Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Other Online Games > Need for Speed World
You last visited: Today at 16:48

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Custom installer for NFSW Offline

Discussion on Custom installer for NFSW Offline within the Need for Speed World forum part of the Other Online Games category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Custom installer for NFSW Offline

Since a lot of people are complaining about issues with installing everything, it would be nice to have a simple setup.exe which would do the job. I don't know if such a project is already being taken care of, but if it isn't, then let's do it.

I've created custom setup.exe files at least a decade ago and know many things are possible with it. But since that was a decade ago I'm a bit rusty now and doing a google search offers a big variety of setup generators. Does anybody know of a good one to use? Suggestions are welcome.

I think the setup.exe should do the following things:

-autodownload latest java installer and do a quiet install for it.
-autodownload the python installer and setup mitmproxy as well
-autodownload latest server version and create desktop shortcut for it
-find nfsw.exe by itself so people don't have to enable hidden foldes stuff etc
-have a screen with checkboxes for people to download and install the extra stuff
-auto import driver profile and cars from an exceed backup folder
-and a launch the server checkbox in the end

The setup program should be able to log mistakes and system info to make it easier for further analysis. Perhaps a simple xml configuration file should be along it for easy adding of new stuff without needing to build a new setup.exe every time.

If somebody is already working on something like this, or made a working setup.exe already, then please share. I'd be able to do it as well sooner or later when I find some time and proper tools for it. Please contribute!
Thanks
4 Users
Old 07/21/2015, 22:28   #2

That is not bad idea, but, i would suggest few corrections.

We don't know direction of the server development, it might happen that some dependencies would be unnecessary, it might also happen that there would be new ones. It might also happen that server comes with built in python and other dependencies, so, none of that would be needed. I think it is too early for that.

However, if it is done:

Installer should have all dependencies archived = should not download anything, reason is, since this project will be abandoned at some point, you should have working installer without game data (or even with game data) that will work in future (eg. changed links, changed versions of dependencies resulting broken compatibility etc.).
Old 07/21/2015, 22:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leipero View Post
That is not bad idea, but, i would suggest few corrections.

We don't know direction of the server development, it might happen that some dependencies would be unnecessary, it might also happen that there would be new ones. It might also happen that server comes with built in python and other dependencies, so, none of that would be needed. I think it is too early for that.

However, if it is done:

Installer should have all dependencies archived = should not download anything, reason is, since this project will be abandoned at some point, you should have working installer without game data (or even with game data) that will work in future (eg. changed links, changed versions of dependencies resulting broken compatibility etc.).
I'm not sure if anybody would like to get an antique version of java installed on their system in a few years. It would be auto updated by itself anyway after installation in that case. So why put an ancient java installer kit of +- 40Mb into a setup which could be just a few mb?

Anyway, good point - some things might change in future and are being taken care of once the server is out of beta. Thus this should be a simple non time consuming project just to make it easy for all those who are having troubles typing some commands in a shell at the moment and to get rid of all those useless posts
Old 07/21/2015, 22:53   #4

Russian users needs to rename user name in Windows to english letters only;
Some users needs pre-installed mitmproxy to install (lol)
And other strange uncovered stuff
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/21/2015, 22:56   #5

Great. Programmers like that sort of stuff, you know?
Old 07/22/2015, 05:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oelie View Post
I'm not sure if anybody would like to get an antique version of java installed on their system in a few years. It would be auto updated by itself anyway after installation in that case. So why put an ancient java installer kit of +- 40Mb into a setup which could be just a few mb?

Anyway, good point - some things might change in future and are being taken care of once the server is out of beta. Thus this should be a simple non time consuming project just to make it easy for all those who are having troubles typing some commands in a shell at the moment and to get rid of all those useless posts
The reason why someone might need ancient version of java or any other software could be potential broken compatibility, for example, if there is known incompatibility issue with newer versions, users can be instructed to disable any automatic update for specific software in readme file or via installation, or it could be done automatically.

But, yes, on the other hand, once project is abandoned, some people will make custom installers with compatible software built in, so you are right from that point. However, I still think, if any of those installers are to be created, they should be independent of internet connection (or at least one version of it), especially for potential compatibility issues.

But i hear you, user who can't follow instructions for installation, is unlikely to know all auto-update removal etc. .
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/22/2015, 11:14   #7

So, does anybody have a good suggestion for a preferably freeware tool to make a nice setup just for the time being?
Old 07/22/2015, 14:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oelie View Post
So, does anybody have a good suggestion for a preferably freeware tool to make a nice setup just for the time being?
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullso...Install_System

we trying to remove dependency...

- python (to mitmproxy and xmpphost)
- mitmproxy (to fix the heartbeat freeze at 60sec gameplay)
- .net for launchers server editors etc.

xmpphost is just for the powerups (thinking offline mode).
mitmproxy is just to fix the heartbeat request from nfsw.exe

solutions for offline:
- crack the nfsw.exe removing the heartbeat request (no more mitmproxy running) or implement something inside jetty sockets to handle the RST TCP packet form heartbeat.
- implement xmpphost inside java, no more python, or... just play without powerups.
- implement launcher inside java.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 07/22/2015, 14:59   #9

elite*gold: 15
Received Thanks: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilzao View Post
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullso...Install_System

we trying to remove dependency...

- python (to mitmproxy and xmpphost)
- mitmproxy (to fix the heartbeat freeze at 60sec gameplay)
- .net for launchers server editors etc.

xmpphost is just for the powerups (thinking offline mode).
mitmproxy is just to fix the heartbeat request from nfsw.exe

solutions for offline:
- crack the nfsw.exe removing the heartbeat request (no more mitmproxy running) or implement something inside jetty sockets to handle the RST TCP packet form heartbeat.
- implement xmpphost inside java, no more python, or... just play without powerups.
- implement launcher inside java.
I'm doing launcher in java merged into the server, I'm almost done removing heartbeat from the game. Nilzao already started on merging xmpp into nfsw-srv.

It's still in beta so I think it's too early for an installer. Open github or bitbucket if you really want tho, I'll help. Use C or Delphi for the installer, they don't require frameworks.
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/22/2015, 15:57   #10

It sounds like important changes will be there soon, so I guess it's a waste of time to build a temporary setup which handles the current installation requirements. If somebody can code it this afternoon, that's fine - but I'm not going to spend a few days in it for now