Not a member yet? Register for your free account!

You last visited: Today at 12:08

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Updater

This is a discussion on Updater within the Shaiya Private Server forum part of the Shaiya category; Hey guys, im having trouble getting the updater running for my server, I was just wondering if someone could make ...

Old   #1

Updater

Hey guys, im having trouble getting the updater running for my server, I was just wondering if someone could make a tiny tutorial or give me a hand making it work thx
Old 01/13/2011, 17:38   #2

Shaden... all i can say is good luck. I've been barking up that tree for months now and I usually get laughed at or get rude answers back. I can get an updater that doesn't patch to work just fine. But to get one to patch... whole other story.
Old 01/13/2011, 17:40   #3
;O Moderator.

Received Thanks: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherDust View Post
Shaden... all i can say is good luck. I've been barking up that tree for months now and I usually get laughed at or get rude answers back. I can get an updater that doesn't patch to work just fine. But to get one to patch... whole other story.
You make us devs sound like jerks......
Old 01/13/2011, 18:22   #4
Lost Souls: Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GM]Bane View Post
You make us devs sound like jerks......
Unfortunately, Bane, it's been the correct track record with her experiences on this matter... Not all devs are jerks, and you all have been more than helpful with everything you've done and released for us lesser folks. I'll leave out details as the purpose of this thread isn't to stir up negative feelings, but instead to seek help for an issue.

I'm now currently working with her, trying to figure out this issue. I've made several updaters from scratch, following all available tutorials (yes, I ), and am at the same crossroad: As long as I don't need to patch, it works just fine. If I put in a patch and attempt to get it to do so, I get runtime errors out the ears.

To make the patches, I use Lilpro's "Shaiya Data File Tool", and have attempted to make my own patches manually. Both methods have failed. After asking another server engineer's opinion, I was told that it was something wrong in my updaters' HEX coding. Yet another one has told me that it was the way I have the files set up on the updater site.

After rechecking the tutorials, I cannot find anything wrong with the HEX coding or file setups themselves, and neither second opinion either found where my error truly was, nor showed me how to fix it in the event I needed to do this again (or for someone else whom has the same issue). So... I'm pretty much out of options as to what could be causing the error... Do any of you have any ideas?

Last edited by [GM]Zero; 01/13/2011 at 18:38. Reason: Please forgive any gruffness... I'm currently fighting a flu and mean no offense :(
Thanks
1 User
SrShaden (01/14/2011)
Old 01/13/2011, 18:42   #5
;O Moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [GM]Zero View Post
Unfortunately, Bane, it's been the correct track record with her experiences on this matter... Not all devs are jerks, and you all have been more than helpful with everything you've done and released for us lesser folks. I'll leave out details as the purpose of this thread isn't to stir up negative feelings, but instead to seek help for an issue.

I'm now currently working with her, trying to figure out this issue. I've made several updaters from scratch, following all available tutorials (yes, I ), and am at the same crossroad: As long as I don't need to patch, it works just fine. If I put in a patch and attempt to get it to do so, I get runtime errors out the ears.

To make the patches, I use Lilpro's "Shaiya Data File Tool", and have attempted to make my own patches manually. Both methods have failed. After asking another server engineer's opinion, I was told that it was something wrong in my updaters' HEX coding. Yet another one has told me that it was the way I have the files set up on the updater site.

After rechecking the tutorials, I cannot find anything wrong with the HEX coding or file setups themselves, and neither second opinion either found where my error truly was, nor showed me how to fix it in the event I needed to do this again (or for someone else whom has the same issue). So... I'm pretty much out of options as to what could be causing the error... Do any of you have any ideas?
hmm not muh...when i had a test server i would try all those guides just to check...it worked fine for me...so idk what the probleme could be :s
Old 01/14/2011, 00:55   #6

I found a guide to modify the Hex of the updater, but when i was done editing I got the error "is not a valid win32" or whatever, so I'm probably doing everything wrong. I know Xtreme has a working Updater so I looked into it and im prety sure within the next 100 trial & errors i might be able to get the updater Hex correctly... I think, what I'm wondering is how to create a patch file and where to store it for the updater to retrieve... as you can see I don't really know how the updater works.

Anyways, I have a lot of respect for all Dev, I started here with only knowing how to run the EP3, and right now I'm running the EP5 with Skills stopping at 3 instead of 4 and all is perfect absolutly nothing wrong, no errors, no stuff not working properly, custom login screen, drops, rates, items, no exp in 1-15, 20-30, all maps working properly.
And all this is thx to help from Dev and ppl sharing tools. I don't care if I look newb, stupid or get a rude reply, know why? Because I'm helping others with what I know, and eventualy someone serious and mature will take the time to help others.

Now b4 I make my server official, what i need is to make sure to prevent exploits and hacks, witch is coming along and to get the updater working... I dont care how it updates, as long as i can update players files.

And Thx Zero for posting your experiences I'm going to look into that and play with the tool and try it out

Last edited by SrShaden; 01/14/2011 at 00:59.
Thanks
3 Users
Bаne (01/14/2011), ShaEros (01/24/2011), [GM]Zero (01/14/2011)
Old 01/14/2011, 01:22   #7
;O Moderator.

you're not a newb shade you're a dev.

a dev is'nt someone who is advanced as hell and knows PhP Sql and so on scripts.

Ad dev is someone who is willing to go to the no ends to fix the problme or in this case error and then share there fix with everyone else...

-Bane
Thanks
1 User
SrShaden (01/14/2011)
Old 01/14/2011, 19:49   #8

I posted a fix to this problem a long ago. Since then a lot of people posted useless garbage messages which pushed the topic it was in way deep in dead space.

I assume all of you know how the directory structure for updates look like, how the *.ini files should be configured and what the patch file names should be.

Runtime error occurs mostly when you use wrong compression method. At least that's what I got. It means the updater cannot handle the file and extract it. I suggest using 7zip to compress the update.sah and update.saf, using ZIP and DEFLATE compression method. If you still get the problem, upload the file to the server as ZIP and change the extension to *.patch after it's uploaded. For a reason unknown the ftp server used to screw the files up if their extension was *.patch.

EDIT:
Ok guys. I see you are going too deep in the whole updating thing. You don't really need to modify the updater. You only need to change www address with Hex editor so it knows where to look for updates. That's all. There are other links, but they are not that important (one points to registration page). Next step is to create a Shaiya directory on the server, and "patch" dir inside it. "patch" is where you should store all your patches. Shaiya is where the *.ini file should be. I don't remember what should be in the *.ini file or its name, but you should be able to find this information easily now.

Last edited by ProfNerwosol; 01/14/2011 at 19:59. Reason: Proofreading.
Thanks
2 Users
SrShaden (01/14/2011), [GM]Zero (01/14/2011)
Old 01/14/2011, 21:35   #9

well I don't know...I hope SrShaden and all the others have found a solution for their problems with the updater by now.
but for me not a single "solution" is working yet.
I'm really getting desperate here. I'm getting "cannot read file c.25"...all the time. I think I tried every single tool out there and checked the .ini files a hundred times or far far more.^^
but guess what...still no chance to get this damn thing working!

I can access all the files through the browser, can download them, I tried winrar, 7zip, different compression methods, different file formats, different addresses...before compressing the files I checked them with lilpros shaiya data tool (folder structure was right) and I renamed them after uploading etc. etc. etc...so maybe it's just a tiny little error I can't see anymore because of all the aggression that has been building up until now!

but I would really appreciate every hint for getting this thing done.
by the way I can't believe that such a damn little thing like the updater keeps fooling me while I had no problems editing all the other stuff I did already!
well...sometimes the tiny little things in life are the worst!
Old 01/15/2011, 00:18   #10

Well, so far I got the Updater connecting to my web page, now that's a tiny start ;p now I don't even know if I'm not even sure I compress or make patch files the right way nor if I am storing files in the right folder... but im doing one step at a time I got a few answers here if it helps http://www.elitepvpers.com/forum/shai...p-patches.html

Ok so now my Updater is working, but I get an error when it reaches the patch file... so my guess is im no patching right... Can anyone tell me how to fix this...Like I modified the skill.sdata, cash.sdata and some images, the ones that randomly loads and also the logo... so then what? Heres what i did... dont say im newb at least im trying ;p... I put them in Data folder of the Shaiya Tool and then selected file\Create Patch, named it 2 since my server version is 2... and when I loaded the updater the file patch003 appeared in my Game folder witch is good, it means its the right name but just not downloading Thx

Last edited by SrShaden; 01/15/2011 at 02:20. Reason: Progress Made ;p