Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 01:12

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

glider and the bans

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
WARNING IS STILL IN EFFECT
As I am sure you noticed, the Glider popup is still active and points to Merc's sticky.
I suggest you head my thread and wait until we hear from Mercury before you fire up Glider again.
-=There is Light at the end of the tunnel but, we aren?t out of it yet.=-
Vulnerabilities have been studied.
Theories have been hashed out.
A series of detection test are being run, some completed.
Mercury has planned and is implementing solutions.
Glider will be better than ever before.

Sep 5th was a record high for bans this year. However, great progress is being made and you will be very, very pleased with what Mercury is up to. There isn?t just one possible answer to the ban increase. Each one is being tested and solved, one by one.

Mercury enlisted Ogirl for some online testing and knocked yet another one from his list. He is also crafting solutions for some unconfirmed threats and has come up with a universal solution to potential future threats. He is very cleaver and he is working very hard.

We also have first hand confirmation of an old theory and I am making a full report for you. My report will coincide with Mercury?s future post. Both have to wait for further testing and programming.

I am not firing up Glider yet. Please head Mercury?s popup warning and wait, it will be well worth it. For those of you that are new, know that this is the incredible kind of support this product gets and you can expect the same in the future. I have been through the Sep 2005 ban wave and Glider is still alive and kicking today! I imagine it will be here for quite a while longer.

Old   #2

elite*gold: 102
Received Thanks: 1,778
Jo Thx Xala

Old   #3

Quote:
WARNING IS STILL IN EFFECT
As I am sure you noticed, the Glider popup is still active and points to Merc's sticky.
I suggest you head my thread and wait until we hear from Mercury before you fire up Glider again.

-=Mercury Will Post RC6 Within 24 Hours=-
Preliminary tests are complete.
RC6 is being tested.
Wait for Mercury?s thread for questions about level of risk etc.

I am definitely not firing up Glider yet and will wait for RC6 and Mercury? update.

-=Mercury Will Post RC6 Within 24 Hours=-
Old   #4

Jana sollte zum Glider Mod oder so gemacht werden xD

Old   #5

*~* Hab' jetzt irgendwie Schiss, dass ich jetzt detectet wurde, da ich vorhin mit RC5 unterwegs war..
Irgendwie haben mich schon einige Leute auch gemeldet..
Hmm, mal sehen was die Zukunft bringt.
Old   #6

rc6 is draussen
Quote:

Well, it's been an exciting couple of days. If you call this kind of thing exciting.

Here's the stuff we've learned. As usual, I'll start with facts before moving into my opinions:

- Getting an account banned from a player report can be amazingly fast. In a test, we had an account banned within 20 minutes of reporting. During the ban process, the gliding account was probed by the GM: a series of rapid short-range teleports, disappearing monsters after pull, disappearing corpses, and random debuffs applied. After the tinkering, there was a short delay and then instant ban. Email was sent, however, separating this test from the "special circumstances" of last week.

- I have not found anything in Warden that detects Glider. I've seen two variants of it here, neither doing anything scary.

- Beta RC6 is out with a few tweaks and the beginning of some Warden-sniffing stuff. Highly recommended, you can grab it here:

(unzip over an existing Glider install)

My opinions:

I'm still undecided on the big ban pop. A couple interesting conspiracy theories have come up (cookie snooping, banner with refer logging, mouse hook), but nothing is definite. That's the unsettling thing, is there is no smoking gun. One distinct possibility is a gap between low-level GM's handling reports and the admins actually doing the banning. In my test case, the ban was during business hours and there was a delay between when the investigating GM was talking to our shill and when the ban came, which was from a different person. It's quite possible that GM's have been building cases for awhile and Tuesday was the first working day (Labor Day being a holiday) when the bans could be processed.

It's also possible for code to be hidden outside of Warden, which would mark a really bad shift in the detection trickery with Blizzard. It'd be harder for them, but it'd make life hell for bots.

Is it safe to glide?
Everyone wants to know. Many of you guys know I can't answer that with a real yes/no. It's more of an opinion. Since we don't know what set off the ban wave, I'd say it's not terribly safe to glide. On the other hand, some new tweaks in RC6 will definitely make it harder to sniff out, and there are a lot of possibilities other than client-side detection. If I were to give it a numeric value, I'd say two weeks ago, we were 80% safe to glide. After Tuesday, 20%. Today, 50%. So you make the call.

Old   #7

heisst aber nicht das du unendeckt bleibst. ich use es noch nicht ich warte noch paar wochen ab
Old   #8

Quote:
Is it safe to glide?
Everyone wants to know. Many of you guys know I can't answer that with a real yes/no. It's more of an opinion. Since we don't know what set off the ban wave, I'd say it's not terribly safe to glide. On the other hand, some new tweaks in RC6 will definitely make it harder to sniff out, and there are a lot of possibilities other than client-side detection. If I were to give it a numeric value, I'd say two weeks ago, we were 80% safe to glide. After Tuesday, 20%. Today, 50%. So you make the call.
hat niemand gesagt oder dakidor?
Old   #9

Mit meinem Main Acc werde ich persönlich Glider auch nicht nützen.

Quote:
disappearing monsters after pull, disappearing corpses
Das ist sowieso die ärgste Frechheit.
Ich habe mir als Ziel gesetzt am Weg zu Lv 60 alle 3 Drachen Pets zu holen.
Den roten und den grünen hatte ich schon. (Damals ohne Glider)

Als ich in der Lv Range war um im Ödland den schwarzen Drachen zu erfarmen, war ich insgesamt 6 Levelups dort und in dieser Zeit gab es während jedes Levels eine Periode wo einfach Leichen verschwanden, Mobs entkamen einfach, verschwanden, respawnten sofort wieder usw.
Der schwarze Drache ist nie gedropped. Eventuell war er in den Leichen die sofort verschwunden sind.
Ich hab ein Ticket geschrieben und die GM's gefragt ob sie noch ganz dicht sind.

Hat natürlich nichts genutzt und die GM's haben sich natürlich auf meine 'bösen Addons' ausgeredet und ich solle die WTF usw Ordner löschen.

Das war ca vor einem Monat.