Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 17:07

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Info]Before makeing a server

Discussion on [Info]Before makeing a server within the Shaiya PServer Development forum part of the Shaiya Private Server category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,777
[Info]Before makeing a server

First off i just want everyone to know, this will most likely be my last guide. For my own reasons i will be "retireing from this section". I will still be around but only because I am LPH's Guardian and to help with moderation, I won't be answering questions and releasing guides anymore....

Alright so let's get started this guide is something that you should read BEFORE you ever even consider making a server. I got the ideal for this "guide" from the CO2 section (where I am at now).

=====================GuidePart========================

1) Do you know what a MMSQL server looks like? Do you know how to mange one? And can you make simple quires to do jobs faster then by hand?

2) Do you have a basic knowledge of PHP and MMSQL website coding? A owner who does'nt might be a easy target for SQL injection.

3) Do you know what SQL injection is, and what it does.

4) Do you have the time to run a server?

5) Can you deliver EVERYTHING that you promise you're players? (This means on the server description, if you say you have custom gear, experienced staff, and loads of events, you best deliver on it.)

6) Can you solve simple problems on you're own are do you need someone to hold you're hand on everything?

7) Do you have the funds to run a server (it's not cheap)

8) Make sure that you have a good staff of PEOPLE YOU KNOW!!! this goes especiallyfor the people with SQL DB access, just because there a GM does not mean they need access.

9) Even if you know MMSQL please at least have a test server and learn about shaiya's DB for at least 2-3 months before you put a real one up.

10) you need to know how to use the search function.....this is not common knowledge so i have a mini guide for it.

First start your computer and let it load (NOTE your desktop won't look the same as mine as we all have diffrent backgrounds)

Next open your browser and go to

Then locate the two search bars.

the first one (on top) will search everything, we only want the shaiya section so click on the second one and pick advanced search

Next find the search bar and fill in your question (seting up a server)

Then pick shaiya in the options so it will know where to look

MOST INPORTENT you must hit search are it will NOT work.

11) Can you treat your players well? Will you be able to listen to their needs over your want for money? Are you able to deal with all the drama of the server(will help of a good staff of course)?

=======================End of Guide=========================

If you answered no to any of these YOU DO NOT NEED TO PUT YOU'RE SERVER UP!! no "well i can learn" or "well i don't realy need number (...)" You need all of them, and if you don't odds are you're server will fail....

Credits: InfamousNoone for the ideal.
Thanks
26 Users
Old 06/06/2011, 23:29   #2

Received Thanks: 1,066
i completely 100% agree with this. o.o
(you need spell check <3)
It's really annoying seeing all these "pvp fast, custom lapis, custom gear, lots of events!" servers that have "admins" who know nothing ><
Thanks
4 Users
Old 06/06/2011, 23:30   #3

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Really nice guide, too bad that ur retiring cause ive read almost all of ur guides and they have helped me a lot (even tho i have never put a public server...just some local servers for myself)

and i have to agree with u on everything (like as usual) cause there are a lot of pservers already, making one, and getting it to be good needs a lot of work and a really experienced dev + staff members

again ty for all ur contributions to the shaiya world and hope to see u posting again soon

<----because u deserve them and even more
Thanks
4 Users
Old 06/06/2011, 23:31   #4

Ty shadow, spell check ran and all errors are dead.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 06/07/2011, 09:25   #5

thanks bane needs to be Pinned
Thanks
2 Users
Old 06/12/2011, 16:30   #6

bump bump bump
Thanks
1 User
Old 06/15/2011, 00:59   #7

elite*gold: 260
a ringa ding ding ding dong a ringa dong ding ding ding a dinga ding ding dong
Thanks
4 Users
Old 06/20/2011, 18:20   #8

BUMPEY!
Thanks
3 Users
Old 06/21/2011, 21:33   #9

stuff was added.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 06/22/2011, 02:57   #10

LOL!!!!! "Guide to How to Search on EPvP for newbies" <----thats how u shouldve named the last part u added
Thanks
4 Users
Old 06/23/2011, 18:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHeatz View Post
LOL!!!!! "Guide to How to Search on EPvP for newbies" <----thats how u shouldve named the last part u added
Well lol I was tired of no one using it..it leads to spam threads..
Old 06/23/2011, 19:10   #12

Received Thanks: 1,066
You're missing one of the key parts to making a successful server O:
11) Can you treat your players well? Will you be able to listen to their needs over your want for money? Are you able to deal with all the drama of the server(will help of a good staff of course)?
Thanks
1 User
Old 06/23/2011, 19:15   #13

I aggre 100 % with you Bane ... all those Noob servers make me angry ...

PS : I like your Background
Old 06/23/2011, 21:49   #14

OMG!!!! shadow is 1000000% right on that, if u cant handle the drama, listen to the players, treat everyone with respect and leave ur ego on a side....dont be an admin....dont even try to be a GS on any server....
Thanks
1 User
Old 06/23/2011, 21:54   #15

# addead shadow

And ya Mr.Candy_man i love backtrack lol been using it since beta
Thanks
2 Users