Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > User Submitted News
You last visited: Today at 08:14

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts

Publisher LucasArts, home of one of the most memorable games ever made, got closed down by Disney today.

The official statement from Disney (which recently acquired LucasFilm and LucasArts) reads as follows:

Quote:
"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."
For most of you who have been following the recent history of LucasArts, this may not be a huge surprise. LucasArts has been struggling for a while now. Their most recent Star Wars games have been disappointing, both in sales and quality. Especially Star Wars: The Old Republic which was published by EA was a huge disappointment and failed to maintain subscribers which led to a Free2Play model that didn't really do the trick by having ridiculous limitations for free users.

The shift to a licensing model means LucasArts will no longer be developing games internally. Instead, the studio will be handing game development to third party developers

Many of the games for which LucasArts is best remembered for its genre-defining '90s adventure games created by Ron Gilbert and DoubleFine's Tim Schafer like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango.

Source:
Attached Thumbnails
Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts-lucaslogo610.jpg  

Thanks
1 User