Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 02:27

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Battlefield 3: Chip from Nvidia enables the Game for Mobile Devices

Old   #1

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 5,336
Battlefield 3: Chip from Nvidia enables the Game for Mobile Devices

Battlefield 3 is a game, which doesn't only convince many gamers with its gripping gameplay, but also with graphic elements. Currently, it's only possible to play this game on computers and some notebooks due to high requirements. Not many people would have thought, that Battlefield 3 could soon be enjoyed on mobile devices as well - Nvidia now plans to launch a chip, which is supposed to make exactly this possible.

Nvidia's new project is called Kepler Mobile, which is said to make recent games compatible for tablets and smartphones, too. As already mentioned above, some kind of chip will be used, which should be able to overcome high graphic requirements and in this way ensure playability not only on consoles at home. Thereby for example shadows, water effects and representation of light are said to reach new dimensions.

Information about its official release have not appeared yet - but the imagination, to play games with high resolution on the way, isn't a bad thing, is it?

Attached Images

Thanks
6 Users
Old   #2

elite*gold: 0
I'm curious to as how the chip would work I mean would it work for only newly released phones or would I be able to use it on my droid.
I think this would be really cool tho!

Old   #3

Well that's stupid . first was on tablet , now on phone what next ? Tamaguji or Fax ?
Thanks
1 User
Old   #4

elite*gold: 3
Received Thanks: 1,333
I think this only applies to "Project Shield", and as far as I know, your PC has to do all the rendering and stuff anyway (so you'll be playing it on your PC and just streaming to your hand-held).

Thanks
4 Users
Old   #5

this does not apply to project shield (Tegra 3).. this is a demo of the Tegra 5 (currently only Tegra 3 is out).. The Tegra is a processor created by nvidia for the mobile platform, tablet or phone.
The nvidia roadmap shows the Tegra 5 to be planned in Q1 of 2014.

And yes the bf3 graphics where running from the Tegra 5. No pc was involved in it.
Old   #6

I think it is a move only to deceive some people and gain more customers. The actual reason why mobile devices can't contain strong components is there is no battery that is going to supply and sustain the power as much as it requires. If there is the battery ready to launch, then there is already strong cpu/gpus to insert to mobile devices. My opinion, Nvidia is only using the opportunity here. What i am trying to say is; it is not nvidia making it possible, it actually is the company which develops the stronger battery.
Old   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackynuup View Post
I think it is a move only to deceive some people and gain more customers. The actual reason why mobile devices can't contain strong components is there is no battery that is going to supply and sustain the power as much as it requires. If there is the battery ready to launch, then there is already strong cpu/gpus to insert to mobile devices. My opinion, Nvidia is only using the opportunity here. What i am trying to say is; it is not nvidia making it possible, it actually is the company which develops the stronger battery.
Yes and no.. ill explain why..
If you look where company's are heading at with boyd (bring your own device)
And you look at different mobile os (android, ubuntu os)

What company's are aiming at now is turning your smartphone/tablet into a desktop environment while providing power trough a mhl connection.

If we take ubuntu os, one of the key selling points it the desktop environment when the user connects the phone to a monitor.
This way the phone/tablet would be able to use the next generation chips better.

But i completely agree with you that the the lack of battery power thats holding development back
Old   #8

Fascinating.
Old   #9

I'm interested in seeing how they plan on addressing the heat issues. A chip that can render heavy 3d games, would have to get hot. How would they plan on keeping the chip cool, while a mobile device is held in your hand?

I'm suprised we have not yet seen features such as readyboost for phones, in which people would be able to use their memory cards (sd cards) as ram. The only issues are the fact that readyboost is used mostly on windows NT operating systems, and the fact that it can wear down the drives over a long period of use. If such software was combined with nvidia's chip, they could use the sd cards as video memory, and with a high enough core clock, could easily game on mobile devices.

Still, as stated by others, gaming on mobile devices sort of renders the whole mobile concept void, as you would have to recharge your battery frequently. As much as I want to see this happen, it will only further benefit those conspiracy theorists that claim the PC will become obsolete by these tablets and smart phones, something that will not happen in the forseeable future.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by epvper101 View Post
I'm interested in seeing how they plan on addressing the heat issues. A chip that can render heavy 3d games, would have to get hot. How would they plan on keeping the chip cool, while a mobile device is held in your hand?

I'm suprised we have not yet seen features such as readyboost for phones, in which people would be able to use their memory cards (sd cards) as ram. The only issues are the fact that readyboost is used mostly on windows NT operating systems, and the fact that it can wear down the drives over a long period of use. If such software was combined with nvidia's chip, they could use the sd cards as video memory, and with a high enough core clock, could easily game on mobile devices.

Still, as stated by others, gaming on mobile devices sort of renders the whole mobile concept void, as you would have to recharge your battery frequently. As much as I want to see this happen, it will only further benefit those conspiracy theorists that claim the PC will become obsolete by these tablets and smart phones, something that will not happen in the forseeable future.
Just as the chips on laptop, strong chips can be used with low clock rates. As an example while i was cleaning my friend's laptop i realized that the heatsink on it's gpu(gt630m) was small enough to fit in a tablet. However it gets around 90C which is still too hot but not going to burn it. But yeah heat is another issue that is holding mobile devices back today. GPU's like gt 630m are also not strong enough to play these games on ultra detailed settings and a real powerful gpu will probably heat much more than 90C with that heatsink. However you can play it with medium/high based default settings with such a low end gpu.
Old   #11

Ultra graphics are not neccisary for mobile devices. I would be happy with low graphics on such a game like BF3. Considering the consumer's views on flash-based games on the market, and games like angry birds, people who use their mobile devices are happy enough to have low-detail games, let alone games such as battlefield. I also don't think these will be designed for gaming on the go, but rather the ability to game on your phone as if it were a pc, when your at home. It would serve to be a light-weight pc that can be carried to a friends house, and established to play games there. They will most likely release cases/sleeves for mobile devices designed to offer cooling (atleast that's what i think will be done for now). After looking at what sony did with their PSP system, it's not out of the question to have on-the-go high quality gaming. It is only a matter of design.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #12

nvidia goes nuts
Old   #13

Yet Nvidia's ideas is great and especially that Kelper's architecture in the PC's hardware are only made for profesionnal graphics and video applications ,etc.. But not for gaming because it doesn't support gaming drivers ! But it think it's a great ideas because even if they wont performe the same as 100~600 series because it's mini and with less core clock , memory bandwidth !
Thanks
1 User
Old   #14

ok whats new,,,

Tags
bf 3, nvidia