Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Other Online Games > Minecraft > Minecraft Guides & Strategies
You last visited: Today at 15:56

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

MineOS - The simpliest way to setup MC Servers! [Video Tutorial]

Discussion on MineOS - The simpliest way to setup MC Servers! [Video Tutorial] within the Minecraft Guides & Strategies forum part of the Minecraft category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Lightbulb MineOS - The simpliest way to setup MC Servers! [Video Tutorial]

Credits goes to hexparrot from MinecraftForums.
--------------------------------------------
To help simplify the process (even more!) of setting up and hosting Minecraft worlds, I have created MineOS!

MineOS is a Linux distribution designed for the sole purpose of hosting Minecraft worlds. It comes complete with web-admin interface, SSH interaction, and FTP capability for world backup and easy plugin maintenance. I have scripted and automated every single step to host Minecraft in a virtualized or cd/flashdrive bootable environment, and even the use of ramdisks.

Based off tinycorelinux, all these services before starting the world weigh in only a 30MB memory footprint. It has a web-admin interface which is pure server/hey0mod toggle-able at the click of a button! This server virtualizes Linux but requires absolutely no previous experience to get one up and running.

Tacking on top of this, I use a more efficient, advanced backup method (rsync) instead of the standard archiving backup, which is wasteful and infrequent (usually daily backups).

This all comes in the form of a single 60 megabyte bootable ISO, complete with screenshots of every single step start to finish.

MineOS homepage and download link is:

Mine OS has been updated December 31, 2010, making MineOS a full install-to-HD distribution. Took a few days of fighting with bootloaders and making it stick, but it's all set now! Grab this ISO now, which should be the last ISO ever needing updating (since updating itself is now a built-in feature)

I have created a bugtracker to better filter through and respond to your requests, and most importantly, get information from you to diagnose your problems. The bugtracker is available at . Hopefully this will speed up turnaround time on fixes as well as be a far better way to recognize and use other people's solutions

I have updated MineOS (3rd ISO release) January 4, 2011, to include numerous updates, such as the use of EXT4 filesystem, c10t mapping support built in, as well as numerous other installation improvements. Theres a tutorial for updating on the tutorials page or a new iso for first time users.

I have updated MineOS (4th ISO release) January 16, 2011. Taking into account about 3 weeks of feature requests and bug fixes, it may not be updated on top of an existing installation. Luckily, I have built THIS release with enough forethought that there will never ever be a need to upgrade from CD again (promise). The changes are listed at:

The web-based interface is 100% custom and can even be applied to existing Minecraft server setups (without using the distro). Some screenshots of the simplistic interface:

Examples of detailed setup-guide:

Video Tutorial

FAQ

"I just want a simple, unmodded Minecraft server!!"

If all you want is a simple minecraft setup, no speed optimizations, no interface, no backup... you can. Whether you're Windows or Linux, you can get the files and instructions from directly. This might just complicate your life if you're not looking for much else than some file that hosts a world.
"I'm using Windows/Linux. I play on the machine I want to host a server with."

This is not an ideal setup. Servers are meant to serve, desktops are meant to play. There's a lot of bloat in OSes that make this setup quite slow, though easy to configure. If this is your situation, you should also just get the files and instructions from .
"I have a Windows/Linux server machine. It's meant to do more than just Minecraft."

Perfect. Using your Win/Lin server, download the virtualization (Virtual Machine) software of your choice and follow the steps outlined on the home page--all the parts 1 through 3. This, along with unrestricting the port on your firewall should be all you need to get working. Though all other virtualization software should work (Virtual PC, Virtual Server, VNC, KVM), I highly recommend Virtualbox, since it's what I use to test MineOS primarily and will always ensure updated helpdocs. You can then follow the Virtualbox on Windows/Linux tutorial to get it up and running.
"I have a Linux server machine. If all it does is serve Minecraft, I'm happy."

I'm assuming this means you have an old machine lying around or you're building one for no other purpose than Minecraft. This is a great way to use hardware lying around gathering dust, since Linux and MineOS are terrific at tapping the most out of old hardware and new.

Burn a CD and have your computer boot directly from the CD with the MineOS as Host OS tutorial. These steps walk you through formatting/partitioning your hard drive and installing MineOS to the hard drive. When through, The disk will never again be necessary and the server will run quite speedily.
"I have a Win/Linux server machine. I want to push the limit and run from RAMDISK."

This is an advanced setup that would assume knowledge of SSH and Linux, or at least the confidence to follow the tutorial to the letter! Follow this tutorial to run MineOS with RAMDISK-based worlds.

---------------------
If it helped you click the button.
Thanks
4 Users
Old 01/17/2011, 20:42   #2
harder, better, faster

elite*gold: 18
The Black Market: 190/0/0
Nice *___*

I will Try this Mod but is this Server for Beta 1.2_01?
Old 01/17/2011, 20:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker™ View Post
Nice *___*

I will Try this Mod but is this Server for Beta 1.2_01?
Glad you liked it. It should be yeah, also I'll post updates in this thread an re-edit and add stuff to it time by time as there are some useful tutorials you guys may like.
Old 01/17/2011, 21:20   #4

elite*gold: 43
VERY! nice.
i love it *_*

i think i'll put it in my linux root if it runs
Old 01/17/2011, 21:23   #5

i Love you!!!
Old 01/17/2011, 21:28   #6

I'm glad you guys like it, also I'll add some sentences to the main post on how-to install it on a linux machine if you had problems.
Old 01/17/2011, 21:28   #7

Omg this looks very nice !
I'll try it tomorrow
Old 01/17/2011, 21:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by °Beezle, View Post
Omg this looks very nice !
I'll try it tomorrow
I'm glad you liked it.

Update: I've updated my first post and added a FAQ there. You can read it as it's pretty informative.
Old 01/17/2011, 21:38   #9
harder, better, faster

I can't get the Website also the Localhost Site :O
Other Ways to see them?
Old 01/17/2011, 21:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker™ View Post
I can't get the Website also the Localhost Site :O
Other Ways to see them?
What do you mean extacly? The MineOS website?
Old 01/17/2011, 21:43   #11
harder, better, faster

No the Local website.. the Interface of the Server :/
I've tried Localhost, 127.0.0.1, and my Normally IP...
Old 01/17/2011, 21:53   #12

Did you followed the guide correctly(the video guide)? It should be ok, but let me do it and see if I'll face the same problem as you do, also I'm going to sleep soon so I'll post my feedback to you tomorrow.
Old 01/18/2011, 15:01   #13

Bumping this up for more interested ePvp members.
Old 01/18/2011, 16:47   #14

elite*gold: 43
an i get so the interface from another computer? ;O
Old 01/18/2011, 16:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by !NOTFALL! View Post
an i get so the interface from another computer? ;O
Sorry, I didn't got your point.