Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Popular Games > Silkroad Online > SRO Coding Corner
You last visited: Today at 04:06

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Which language should I start with?

Discussion on Which language should I start with? within the SRO Coding Corner forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old 10/23/2010, 15:46   #16

elite*gold: 0
This is very difficult to answer because there are so many different reasons to select one language over another. Often the correct answer is that you should select a certain language because you have a compiler for that language, you have an immediate need to program something in that language, or you know someone that is an expert in that language and is available to help you work through the rough spots.

If you are entering programming as a career, you should note that the three most popular languages, according to newspaper want ads, are C++, Basic, and Java. These three languages are somewhat similar in construction and ability, but the differences are marked enough that they each require a different mindset to use successfully. Any of these would suffice for general programming, but either C++ or Java should be selected for a large program. Note that, at Coronado Enterprises, we do not have a Java tutorial available.

Ada-95 is the Department of Defense sponsored language (however, it is now a publicly owned language) that features a great deal of compiler help to isolate and fix errors resulting in higher quality software. There is considerably less demand for Ada programmers in today's commercial and defense markets than for those languages already mentioned. Ada-83 is considered obsolete, but is still being used in some legacy systems.

Pascal is the only other language considered in this web site. Even though it is an excellent language, it did not develop in the marketplace as well as other languages, so is not nearly as sought after for software development. It is, however, still used for significant software development in some software companies and would be a great choice as a first language to study.

Basic is in heavy use in many industries, but we do not have a tutorial for Basic, so we have little to say about it. Assembly language is rarely needed any longer since optimizing compilers often provide smaller and faster code than hand crafted assembly. Occasionally, a very specialized program must be coded in assembly language but that is very rare anymore.

There are many other languages, but because we have little or no experience with them, we cannot recommend their use. The interested student is instructed to search elsewhere for good information on any other languages.

Actually, it matters very little which language you start with because a good programmer should know several languages. If your first choice does not meet the immediate need, it is relatively easy to learn another language because of your experience gained with the initial choice. Each new language is easier to learn than the last.
Old 10/23/2010, 17:03   #17

Received Thanks: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaemulator View Post

If you are entering programming as a career, you should note that the three most popular languages, according to newspaper want ads, are C++, Basic, and Java. These three languages are somewhat similar in construction and ability, but the differences are marked enough that they each require a different mindset to use successfully. Any of these would suffice for general programming, but either C++ or Java should be selected for a large program. Note that, at Coronado Enterprises, we do not have a Java tutorial available.

Please provide the source next time: .
Thanks
1 User
Old 10/23/2010, 17:24   #18

lesderid sorry there xD i didnt know that php has console.
Old 10/23/2010, 18:02   #19

Received Thanks: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpegas1234 View Post
lesderid sorry there xD i didnt know that php has console.
You can't know everything. :P