Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 02:39

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Man Arrested for Virtual Theft in RuneScape

Discussion on Man Arrested for Virtual Theft in RuneScape within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 235
The Black Market: 135/1/0
Received Thanks: 17,757
Man Arrested for Virtual Theft in RuneScape

TimesOnline is reporting that a man, who allegedly hacked into several accounts for the MMOG RuneScape to steal virtual characters and items, has been arrested by the British Police e-Crime Unit. It is believed he obtained the log in information of various accounts by using a phishing scam, tricking unsuspecting players into giving him their personal details.

Real-world arrest for man who stole RuneScape virtual characters - Times Online
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/02/2009, 14:48   #2

elite*gold: 0
wtf?i dont think he got any "valuable" items.only some noobs got hacked.phishing is only "working" on noobs looking for hacks xD

anyway noone should be arrested for virtual goods theft unless they have a real life value.that guy got owned by the stupidity of the police xD
Old 12/02/2009, 14:51   #3

Phishing and password engineering work on anyone except extremely careful folks.
Old 12/03/2009, 14:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecz24 View Post
wtf?i dont think he got any "valuable" items.only some noobs got hacked.phishing is only "working" on noobs looking for hacks xD

anyway noone should be arrested for virtual goods theft unless they have a real life value.that guy got owned by the stupidity of the police xD
read the article... it has a quote from a man stating that a bag of gold or hammer or sword can be worht thousands of pounds.

but still... its runescape... its not even fully pay to play, so i agree with you. And i also agree that he prolly just hacked those that were looking to find hacks in the first place.
haha he was only given a police caution anyways.
Old 12/03/2009, 18:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
Phishing and password engineering work on anyone except extremely careful folks.

thats true
Old 12/06/2009, 18:18   #6

Acording to UK Law he can get 2years jail or Fine 1500pounds
Old 12/13/2009, 04:21   #7

stupid hacker
Old 12/17/2009, 18:15   #8

ah jesus christ that's lame , arrest someone for hacking a crappy game like runescape ...
Old 12/26/2009, 05:25   #9

Received Thanks: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfyr View Post
TimesOnline is reporting that a man, who allegedly hacked into several accounts for the MMOG RuneScape to steal virtual characters and items, has been arrested by the British Police e-Crime Unit. It is believed he obtained the log in information of various accounts by using a phishing scam, tricking unsuspecting players into giving him their personal details.

Haha wow this has go to be the funniest thing I have ever heard.
Since when is it illegal to phish?
Has it always been?

Tags
rs