Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 23:12

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Where do I start?

Discussion on Where do I start? within the Private Server forum part of the General Gaming Discussion category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Where do I start?

Hello!..

Firstly, I just want to state, I am by no means asking anyone to do any work for me

I have some knowledge of programming languages and communications over a network, I made my own MSN Messenger client about 5 years ago.. fantastic, I know.. no it's not really but I just wanna let ya's know I'm not a complete doofus when it comes to PC's and network communication..

Look. I love Angels Online. Unfortunately, not many other people who love Angels Online know much about computers.. I speak to my fellow gamers sometimes and get the impression that their computer knowledge ends at logging onto the game.

I would love to make a private server, or at least aid in the development of one overall. I just.. I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I saw someone posted about 6 months ago that they had learnt how to edit to client to connect to a different IP, but to me I think that's a small step in a much broader picture.

So really, I want to know what the broader picture is. Nothing specific, just generally, because after some Googling I cannot really find any information on how one would go about creating a private server.

Is it possible I just do not have the know-how to even attempt this?

I understand that this would be a very large project; however I am recently unemployed and am a student so I do have ample free time.

Would an emulator need to be created?

A program that.. receives and holds connections, and communicates appropriately with those connections.. which means everything that happens in the game would need to be 'emulated' so that the server responded to the client in such a way that the client would know wtf is going on?

Things like..

Walking..
Attacking an enemy..
Taking damage..
Walking through a map..
Opening the bank..
Deleting an item..
Purchasing an item from an NPC..
Use a skill
.. like.. ALL OF IT? EVERYTHING that you do.. has to be included in the emulator so that the client and server agree with what is happening?

Well.

Any response at all would just be appreciated endlessly, a bump in the right direction, or a warning to not bother..

Many thanks.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/06/2011, 13:47   #2

elite*gold: 0
check my post
video for proof of my basic ps