Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > User Submitted News
You last visited: Today at 09:32

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Microsoft Man Talks Next Gen

Discussion on Microsoft Man Talks Next Gen within the User Submitted News forum part of the News & More category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 83
Received Thanks: 6,036
Microsoft Man Talks Next Gen

This is mostly all quoted about the new gen "Xbox 720".
This is mostly answered by the man "Phil Spencer".

So alot of people said they are disappointed with E3. Saying hardware makers haven't took enough risks.

Phil: "Okay... Well, I think there are multiple audiences when you come to a show like E3. You've got the developers, who are looking at each other. You've got the people who are all about buying new hardware, and they're just really focused on when the next hardware's coming out. And then you've got the whole business, retail kind of people, who are looking at business stuff.

I think our business is really in a sweet spot, if you think about the installed base and the number of people, the addressable audience of a platform like Xbox 360 right now. So as somebody who's running a publisher, a first party publisher, but still, an entertainment publisher, it's a great time to be on Xbox. We've got tens of millions of people out there, so when we put out something like Minecraft, we sold two million units. That's a great business.

You're now at a scale, both on Live and the hardware, where you can come out with things that are not Call of Duty, Halo, Assassin's Creed, these big hundred-million-dollar productions. Because the audience is there to reach people and actually have real success. I think that creatively that's a great unlock. There's just more things you can focus on. You can focus on specific segments, or specific projects. We think about entertainment, television, sports, fitness... You know those people are out there because you look at the numbers and it just pours out. You're going to have more women, younger kids, a lot of people in the system. I think it's a really healthy place for us."

Everyone is asking, where the hell is the xbox 720? So why didn't you come with some new hardware?

Phil: "Well, I think we have to be careful when we say "everyone" is asking. Because I don't think it's everyone, right? There's a core set, and I'm one of these people. In my heart I'm a core gamer. There are some people that are looking for what's next. And I love that. Those are the catalysts for our business, those are the people who are going to line up outside the store the night before and get the newest piece of hardware when it comes out. You want to keep that core enthusiast involved in what you're doing, and they're the most critical. But we can't fool ourselves into thinking that that's all that this business is about. Because this business is much broader than that."

So, in my opinion you was going to show something then didn't. Can you comment on this?

Phil: " We start our E3 plan in December and January, we start looking at assets and getting stuff together. But we've been pretty consistent on what our E3 plan was going to be all along. We haven't really changed that. Certain things start showing well and other things need more work, but in terms of our key messages at E3, Halo is going to be the biggest game. But no, our E3 plan has actually been pretty consistent from the beginning."

The world isn't quite ready for digital copies only. Right?

Phil: "I would say, and not just for PR reasons, that retail is very important to us. Retail distribution of games is going to be very important for years. When you go to a midwest town, there are still people where retail is still the way they buy , even music. There are millions of people who still buy DVDs. And they're going to buy [retail] games and they're going to buy consoles."

This was all mostly interviewed by Colin Campbell of IGN.