Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Coders Den > General Coding
You last visited: Today at 08:13

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Cheat Engine and Pointers problems

Discussion on Cheat Engine and Pointers problems within the General Coding forum part of the Coders Den category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Cheat Engine and Pointers problems

Hi there!
Kinda new to this entire scene so don't be too hard on me. :P

I've very recently picked up on AutoIT and are now trying to understand Memory Reading/Editing and Pointers.

I've chosen the game Grand Fantasia as my testing grounds at the moment because I like the game and want to learn more about it.

I've read a few posts about finding pointers, as well as FeonDust's quick-guide to finding HP pointers, however, I haven't had much luck figuring out of things.

I've gotten to the point where I've found the 2 addresses that changes together with my HP in-game, but when I add the first value to the cheat table but, when I try to click "Found out what accesses this address" i get 2 windows up. "the following opcodes accessed the selected address" and a smaller one called "Created Processes".

Now, my problem is that the small window "Created Processes" has a single 8 digit address that consists of both numbers and letters, but the other window regarding opcodes is empty.

Another thing I noticed is that if I try and see what's accessing the address while I'm recovering HP by sitting or other means, Cheat Engine crashes, so I have to wait until I've got full HP.

Am I doing something horribly wrong? Any clarifications or pointers on what I'm doing wrong would be really awesome!
Old 05/10/2010, 15:25   #2

elite*gold: 116
Grand Fantasia has a protection against debugging with cheatengine that's why it crashes.
To find out pointers use the Pointer scan Method that's already included in CE
Old 05/10/2010, 15:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbanane View Post
Grand Fantasia has a protection against debugging with cheatengine that's why it crashes.
To find out pointers use the Pointer scan Method that's already included in CE
Ah I see!
Is there anything special I need to do with the settings on the Pointer Search window as just running it with default settings will produce anything between 305,000 - 550,000 results which seems a bit over the top of excessive. :P

I already managed to find the values for Mob names? And Character name already relatively easy!

- Nieeru
Old 05/10/2010, 23:01   #4

elite*gold: 116
1. Scan for your desired value.
2. When you found it use Pointer scan for this address
3. Quit game and CE
4. Open game an CE again and search for yourdesired value again.
5. click on "pointer scan for this address" but on the first window click on cancel
6. Now click on "open" on top and select the file you saved the first pointer scan to
7. now click on "rescan memory" and enter the address of the value you found in step 4.
8. Now you should have found a pointer
Else do it using more "levels"
Old 05/11/2010, 21:23   #5

Alrighty. Gonna test this out now that I'm home, hopefully it produces something. :P
Is there any recommended Level to use when scanning for pointers though? Been sticking to Level 4 and 5 but they seem to produce an absurdly huge amount of probably pointers.

[ Edit: ]
Been trying out the method above now, but, I'm not really getting any wiser. It's either me doing something wrong/not really knowing what I'm looking for or that I'm using a too low/too high level.

Been trying levels ranging from 1 to level 6 now and it's never producing 1 value, think the lowest I've been to is 15-20 values using a Level 2 search.

I mean, I find 1-2 addresses of almost everything I do in Grand Fantasia right now, using the 0/1 search method for 4 byte values. I've read a few topics (I was gonna link them but I can't really find them again in the masses of threads there are on these forums!) so I guess one of the addresses or the single address that I've looked up are the "Base" Pointer/Address yeah?

For example; I figured I'd try testing it out with no-target/target on mobs, resulting in the single Address "009BAACC" in green being the only one after 2-3 tries. Looking at a few configs and sources around on the forum I quickly added '0x' at the start of it for it to match every other Mob Base Pointer out there.

What am I doing wrong so far? (Loving your work by the way, bassbanane)

-- Nieeru.
Old 05/13/2010, 20:49   #6

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated on the matter as it's been bugging me for quite a while now.

Edit:
Just read the rules announced at the top of the forum, so I'm sorry for double posting! >_<