Programming for Idiots (C#) - Take 2

12/14/2010 13:30 tanelipe#16
Interesting tutorials. In my opinion there's no need to tell more about dowhile-loop since It's basically (like you stated) just the same as while-loop except for the fact that it always runs at least once.

[Last part]
It's also questionable whether to teach pointers for beginners (or as you call, idiots). There's really no point since they've picked C# where you're not really supposed to work with pointers. IMO the memory part should've been at the beginning with introduction to variables (how much they take space, their types etc.). PInvoke is always good, if you wish to extend the standard .net library.

Good tutorial(s) nevertheless.
12/14/2010 15:12 InfamousNoone#17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanelipe View Post
Interesting tutorials. In my opinion there's no need to tell more about dowhile-loop since It's basically (like you stated) just the same as while-loop except for the fact that it always runs at least once.

[Last part]
It's also questionable whether to teach pointers for beginners (or as you call, idiots). There's really no point since they've picked C# where you're not really supposed to work with pointers. IMO the memory part should've been at the beginning with introduction to variables (how much they take space, their types etc.). PInvoke is always good, if you wish to extend the standard .net library.

Good tutorial(s) nevertheless.
The way I looked at it was by the time I get down to that point, they should have a fairly fluently understanding of the general language itself. Hence forth, this is why I call it the "dark-side" of C#. As it can be avoided, but that isn't to be said that it should. More or less I'm trying to build a foundation from bottom-up to the "pro" level.
12/14/2010 19:56 xScott#18
im curious, your planning on doing tutorials on threading?
maybe crossthreading and thread safety?
12/14/2010 21:28 InfamousNoone#19
Threading will be covered in Unit 3 (Frequently used classes). It will rely heavily upon material from Unit 2 (delegates, anonymous methods, procedures). I think I'll have to break threading up into two sections, which will just be -- how it works, and the dangers of it (i.e. deadlocking). Once I run out of material to talk about (i.e. after Unit 5) I'll likely start talking about stuff like the AppDomain, BigInteger (.NET 4.0), and so on -- In other words likely something titled "Uncommon Classes".
12/14/2010 21:43 Kiyono#20
But what if you get bored before you even get there? With the videos you just stopped.
12/14/2010 21:56 Syst3m_W1z4rd#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyono View Post
But what if you get bored before you even get there? With the videos you just stopped.
Don't be negative<3

Lets hope he dosn't.
:cool::cool::cool:
12/15/2010 05:04 InfamousNoone#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyono View Post
But what if you get bored before you even get there? With the videos you just stopped.
Like I said with the before. With the videos it was more like; I had to do everything at once. Each lesson had to be recorded in one go -- and if I fucked up, I might have to even re-record. This was a real negative aspect to using videos.

By using Word documents, I can work on half a unit now; and then the other half a couple hours later and nobody would be able to tell. Winter break is coming up for me which means even more spare time too.

Edit: Added Lesson Two - Classes and the Static-modifier
- lol, I realized I forgot to explain arrays in Unit One, so I'll have to get that done tomorrow.
12/15/2010 17:22 xScott#23
cant seem to download the latest one, is anyone else having problems?
12/15/2010 20:20 E.M.E#24
hmmmz you have anything about kissing php with C# :P "Soap clients" ?
12/16/2010 00:24 InfamousNoone#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.E View Post
hmmmz you have anything about kissing php with C# :P "Soap clients" ?
I don't (nor do I particularly intend at this time to at this time). Sorry.
Added Lesson Nine - Arrays (Unit One). Also, just realized I'll have to explain multi-dimensional arrays as well, so that's a lesson ten for unit one, haha.
12/16/2010 22:17 xScott#26
could touch on jagged arrays, even though they are hardly ever used. :awesome:
12/17/2010 01:06 InfamousNoone#27
I planned on including jagged arrays when I talked about multi-dimensional arrays, because hey; not all programming languages have multi-dimensional arrays! So it's worth while knowledge. :) Will have a guide up by the end of tonight on 'em!

Edit:
Added (Unit One) Lesson Ten - Arrays(II).
12/17/2010 10:50 Korvacs#28
This is looking like a very useful resource, very informative as usual from you inf.

Keep it up :)
12/17/2010 14:53 gabrola#29
Sticky?
12/17/2010 19:33 tanelipe#30
People don't read stickys (judging by the amount of rule-breakers this forum has) so it's better to just leave it amongst normal threads.