Not a member yet? Register for your free account!

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 20:45

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Ubisoft & Take Two: Does digital Distribution endanger Publishers?

Old   #1
elite*gold: 1
The Black Market: 96/0/0
Received Thanks: 5,336
Post Ubisoft & Take Two: Does digital Distribution endanger Publishers?

Some of you might know his name - Ex-Battlefield brand manager Ben Cousins. He predicted in an interview with Gamasutra, that publishers like Take Two or Ubisoft could vanish at all. Reason for this is the switch to digital-driven markets.

"I don't think that any of the independent publishers at the moment will be big players in 10 years' time; I think there will be either companies that have just emerged or whom haven't been founded yet. Ubisoft, I think are in a really dangerous position, and Take-Two are in a dangerous position, THQ obviously aren't going to be around for much longer I don't think", said Ben in a recently published interview with Gamasutra, held at the end of 2012. Back then, the former manager at EA proved to be right with this statement towards THQ.

Cousins thinks quite differently of his old employer. EA already has already started restructuring according to his statements: "When I was at EA, the public view and it was also used internally was that they would transform EA from a packaged goods business into a digital business, and they would always talk about higher margins on digital."

The reality looks somewhat different. In comparison of distribution types currently used by Ubisoft and EA, Ubisoft reaches more customers, due to its own UPlay-platform and Steam, than EA, which only distributes via its Origin platform.

Attached Thumbnails
Ubisoft & Take Two: Does digital Distribution endanger Publishers?-anhang.jpg  

6 Users
Old   #2
elite*gold: 0
The Black Market: 1/0/0
In my opinion EA should allow other companies like Steam to sell their exclusive games like Battlefield 3, it is annoying to have one account for Origin and another for Steam. Also I really hate some policies of Origin, like the one for changing the email of your account, it is very annoying.

take two, ubisoft