Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 13:50

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

The Secret World drops mandatory monthly fee

Discussion on The Secret World drops mandatory monthly fee within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
The Secret World drops mandatory monthly fee

"We believe the game has the potential to be even more successful without the subscription entry barrier"

These were the words from Joel Bylos, game director, when it was announced that The Secret World is dropping its mandatory monthly fee feature, as now it has been turned into an optional monthly payment for bonuses.

Basically, from now on, anyone wanting to play this game will just need to pay the $30 to get the game, and will get all the current content of it without having to pay anything else.

This doesn't mean that the game's shop will dissappear, the opposite will happen, as it will get enhanced and new items will be added, as well as discounts for paid subscribers and, obviously, lifetime members. But don't be alarmed lifetime members, as you will be getting points on monthly basis, so that there will be something good coming from your old subscription.

What type of items can we expect to see added to the game store?

According to Joel Bylos, players can expect XP boosts and Run Speed upgrades, yet weapons and talismans are completely dismissed from the list.

"We won’t be selling weapons, talismans or anything that can be considered power in the store. So we’ll definitely dream up more clothing, pets and other great stuff that people can get their hands on."

As well, Joel has said that this transition is being done due to the subscription "not paying off". Yet, it is being promised that the quality of the game and its content won't change.

"While I’m game director I don’t want the bar to drop at all. As lead content designer I was responsible for setting that quality level in all cases, so I don’t expect the quality to change. As for updates, I don’t really want to say monthly, because then people want to hold us to a 30 day plan, but the aim is to carry on with regular updates."

Attached Thumbnails
The Secret World drops mandatory monthly fee-tsw.jpg  
Thanks
3 Users
Old 12/13/2012, 16:18   #2

elite*gold: 0
Any opinion on the game so far ?
Old 12/13/2012, 16:58   #3

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Personally, I haven't played the game yet; but I will be getting it in a couple of weeks as it doesn't require a monthly fee anymore
Old 12/13/2012, 17:54   #4

elite*gold: 10
thanks
Old 12/13/2012, 18:10   #5

elite*gold: 322
really excited about that, because I really thought they would do it like Rift ... NEVER GO F2P!

And for those who actually subscribe for a longer or shorter period of time, they will get rewarded with nice stuff, so no actual restricstions for those who are playing it for free, really love it, just waiting now for my download to finish
Old 12/16/2012, 00:32   #6

elite*gold: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provo Kid View Post
Any opinion on the game so far ?
The setting of the game is great they basically took a modern day setting crammed in as much lovecraft as they could and made a game out of it! The story/setting is where The Secret World really shines

The combat is pretty "meh" though its kinda of like GW2's combat system but a little worse with a skill wheel that lets you mix and match diffrent weapon skills(which is great) and theres no levels in this game so thats a thing aswell
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/16/2012, 08:39   #7

oh sweet loved this game in beta but hated the thought of a monthly fee thanks for the info
Old 12/17/2012, 22:41   #8

I played this game back in Beta and thought to myself: "Ugh, you couldn't pay me enough money to play this dreck!"
Old 01/28/2013, 14:24   #9

Very cool this video!
Old 01/29/2013, 19:55   #10

nice

verui nuaice
Old 02/11/2013, 05:53   #11

Glad I happened across this thread thank you very much.

Any updated opinions for The Secret World?

Actually I think I'll give it a go now - though I don't see how this current scheme is financially sustainable. But I like the effort.
Old 02/19/2013, 20:39   #12

Thats an awesome game with alot of quests ( Without quest you cant go forward ), nice skill system you have very much scope do do with your skill wheel ...
Theres for me one thing that makes the game a little bit boring that is : If you don't play with ur friends ( only at the same time ) You will get fast bored because you do only quests in this game and if ur friend just miss a quest you have to wait for him or if he can't play at the same time it just wont make some sense to play with him , except when you're higher and make some dungeons and pvp together , To find a quest group at the start is also hard .... So if you like mysterious and secretfull quests with an nice story its the right game for you ( You will have to spoil alot because some quests are so ******* hard ^^ )
For me still a great game I recommend it to you ...

Tell me If you need any special informations or just look some "Let's Play TSW" in yt ^ ^

Edit: If you buy The Secret World from Steam you will get some free stuff like Steam clothes , Some Random start Weapons a cat when I remember right and I also got 1000Free Cash points( I got them all like a month or more ago but I guess its still like this )
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/22/2013, 23:46   #13

Is that a nice game? Someone played it so far?