Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > User Submitted News
You last visited: Today at 05:21

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

A look on Games and Religon

Discussion on A look on Games and Religon within the User Submitted News forum part of the News & More category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,777
A look on Games and Religon

Is religion affecting games today?
Think about it, you start up the game.exe, or you pop a disk into you’re console. You are instently taken into a title screen (or usless adverts Q.Q) Once you began playing a game for the first time you try to find core information out about the game. Do I like the graphics? Do I like the gameplay? Do I like the online/PvP?

Then once you start playing on later you begen asking these question. Do I like my class? Do I like the story?
For a newbie player storyline is not always that big, but to a hardcore player who is on his 5-6 playthrough then you might actually start looking into this. When you start realy noticing a Game Storyline you only relay notice who is who, what is going on, and who’s name you need to know. Even experienced players who are die hard to the story don’t always take the view I do to a game.
I study religion for and, the moment I started looking into storylines (mainly RPGs) I noticed that these facts are straight!!! Now I am not saying that there was a huge dragon that once destroyed a castle and was killed off by a group of 4-8 people who were on some type of quest. But I will say there are legends and storys of a great beast that destroyed a city and was killed off by a hero/heroine.

Lets start with a well know game that is almost chocked full of “easter eggs” (I use quotes because to some this is heave influence). To start with The Tower of Babil refers to the biblical Tower of Babel built by a united humanity, with the intention of reaching the heavens, but oddly the tower in the game host the power of the moon. (which in many older religions the moon was considered heaven, even today it is a symbol for heaven or ultimate peace)
Now let us go on, Kain highwind’s name is obviously from Cain and Able (the bible story in which the first murder is commited) not only that but also his weapon is called Ables Lance. To end with my FF7 rant I also ask you to look at this, Jenova is very close Jehovah which is the name of the Christian/Hebrew God.

Now then I have taken a popular RPG and broken it down proven that it’s storyline is based on religion,, but I know there are some out there saying “that’s great if you are a RPG freak, but I love mez some FPS yayz gunz!” So now I will take apart one of the biggest FPS right now. Halo

Ok so let’s start off with The covenet. Now the story line mentions the prophets and The High Charity struggle a lot (which BTW did’nt prophets have a struggle in the bible with the rich to give High Charity?) Now I always took it that there was a influence behind this. Later I saw a post on Bungie.net from someone who thinks that this struggle refers too revelation 11:5-10, upon looking at it I noticed he was very accurate. 5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. 6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over the waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. 7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. 8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. 9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. 10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Finaly I will end this Halo rant with this, in the bible The ark was to save the world from The Great Flood, and in Halo The Ark was built to save the universe from The Flood…weird huh?

Now I will end this up with saying, maybe you might want to start looking into a video game that you just played. Maybe that “Epic storyline” actually is referring to you’re “epic religion”.

Thank you

-Bane
Old 02/27/2011, 09:15   #2

elite*gold: 3
Received Thanks: 1,335
Every game has a story line, on fantasy mmorpg it's good *** vs evil *** (the evil one is winning and you have to become the best that you can be to help the good one), in most sci-fi games it's about the same, only with nations/alien races.
You might be right about this, alot of games use religion in their storylines. In games like "Dantes Inferno", "*** of War" religion is not a hidden factor, these games need bad guys, and the fact that religion is a big thing - helps alot. Since it's alot more fun to take on The Minotaur or a giant cyclops rather then something made up, we have never seen such things, so that also awakens our curiosity.
But then again, you might be wrong. You're looking for similarities in plot and purpose when you should be looking at meanings.
An "ark" was used to save animals, that's true, but an ark is also a symbol of refuge and safety.
The Tower of Babil might be the symbol if greatness, or something impossible. The same thing can be done with names (i'm tired wtih religion, let's use something else) in Call of Duty there's a character "Roach", now I doubt that he's named after his ability to eat trash, but rather for his ability to survive certain situations.

My point - is religion is something that we all have in common, it might be different, but we all know at least a tiny bit of something about it, and that helps the game makers relate to us.

(and I kind of think that this is the wrong section to do this)
Old 02/27/2011, 17:43   #3

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConArtist View Post
Every game has a story line, on fantasy mmorpg it's good god vs evil god (the evil one is winning and you have to become the best that you can be to help the good one), in most sci-fi games it's about the same, only with nations/alien races.
You might be right about this, alot of games use religion in their storylines. In games like "Dantes Inferno", "God of War" religion is not a hidden factor, these games need bad guys, and the fact that religion is a big thing - helps alot. Since it's alot more fun to take on The Minotaur or a giant cyclops rather then something made up, we have never seen such things, so that also awakens our curiosity.
But then again, you might be wrong. You're looking for similarities in plot and purpose when you should be looking at meanings.
An "ark" was used to save animals, that's true, but an ark is also a symbol of refuge and safety.
The Tower of Babil might be the symbol if greatness, or something impossible. The same thing can be done with names (i'm tired wtih religion, let's use something else) in Call of Duty there's a character "Roach", now I doubt that he's named after his ability to eat trash, but rather for his ability to survive certain situations.

My point - is religion is something that we all have in common, it might be different, but we all know at least a tiny bit of something about it, and that helps the game makers relate to us.

(and I kind of think that this is the wrong section to do this)
As for you're first part that is very simaler to a pm i got, he said that they were just story's we all heard as kids and it was just put in by human nature.

But since none of us developed any of these games storyline all we can relay get is theory, but still it is very interesting to wonder if while they were making these games they wanted to put in hidden "divinch code" messages and see who would find them.

As for you're last i believe this is the right section, John.D has posted alot of things like this and since i am not a colomist i would have to post it in the user submitted news. If I am wrong someone please correct me.