Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Off-Topics > Off Topic
You last visited: Today at 16:51

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

OSX yosemite open beta now!

Discussion on OSX yosemite open beta now! within the Off Topic forum part of the Off-Topics category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
OSX yosemite open beta now!

So Apple just released the Open beta of OSX yosemite.

Good news! OS X Yosemite Beta is now ready for you to test-drive. Remember, this is beta software, so please carefully review the guidelines before you decide to install this pre‑release version of OS X.

What do you guys think about it?

Do you guys feels any performance increase? or what do u think about the new dock style and dark mode?
Old 07/25/2014, 20:33   #2

elite*gold: 3
Do you already use it on your Apple device?
If yes,could you give me a small review about it ?
Old 07/25/2014, 22:40   #3

Well yes im using it right now, just installed it 2 hours ago. Yay!

To be frank i haven't really seen much difference, only that they are going for a more vibrant and "clean" style. Also being a beta its missing a few things like the new Iphoto/Photoshop Hybrid.

As for gaming performance,i have the Intel hd5000 and i only play WoW at the moment but it feels like i got a small FPS improvement (2-5and up to 10FPS in some areas. Anything changed with OpenGL? or maybe its just me).

EDIT:Apparently its not just me:

Will try to update post when i get deeper into Yosemite :P

Something i just stumbled across randomly:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 5000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

It seems that they upped the amount of RAM the iGPU can access by an additional 512mb. Is this the reason for my slight performance gain? Ive been roaming around the web checking on this and haven't really found a clear answer... some say yosemite has worse FPS and some report up to 30% performance gain (1gb to 1.5gb hmmm sounds logical on paper ).
Old 07/27/2014, 01:49   #4

elite*gold: 1091
Received Thanks: 7,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcadia View Post
It seems that they upped the amount of RAM the iGPU can access by an additional 512mb. Is this the reason for my slight performance gain? Ive been roaming around the web checking on this and haven't really found a clear answer... some say yosemite has worse FPS and some report up to 30% performance gain (1gb to 1.5gb hmmm sounds logical on paper ).
I don't think so, more VRAM actually doesn't mean more performance. It's just like that the textures, buffers, vectors, shaders and other graphic related stuff are stored within the VRAM. It's actually nothing else than a RAM for the GPU. However, 1 GB should be good to go when using a notebook and playing games. 1,5 GB is in my opinion not necessary at all if you don't excessively work with graphics or want to play the newest games on high end settings

Anyways, I can't remember WoW being so heavy at performance when it comes to VRAM.
Old 07/27/2014, 03:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcadia View Post
Well yes im using it right now, just installed it 2 hours ago. Yay!

To be frank i haven't really seen much difference, only that they are going for a more vibrant and "clean" style. Also being a beta its missing a few things like the new Iphoto/Photoshop Hybrid.

As for gaming performance,i have the Intel hd5000 and i only play WoW at the moment but it feels like i got a small FPS improvement (2-5and up to 10FPS in some areas. Anything changed with OpenGL? or maybe its just me).

EDIT:Apparently its not just me:

Will try to update post when i get deeper into Yosemite :P
thanks for the review man !
sounds like how the new iOS 8 is going to be,a cleaner style with not that much improvements or rather small updates
Old 07/27/2014, 04:11   #6

elite*gold: 104
Hmm I want to order me a macbook..
Old 07/27/2014, 04:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatam View Post
Hmm I want to order me a macbook..
the Macbook is still awesome and the system software is great even though their updates aren't that,what we are expecting

but the macbook got a pretty nice design,good hardware components and its software is pretty solid

its great for music artists or if you record movies
Old 07/27/2014, 12:29   #8

Yeah supposedly most performance updates were with mavericks, now with yosemite its more a cleaning and unifying move.
Old 07/27/2014, 22:33   #9

The Black Market: 227/0/0
On which Apple device have got Yosemite?
I don't know if I should update my laptop.
After I installed Mavericks I felt a small decrease in performance. (Macbook Pro Mid 2012 - 2,9 GHz i7 Dual Core, 8GB RAM & Intel 4000 Graphics)
Old 07/29/2014, 04:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNVALID0vna View Post
On which Apple device have got Yosemite?
I don't know if I should update my laptop.
After I installed Mavericks I felt a small decrease in performance. (Macbook Pro Mid 2012 - 2,9 GHz i7 Dual Core, 8GB RAM & Intel 4000 Graphics)
Im using a Macbook air mid 2013 model i5 4gb 128gb sad intel hd 5000.

Don't really know about mavericks performance decrease as i installed mavericks the moment i got my laptop but i can surely feel a minor to mediocre performance boost using my intel hd 5000.

If you are still interested in trying out yosemite, i suggest you create a partition for testing purposes as it still may be unstable and the support priorities fixing bugs for newer hardware first.