Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 14:19

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Server Hosts

Discussion on Server Hosts within the Rappelz Private Server forum part of the Rappelz category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Cool [General Discussion] Server Hosts

Ok so I'm sure this has been discussed eons ago. But let's talk current.

What are the best Dedicated Server Hosts that people use?

Cheapest?

Etc?

Give us your opinion and lets compare notes.
Old 04/26/2013, 00:43   #2

Server4You is good
Old 04/26/2013, 01:04   #3

Let's explore this. As I have never heard of this one. It has two separate deals as far as dedicated servers go.

The first being Pro which seems to be the standard Dedicated server setups, but more towards the industrial strength side of thinking.

The second is this interesting one they call "Eco", which probably stands for Economic, or in other words low cost dedicated servers. Which seems to be of a more inexpensive design.

Assuming that a person were to use this service which package would you recommend for them to utilize to host a Rappelz private server, and why TheIxinoe?

Also is anyone familiar with the current minimum, recommended or both system requirements for a server, for hosting Rappelz 7.4 and 8.1?
Old 04/26/2013, 15:25   #4

Team Hyperion used server4you, and we had the Pro Ultrapower X6, but we also had multiple servers, and planned on hosting a 3rd server.

The major reason that serv4you says "power vs eco" is the fact that ALL power servers are 8 core. The eco servers will be fine for you.

The bare minimum is about 8gb ram per server you run, but I would strongly recommend going with 16gb if you plan on having more than 200+ people.

If you are looking for support, or are a newb, I don't recommend using server4you, as they have TERRIBLE customer service. If you know what you are doing, they are the best I have found.

TL;DR - If you want to run one server, use the Ecoserver Large, or Ecoserver Big. Enjoy.
Old 04/26/2013, 19:41   #5

pardon me, and feel free to flame, it doesnt bother me a bit; but why on earth are you even considering hosting on a **** quad core amd proc for 60$/month? long term thats 720$ a year (EDIT : i didnt see there is ALSO a 199 one time setup fee = 919$ for first 12 months ur server is live). you have paid for the cost of building that **** machine in like 7 months. surely with all the software gurus here SOMEONE has put together that a host machine is cheap, and you can spend the monthly income from server on ur net connection (which you now get to enjoy as well) not to mention you now have 100% control over the machine forever. when ur lease is up on a host machine, you are left with software...

With all the whack-a-mole pservers popping up, why isnt someone committing?

TL;DR = why pay for hosting when you can build urself?
Old 04/26/2013, 20:30   #6

Received Thanks: 3,458
DF was hosted on Webtropia before changing to a private host.
If you aren't getting DDoS'ed, Webtropia is one of the best hoster out there (especially because of their support, they usually respond after 20 minutes).
Kinda cheap, great support and good hosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ckwr4th
TL;DR = why pay for hosting when you can build urself?
TL;DR: Why pay for an own server when your server goes down after a month?
Old 04/26/2013, 23:30   #7

i do not mean to "flame", this is my honest response:
if you are planning on your server going down in a month, why host at all??
there is either a logic or a sarcasm i must be missing.

at least with building ur own machine, if/when your rappelz pserver goes down, you still have a gaming pc / FaH rig / server for another game / a machine you can either continue upgrading or sell and try to recoup money.
Either way, for a community of people doing all this for themselves ( my apologies if one of you is a dev for Gala-labs) why on earth it hasnt occured to you to just build your own server(hardware) for the server(software) you are building?

i woudn't mind being a host for someones game, and i have a 12 core i7 @ 4.7 ghz watercooled.

60$ / month for an amd......
Old 04/26/2013, 23:33   #8

Well, most people don't expect that their server will be down in about a month, because they mostly don't know how to secure a server.

There are many people out which are trying to attack Rappelz-Server (DDoS, trying to get access to the root, etc). If you don't have experience in server-security & stuff there's no way you can survive longer than a month.
Old 04/26/2013, 23:55   #9

to which i MUST respond with, then why arent there more stickies on how to port forward, how to monitor your activity, how to make and keep a secure server?

it is freakin sweet how easy and helpful you guys are to get rappelz RUNNING for someone, but why (since server security, like setup of a pserver, is a cut and dry process) hasnt someone made like a "part 2" to setup. i dont mean to insinuate that this site has any intentions of supporting cyber crime, but to show people exactly how to load a gun then walk away seems abit ... irresponsible?
My apologies if this has been tried and noobery has caused you all to grow thick skin. i am new here.
Old 04/27/2013, 00:43   #10

Well, I personally would say that the most of us don't even know how to secure a server properly, including me.
Long time ago, I hosted the famoust PServer out there, called DarknessFight. We got hacked a few times, and I was able to close alot of those security holes. But still, it wasn't perfect, because I didn't have the experience about what people are going to do with such "little" projects or are able to do. Also Windows itself has security holes, so well..
Basically most of us just have some kind of superficial knowledge (hope this is the right word for it), so it's kinda useless to do a part 2 here.

I'm going to write a topic about what I've learned about security when DF was up, let's see if this helps out a bit. ;p Let's move there with that discussion then, since this is kinda Offtopic. ;p
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/27/2013, 00:51   #11

ty Xijezu (dat name ^^) and ur right i have derailed us abit, and i apologize. back on topic, i still suggest building rather than renting. i would even help / build online / help select and even help assemble a machine if someone wants to try that route : my pm box will be open.
Old 04/27/2013, 01:07   #12

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you j4ckwr4th. In the long run it is a much better habit to build a server and host yourself rather than use a hosting service.

I believe the main reason why most people choose an actual server host over their own server, not only the issue of network security, but also, as you stated, legal security. There are many nations with companies that host private dedicated servers and are "outside" the realm of copyright. Because of this it is easier and safer for many to use a host within one of those nations, or at least outside of their own nation. Or so they believe. In reality that's a total farce.

But yes, the major issue being network security. And unless you know professional network administrators like I do, not many have a resource to draw information on how to lock down a server properly, to prevent hacking. I myself have had to build Anti-Hacking software on specific p-servers because of this.

Ultimately I should really just design a system locker that when being hacked fries their motherboard..... but that might be overdoing it..... lmao.
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/27/2013, 01:27   #13

well if it means anything, i also have an old dual core (core2duo, don't ask me which one i dun remember) that i wouldn't mind setting back up and the only thing on its hdd would be someones files, i wouldn't even install windows in case you wanted linux. so long as whatever security minded changes you develop make there way back here somehow for everyone else. that said, and forgive my noobery, how do you handle something like your DB getting hacked and deleted if you have a host? contact them and reupload, then ask them to detect the hack and try and sort it out themselves?
Old 04/27/2013, 01:34   #14

Lol, that's how it's been done in the past apparently....
Old 04/27/2013, 15:32   #15

I never suggest hosting your server from your own connection mostly due to the amount of people who don't realize that they can't host a server on their 5mbps speeds. And of course you know they will try, just like people try to run Hamachi servers.

Hosting isn't a bad option, and of COURSE building your own server is usually the better idea, but that wasn't what the OP was asking. The OP was asking about server hosts.