Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 18:40

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Prevent servers spammers

Discussion on Prevent servers spammers within the SRO Private Server forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Prevent servers spammers

Now, we have a punch of servers been released everyday, I just read @ thread and i'm so agree, a solution could be:
  • Thread creation isn't free anymore.
  • You have a thread creation limit yearly (only at sro advertising section).
  • Closing the server for unreasonable reason, gives you a thread creation block for 3 months, unless you refund all donation money.
  • Threads with no comments for the past 28 days, will be automatically deleted to prevent spammers.
  • more ideas are welcome....
Old 03/08/2017, 05:34   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kol4u View Post

Closing the server for unreasonable reason, gives you a thread creation block for 3 months, unless you refund all donation money.
How would you enforce this?

I mean, how would one be able to check if all the donations were refunded?
Old 03/08/2017, 12:29   #3

elite*gold: 125
Received Thanks: 4,351
It's funny considering your server was technically one of those people didn't want to see in the section.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/08/2017, 13:10   #4

Enforcing a refund is possible... IF you are a legitimate company, being registered and also running a legit business with references (being transparent).

This completely is a waste of time, since we all are illegit bastards xP

On other mentions, you should take the part in mind where people are able recreating accounts and resetting their IPs (which also makes them able bypassing regular and simple forum bans).
Old 03/08/2017, 13:32   #5

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 3,766
1) 3) 4) and 5) are impossible and won't be endorsed by the elitepvpers admins.

2) on the other hand is a nice idea and I know that the developers at epvp are capable of doing this. Maybe having yearly "thread creation" coins for advertisement section thread creation? idk
Old 03/08/2017, 14:14   #6

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 3,239
2) It's a bit similar to and honestly it's not a bad idea but definitely not yearly.
The only downside about this part is kinda tricky, we will encourage them with the multi-accounts or maybe an easier solution they will ask one of their team members (project) to submit the said thread.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/09/2017, 22:12   #7

What about a community-driven upvote/downvote for users in a general thread (akin to +rep or -rep). I wouldn't mind creating a simple software in a secured database running that, where people could query it for the most upvoted developers ,etc.

I think that would be the way to go, so people would recognize the best developers who own the best servers and actually do have an idea about what they are doing.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 03/09/2017, 23:37   #8

elite*gold: 28
Received Thanks: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeshiVongola View Post
What about a community-driven upvote/downvote for users in a general thread (akin to +rep or -rep). I wouldn't mind creating a simple software in a secured database running that, where people could query it for the most upvoted developers ,etc.

I think that would be the way to go, so people would recognize the best developers who own the best servers and actually do have an idea about what they are doing.
Yup. I'd do a script that people could use at their browsers that would slightly change how the section looks(filter it, rate, upvote, etc) but you will have to think of a way to let everyone use it (will be quite a challenge).
Old 03/10/2017, 00:10   #9

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 3,239
Quote:

How can you refrain someone from abusing it ? for example the thread star rating is being heavily abused on the sro section.
Honestly, it's not a bad idea
Old 03/10/2017, 00:18   #10

One of the ways I can see it working is having a minimum number of posts/contributions to the community, that are rated by mods/other good developers.

I think the only way for this community to improve is to gather the good developers under the same hood and have them 'compete' between them, exploring different aspects of the game, since everyone has a different taste.

In terms of abuse, It's pretty easy, each user has 1 +rep or 1 -rep per user, which means that, with the needed restrictions, it would be quite effective in building a community-driven filter.

For example, when I used to play Soldier Front (an ijji fps game), the clans would organize themselves and the way to tier the clans would be for each clan to vote +rep or -rep other clans based on performance/clan wars.

We could apply something akin to that to the advertising section.
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/10/2017, 18:14   #11

Quote:
One of the ways I can see it working is having a minimum number of posts/contributions to the community, that are rated by mods/other good developers.

I think the only way for this community to improve is to gather the good developers under the same hood and have them 'compete' between them, exploring different aspects of the game, since everyone has a different taste.

In terms of abuse, It's pretty easy, each user has 1 +rep or 1 -rep per user, which means that, with the needed restrictions, it would be quite effective in building a community-driven filter.

For example, when I used to play Soldier Front (an ijji fps game), the clans would organize themselves and the way to tier the clans would be for each clan to vote +rep or -rep other clans based on performance/clan wars.

When you mention, I remembered 'stackoverflow'. Not all features but just necessary ones; reputation, badges, etc.. Even (if there is a time-limit) when a server owner closes the game too early, it will give him -rep or point etc. if it stays long term +rep or point etc.. Maybe even there could be multi long term time limit levels. If the server reaches there, it will give more rep or points.

I think it will help so much.
Old 03/10/2017, 18:43   #12

Quote:

While I like the idea, I don't think this will work in the silkroad scene. This will mean 1 group will be deciding every server that will see the advertising section.

For example me and my union all have epvp account, we don't like a thread? We are worth -120 downvotes. Which means this thread will mostlikely not see daylight, which is a bad thing.
Old 03/10/2017, 19:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawNL View Post
While I like the idea, I don't think this will work in the silkroad scene. This will mean 1 group will be deciding every server that will see the advertising section.

For example me and my union all have epvp account, we don't like a thread? We are worth -120 downvotes. Which means this thread will mostlikely not see daylight, which is a bad thing.
I did indicate some counter-measures that were at the start of my post.

The developer community should be the ones deciding, because they are the ones who actually know what they are doing.
Old 03/10/2017, 19:37   #14

elite*gold: 28
Received Thanks: 2,649
Quote:

The developer community should be the ones deciding, because they are the ones who actually know what they are doing.
I was discussing this with @ and @ on discord this morning. The thing is, there's no perfection. Can it be abused. Of course! The community is what decides how it wants to work. If rhe majority are abusers then sadly, we are all wasting our time. There's no hope if only 1% are working to handle the rest of the community.

I'd focus more on how we will add the servers to a list. Even if there will be ratings, the servers that will appear there should be filtered by some chosen members so they can make sure the server is worth being there. This includes very high standards and proof of worth.

Secondly, I'd focus on spreading the extension/script so everyone can know it exists and slowly ditch the default section.
Old 03/10/2017, 20:38   #15

Quote:

The problem is however that most of the developers have zero to no clue about the actual game these days, and they take suggestions from players to build a proper server. So I don't think that's a good solution.