Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Last Chaos
You last visited: Today at 09:26

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Episode 1 Emulator Project

Discussion on Episode 1 Emulator Project within the Last Chaos forum part of the MMORPGs category.

View Poll Results: What Do You Think About An Episode 1 Emulator?
Yes, we could use one. 42 65.63%
No, I like newer episodes. 22 34.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01/30/2015, 10:07   #31

elite*gold: 388
The Black Market: 214/0/0
Received Thanks: 6,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by diblos View Post
Yea, thats the biggest issue. Im sure that the EP1 players are out there and willing to play, the question is where to find them. I think we should spread the thread out to let other old school LC players know, so they can join and help the project. EP1 with maybe some EP2 features is the way to go.
Just like the old Eternia Server with the Reborn System - a reboot would be so epic.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/30/2015, 17:02   #32

elite*gold: 0
So PizzaGuy, are u still into the project? Flower, can we arrange more ppl?
Old 01/30/2015, 19:46   #33

Quote:
Yea, thats the biggest issue. Im sure that the EP1 players are out there and willing to play, the question is where to find them. I think we should spread the thread out to let other old school LC players know, so they can join and help the project. EP1 with maybe some EP2 features is the way to go.
I think a straight EP1 server with semi official rates would be the best platform to restore LC back to what it once was.
Quote:
So PizzaGuy, are u still into the project? Flower, can we arrange more ppl?
It's an idea/project. I don't work on it too much. I spent some time building the login server the other day but I need to wait until Windows 10 hits its consumer preview stages because building such a project on Linux is unfeasible with a Windows only client.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/30/2015, 23:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaGuy View Post
I think a straight EP1 server with semi official rates would be the best platform to restore LC back to what it once was.
Probably yes, for me personally pre Eghea EP1 LC was so much fun, multiple mobs to lvl on, every map seemed alive. Eghea was also very good (Bogles, boucu demons and ghost parties. Tower was also v.nice) but releasing it at the start of EP1 serv will result in one map exp only, ppl most likely will lvl only there, and dratan and merac will be empty again. Merac parties was also very fun (giant larvas, dread garden, swamps). Think its best to set lvl cap to 50 at the start, so we will have multiple places to go to. And after add Eghea. Rates can be modified to some extent, not too much tho. SP farm should be lil bit easier, not too easy ofc.

Edit: I think it would be best to set up EP1 serv on EP2 or EP3 files, with locked content (lets say 90lvl max at the start) so the updates can be added later, everyone will be happy. Old players will enjoy old EP1 style and play, and the EP2 players and up will have a chance to know what LC was about, future updates can be discussed with the players in that time, and ofc there is room for updates that even old school LC players will like, it jst have to be done with brain.
Old 02/14/2015, 11:39   #35

bump, and sry for double post
Old 02/14/2015, 12:23   #36

elite*gold: 2470
Received Thanks: 5,444
Bumping is only allowed in TBM section, please don't do that here.
Old 02/15/2015, 10:11   #37

Quote:
Probably yes, for me personally pre Eghea EP1 LC was so much fun, multiple mobs to lvl on, every map seemed alive. Eghea was also very good (Bogles, boucu demons and ghost parties. Tower was also v.nice) but releasing it at the start of EP1 serv will result in one map exp only, ppl most likely will lvl only there, and dratan and merac will be empty again. Merac parties was also very fun (giant larvas, dread garden, swamps). Think its best to set lvl cap to 50 at the start, so we will have multiple places to go to. And after add Eghea. Rates can be modified to some extent, not too much tho. SP farm should be lil bit easier, not too easy ofc.

Edit: I think it would be best to set up EP1 serv on EP2 or EP3 files, with locked content (lets say 90lvl max at the start) so the updates can be added later, everyone will be happy. Old players will enjoy old EP1 style and play, and the EP2 players and up will have a chance to know what LC was about, future updates can be discussed with the players in that time, and ofc there is room for updates that even old school LC players will like, it jst have to be done with brain.
A server launched designated to be successful will have dozens of noobies logging in all level one. Which means there will be groups of people who would progress in the game at the same rate as each other (at least level wise). So each map will have it's own select handful of people as most people will be maintaining similar levels with everyone else. As for rates I think official rates right down to the bone is the best way to go. If you go too easy on the rates the server becomes saturated with people who punch level cap in no time. Without EXP and SXP boosters available on the server the player base should all progress with each other. Retaining that grinding era that made the game fun to play.

The problem with cutting back EP2/EP3 files is you're locked to a newer client and feature set. There's no flexibility in compiled server files compared to my own source code. With a base platform laid out for EP1 updating the source to handle newer game versions wouldn't be a trivial task.

Tho as stated I haven't work on the project literally at all in like the past week. Not wanting to move back to Windows from my Linux platform has limited my development capabilities since the client is Windows only. I could run it through WINE but I also would have to run my packet tools and all that other jazz that won't likely work under the emulation layer to begin with. Hopefully I get more motivation when I migrate back to Windows to really push this project. It primarily a learning experience than trying to create the next best server.
Old 02/15/2015, 14:32   #38

elite*gold: 5493
I still dont get it why you want to write these Server Files from Scratch, it just makes no sense.
Even there is a Client Source for EP1 and the full Server Source also, so just writing it from Scratch is stupid as hell.
Also working with the Client Source is a way better then Coding all into the Server, which could probably make the Server even slower then he already is because of noob Code. (No insult but just sayin the possibilities.)
Old 02/15/2015, 21:32   #39

elite*gold: 124
Received Thanks: 3,141
The official source code is pretty bad. That's why there are so many bugs. Writing it from scratch might actually cause less bugs than it avoids.
Yet it's a heavy workload for a single person so we shouldn't expect a release anytime soon.
Old 02/16/2015, 04:07   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious B.I.G View Post
I still dont get it why you want to write these Server Files from Scratch, it just makes no sense.
There's a much larger learning experience from breaking down packet data and writing your own source.

Quote:
Even there is a Client Source for EP1 and the full Server Source also, so just writing it from Scratch is stupid as hell.
Messing with client source is of little interest to me. Who would want to alter the game into something that it's not? The clients available are perfectly stable and original. Building an emulator is solely basing the project off supporting an official client protocol. Messing with client source is pointless as it's pointless fixing something that's not broken. You can polish a turd but it's still just a turd.

Quote:
Also working with the Client Source is a way better then Coding all into the Server, which could probably make the Server even slower then he already is because of noob Code. (No insult but just sayin the possibilities.)
As stated above the client doesn't have any coherent issues as it sits. While never written an emulator before solely by myself I have a solid understanding of the integrity of a server (fast, efficient, stable and secure). There wasn't much thought put behind the official files. Technology and programming models have greatly improved since then. With the source being entirely my own I can also add stuff in freely to exceed the expectations of official files. A prime example is adding checks to patch all the stupid memory hacking that's possible on almost every server in existence. Which would stop the use of them on my files indefinitely (it's not possible to get around a server side check). Like said I don't have plans of creating the next best server because even if my files do end up finished I probably still won't run a server based on them. I don't invest a whole lot of time into the project so it could take me a year to make any major progress. Tho that is all depending on if I get my hands on a laptop, migrate my desktop back to Windows, among other aspects. I'm certainly not working on anyone else's schedule but mine. As most of you noticed I have been missing from the LC community for long periods of time.
Old 02/16/2015, 08:24   #41

elite*gold: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by -STORM- View Post
The official source code is pretty bad. That's why there are so many bugs. Writing it from scratch might actually cause less bugs than it avoids.
Yet it's a heavy workload for a single person so we shouldn't expect a release anytime soon.
Yes, but i guess even if a normal Developer code it, he will also cause bugs in it, that is something which every programmer knows.
And just imagine he Codes it all and then he may have more Bugs than before, that would be even sad tho.
But anyways, its good for pushing skills so keep on.
And dont use any other Language than cpp.
Old 02/16/2015, 21:48   #42

Quote:
Yes, but i guess even if a normal Developer code it, he will also cause bugs in it, that is something which every programmer knows.
And just imagine he Codes it all and then he may have more Bugs than before, that would be even sad tho.
But anyways, its good for pushing skills so keep on.
And dont use any other Language than cpp.
There will always be initial bugs in any software developed by any quality of developer. Tho with the source being your own (easy to manage) bug reports make it quite easy to find and fix them (thus you run a server in Alpha for a while letting people test everything). Coding errors are inevitable and no programmer can escape them. Thus why every desktop software you use (Chrome, CCleaner, Avast, etc) all get software updates to patch the problems the software may have. Lastly, C++ isn't the language I am working in nor is it a language that is mandatory for writing server files. You could write an emulator in pretty much anything you want whether it be C#, Java, Python, etc. Which are also none of the languages that I am using.