Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 16:11

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Windows 10: Mozilla criticises Microsoft Edge as standard browser

Discussion on Windows 10: Mozilla criticises Microsoft Edge as standard browser within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 264
The Black Market: 1764/0/0
Windows 10: Mozilla criticises Microsoft Edge as standard browser

Microsoft's Windows 10 just became officially available since 29th of July 2015 and it has already been criticized by Mozilla. The CEO of Mozilla, Chris Beard, criticizes the overwriting of the previous settings by the latest upgrade. In an open letter he addresses Microsoft because with this update the default browser- and search engine-adjustments have been changed with the obvious intention, according to the CEO, of establishing Mircrosoft Edge and Microsoft's search engine Bing on the users systems. This way Microsoft Edge is being defined as default browser no matter what former browser had been chosen in the first place.

Mozilla's point of view is that users should not be forced to test Microsoft's software although they eventually do not want it. Furthermore they should regain complete control over choosing their favourite browser.

How do you like Windows 10 and the new Microsoft browser Bing so far? Feel free to share your thoughts with us!

Original: Windows 10: Mozilla kritisiert Microsoft Edge als Standard-Browser
Attached Images

Thanks
1 User
Old 08/16/2015, 10:34   #2

elite*gold: 28
Received Thanks: 2,649
The whole windows is **** and still needs a lot of adjustments.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/16/2015, 16:31   #3

elite*gold: 0
I hate bing search engine, imo google is simply better, as far as edge goes... this:
Old 08/16/2015, 17:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitEx View Post
I hate bing search engine, imo google is simply better, as far as edge goes... this:
Actually you couldn't me more wrong. Edge was built from the ground up.
Versions of internet explorer just before edge are now actually using the new backbone created for edge. So your picture should be the other way around.

Also There's nothing wrong with edge. It's using a lot of RAM but honestly, that's a good thing, why else would you have all that RAM? Edge is making good use of it by caching a lot of data, makes things go a lot faster! ^_^

EDIT: To stay more on topic. I think it's fine for microsoft to enfroce you to use Edge by default. Why not? It's their operating system. They're not blocking other sites (from browser developers). So if you want another browser you can just go to their download page and install it.

I mean the alternative would be for microsoft to include every single browser in windows just so you could choose. That'd be total bullshit in my opinion. If you want another browser, go to the page and download it. If that doesn't suite Mozilla, maybe they should make their own OS and set firefox as the default :>
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/16/2015, 18:11   #5
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,469
I have to say that Edge is pretty neat, but you can say that to a browser without any kind of plugin compatibility
Old 08/16/2015, 18:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalDark View Post
I have to say that Edge is pretty neat, but you can say that to a browser without any kind of plugin compatibility
They are adding in extension support later, see link below. I actually prefer them to do it this way. I'd rather have a neat browser that's working as intended than having them add extension support in a hurry, which may easily introduce security/performance hazards.

Old 08/16/2015, 18:21   #7

elite*gold: 666
Received Thanks: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ​Exo View Post
The whole windows is **** and still needs a lot of adjustments.
Why?
I see alot of kids complaining about windows 10 without giving any reasons.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/16/2015, 18:23   #8

elite*gold: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syc View Post
Why?
They did the same after Windows 8 came out. They probably don't have any other things to complain about.
Old 08/16/2015, 18:24   #9

elite*gold: 28
Received Thanks: 2,649
Quote:
Why?
Drivers are kinda messed up. Network adapters are just a pain, too much registry edits to get everything working. USB drivers don't work, at least with no work arounds. Even with the compatibility mode, not all of the drivers work.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/16/2015, 20:51   #10
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
Why?
Win10, with their bugs and driver issues now, is pretty crappy

later one, we could really get a good OS(except for the all the privacy leaks)
Old 08/16/2015, 21:09   #11

elite*gold: 666
Received Thanks: 2,417
Many problems with Win 10 come with a upgraded version. Consider a clean windows 10 install before judging. This helps in the most cases.

It seems like in 95% of all cases the drivers for Win 8.1 also work for 10 without any problems. single cases doesn't make a whole OS a bad one
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/16/2015, 22:36   #12
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
Many problems with Win 10 come with a upgraded version. Consider a clean windows 10 install before judging. This helps in the most cases.

It seems like in 95% of all cases the drivers for Win 8.1 also work for 10 without any problems. single cases doesn't make a whole OS a bad one
I decided to give it a week and then clean install it, that way if I have to format, it wouldnt be that risky
Old 08/17/2015, 17:29   #13

Chrome FTW this edge is .. oh *** no
Old 08/20/2015, 15:56   #14

elite*gold: 6
Quote:
Drivers are kinda messed up. Network adapters are just a pain, too much registry edits to get everything working. USB drivers don't work, at least with no work arounds. Even with the compatibility mode, not all of the drivers work.
how ancient is your machine? i've had no driver issues what so ever on my test alienware.
i would still recommend to wait until the first service pack is released

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnjavec123 View Post
Chrome FTW this edge is .. oh *** no
Chrome sucks ballz now
Old 09/09/2015, 10:51   #15

elite*gold: 294
Talking

Quote:
Im using it at home, at the office and on my Lenovo Yoga.
It has even more performance than Win 8.1.

At the Office I use a 2 yrs old PC with pretty mixed up hardware(some are 3-4 yrs old, some are brandnew).
-> Every driver was found - except the nvidia one - with the first boot. [Upgrade Win8.1 -> 10]

At home I have pretty new hardware.
-> Every driver was found - except the nvidia one again - within the first boot. [Upgrade Win8.1 -> 10]

On my Lenovo Yoga which is almost brandnew every driver - except the nvidia driver - was found within the first boot!! EVEN the special driver for the UMTS SIM-Card Module! [Clean Install]

So, 3 different hardwares, no issues (that nvidia thing annoying but not a problem).
Dunno what your doing :P

What do I think about Win10?

As the leading IT-Administrator in our Company I am forced to have my Systemsoftware up2date. After evaluating features, stability and performance we roll out the whole OSs on our employees Computers. No matter what the performance in combination with a SSD is great. Every single Software we are using (Telekom Netphone Clients, Lexware, Office Products, Mindmanagers, and many more) are running as smooth as with Win7.

The first thing you should ever do is:
- disabled UAC
- Change the "Owner" of the OS Partition to the Group of Administrators, not TRUSTED INSTALLER
- keep the System up2date with Windows Updates (make sure that you deselect unneeded ones)

Tags
microsoft