB of a server I was helping set up, and was having issues with this new comp. It should work the same way on Vista as well. It is an honor to have you post on one of my threads though :P