Server Hosts

04/28/2013 22:47 j4ckwr4th#31
i am NOT trying to spread paranoia, i legitimately have no idea what the risks ACTUALLY are for contracting a host for a pserver, i only have my personal concerns. to which you are helping to allay ^^
04/28/2013 22:59 c1ph3r#32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xijezu View Post
Depends on if you're hosting SQL on the same server or not and how many players you have.
On a server with ~50 players online, 8GB should be enough. On a server with 500 you should have atleast 20+, since SQL is using alot of it.
Since 8.1 i would recommend 16 GB of Ram. My DB can go up to 6 GB with ~50 Players + 2.5 GB GS. I think 8 could be a little bit to less if there are a lot of opened instances etc.
04/29/2013 23:28 wisp66#33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenOnlyWishes View Post
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you j4ckwr4th. In the long run it is a much better habit to build a server and host yourself rather than use a hosting service.

I believe the main reason why most people choose an actual server host over their own server, not only the issue of network security, but also, as you stated, legal security. There are many nations with companies that host private dedicated servers and are "outside" the realm of copyright. Because of this it is easier and safer for many to use a host within one of those nations, or at least outside of their own nation. Or so they believe. In reality that's a total farce.

But yes, the major issue being network security. And unless you know professional network administrators like I do, not many have a resource to draw information on how to lock down a server properly, to prevent hacking. I myself have had to build Anti-Hacking software on specific p-servers because of this.

Ultimately I should really just design a system locker that when being hacked fries their motherboard..... but that might be overdoing it..... lmao.
some of its security and some of it has to do bandwidth allowence at least in the usa it can be an issue depending where you live a minut issue could be server cost if one didnt have the resources to buy or build
04/30/2013 00:50 HeavenOnlyWishes#34
Hey Whisp, long time no see....

> Xiji
You put on your prior post to have a 1GBit connection, Servers4You has a 100MBit connection speed.... So is that too little?
06/17/2013 18:13 Dyson49#35
Since I don't think to have more than 100 players on my server this is the Dedicated server I think I should take but I'm not sur:

Technology: Sandy Bridge
CPU: Intel Core i3 3240
Cores / Threads: 2 / 4
Frequency: 3.4GHz+
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Hard disk: 2x 1TB SATA2
Traffic : 5TB included
Connection: 100 Mbps

Is this good enough.

Also wanted to know is SQL Developper was good enough or I should have NaviCat or something with it.
06/17/2013 20:53 xIchigo#36
Yes Dyson, that is more than Team Hyperion used when we started. Should work just fine.
06/17/2013 23:06 Xijezu#37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson49 View Post
Also wanted to know is SQL Developper was good enough or I should have NaviCat or something with it.
SQL Server Manager is fine, but I personally prefer Navicat, just simply because it's faster and it has some nice, easy, functions.
Basically just use what you prefer.